• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umer Rashid

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Couldn't see a date but the mention of Hollioake's death tells me that it was 2002 - CW definitely was around then. jeez, I'd never heard of this either, horrible

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
He's sadly missed at Sussex. He was really highly regarded as a player and as a lad and his death hit everyone at the club very hard, and he is still well remembered. During his short career never really did justice to his talent.

His brother died in the same incident. Complete tragedy.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I remember the incident fairly well because it came on the back of Hollioake's death. He'd never really set the world alight, but was apparently very gifted. I think I saw him play once against Lancashire. Don't think he did anything that day either.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember this. Was rather shocking, but I really didn't hear much about the incident in the aftermath, come to think of it.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Terrible incident. It was a really bad year or so, with Umer Rashid, Ben Hollioake, and also Laurie Williams and Trevor Madondo. All extremely sad.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I remember the incident fairly well because it came on the back of Hollioake's death. He'd never really set the world alight, but was apparently very gifted.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Could have been a good county player if such tragedy had not struck.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Couldn't see a date but the mention of Hollioake's death tells me that it was 2002 - CW definitely was around then.
It was almost exclusively a NZ\Aus site in those days though (there was precious little discussion of the 2002 county season) so I wouldn't imagine there was much if any mention of it.

Certainly there was nothing about Laurie Williams, who died on my 17th birthday in equally awful circumstances (head-on car crash) and he was a player of far more note than Rashid.

There is a thread created about Ben Hollioake's death, but not surprisingly given the lack of traffic in those days it wasn't much replied-to. Completely different in 2004 when another terrible incident, the David Hookes one, unfolded.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not surprised. Just a shame that first-rate dickhead responsible for his death hasn't been refused accommodation anywhere from then on.

Those responsible for employing dickheads like him probably deserved to go out of business though, so some consolation there.