• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are Middlesex right in taking on Phil Hughes?

Are Middlesex justified in signing up Australian Test players before an Ashes series?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Of course they're right. Counties should do whatever it takes to win, then worry about the national team.
DWTA so strongly it almost comes through the screen. But for the national team there would be no counties, they'd all have gone bankrupt several decades ago.

However, the game of cricket is more important than any team. If it improves the quality of cricket having Hughes play in England pre-Ashes, then that's what it does, and such is a good thing. It's why I'm a sincere advocate of international teams playing tour-games by the bucketload on a tour. It raises the quality of cricket, and that is the most important consideration.

If you want home advantage you can prepare pitches to advantage yourself in the Tests, but it's placing your own interests above those of the game IMO to deliberately try to deny players practice and preparation.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To paraphrase Ricky Ponting, where any poms complaining when James Anderson was getting match practice with Auckland ahead of the series in NZ?
No, they were probably pleased that someone in NZ was willing to help their national side out. And now are a little disappointed that the favour is being returned. It goes without saying that if most people can get something for nothing they will.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
DWTA so strongly it almost comes through the screen. But for the national team there would be no counties, they'd all have gone bankrupt several decades ago.

However, the game of cricket is more important than any team. If it improves the quality of cricket having Hughes play in England pre-Ashes, then that's what it does, and such is a good thing. It's why I'm a sincere advocate of international teams playing tour-games by the bucketload on a tour. It raises the quality of cricket, and that is the most important consideration.
There are 3 interests here:
(1) the success of the England team;
(2) the success of the County side; and
(3) the overall standard of county cricket.

You seem to be saying that (1) is more important than (2) - a reasonable position to take (although some might disagree with it).

But then you seem to be saying that (3) is more important than (2) or even (1).

Do you really think that "the overall standard of county cricket" should be a higher priority for any given County than either that County winning games or than England succeeding?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It came up before the 06/07 Ashes when a lot of clubs here were lining up to get Fred to play for them ahead of the Ashes. As Sutherland said, like the ECB, the CA don't have much say in the matter really:

Australia ready to help Flintoff
That article pretty much closes the case as far as I'm concerned. Egg firmly on the faces of Strauss and Lloyd for saying "could you imagine Australia doing it for us?".

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Absolutely right. I am from the Bishan Bedi school of thought (he was known for working with batsmen of opposing teams, offering them tips on how to play spin in India even right before the series). Cricket is a small community, anything that helps the standards and makes better players is fine by me. No time for this nationalistic nonsense.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
In an era of Tests being threatened, why wouldn't you want more cross collaboration. England is one thing, but there are a few places that where it is notoriously hard to win. Australia for everyone, South Africa for subcontinental sides, India for non-subcontinental sides. People loved series like 2001 in India, 2005 Ashes, recent Aus-SA Test series because they were fought closely. Anything the administrators can do to encourage things like that should be absolutely welcome.

On the one hand, I support home boards using radically different pitches because that's a huge part of what makes cricket fun in different countries. On the other hand, I want players to learn how to play in all of them. I like Indian batsmen not being shocked at a ball coming above knee height, and I also loved Andy Flower coming to India and absolutely dominating spin.

Parochial stuff like this is fun, and since Australia are a better side than England anyway, this has less importance, but I've no time for that nonsense. The same thing happened when Australia last toured India, and people were complaining that the practice facilities given to the Australian team to train were way too good, with too many pitches and things like that. It's ludicrous.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
And it's not a given that Hughes was going to be the hit here he has been.

There's nothing saying he wouldn't have struggled in English conditions and we'd have a game plan for him in the Ashes.

As it happens, he's owned some crap bowlers but it wasn't completely guaranteed (though I couldn't see him struggling in Div 2 tbph).

Craig

World Traveller
I wouldn't have signed him as I want my O/S player to be there for the full season, or as much of it as possible. But I would love to see KP or Flintoff or whoever have a spell for a State team before the Ashes.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why the **** are Channel 7 calling Phil Hughes possibly the next Don Bradman?

This 'Sunday Night' show is the biggest joke ever.

FFS!

Burgey

Short kid from the bush with unorthodox technique flays bowling in early FC and Test career.

It's obvious Hughes = Bradman :ph34r:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Why the **** are Channel 7 calling Phil Hughes possibly the next Don Bradman?

This 'Sunday Night' show is the biggest joke ever.

FFS!
And you're shocked why?

As a Tigers fan, surely there are no depths the media scum can sink to that would shock you anymore.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And you're shocked why?

As a Tigers fan, surely there are no depths the media scum can sink to that would shock you anymore.
Haha, there's scum, and then there's just dumb.

Why put such pressure on the kid? He was playing so beautifully before this ****.

The Indian media cops a lot for pumping up your Ishant's, Dhoni's and Pathan's, but by God they never compared them to Bradman.

Top_Cat

Haha, there's scum, and then there's just dumb.

Why put such pressure on the kid? He was playing so beautifully before this ****.

The Indian media cops a lot for pumping up your Ishant's, Dhoni's and Pathan's, but by God they never compared them to Bradman.
No Bradman in their cricketing history to compare to. :ph34r:

Anyway, wasn't Yuvraj apparently in Tendulkar's class for talent after his first match? And as far as Pathan goes, for a leftie quick being compared to Wasim, you may as well compare him to Bradman!

Last edited:

FBU

International Debutant
Players in this Australian Ashes squad have scored 25528 runs in county cricket. England players in state cricket 0. :)

One of Hughes coaches three years ago - Graham Thorpe.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No Bradman in their cricketing history to compare to. :ph34r:

Anyway, wasn't Yuvraj apparently in Tendulkar's class for talent after his first match? And as far as Pathan goes, for a leftie quick being compared to Wasim, you may as well compare him to Bradman!
Haha, but every leftie is compared to Wasim.

Redbacks

International Captain
Timing is a factor of course, Gibbs would be the overseas player but whilst away at the IPL the spot opened up nicely for Hughes.