• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

End of the Test road for Symonds

Is its over ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

biased indian

International Coach
Dont know where this should be posted here or in ashes thread

But i think Aussie selectors should have selected symmonds ahead of Mcdonald ...

and with him not being selected for ashes tour has he played the last test already for australia ???

Benaud

Banned
TBH the bloke didn't even deserve to have his CA contract renewed.

Couldn't score a run for QLD, and has done nothing notable for Australia for a long time. Just happens that Hilditch is in love with him.

I don't think he'll see much, if any test cricket again, especially if Watson can stay fit.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Didn't deserve to have his CA contract renewed? What he's still a fantastic limited overs player.

Athlai

Not Terrible
What has he done over the past 12-18 months that deserves an Australian contract?
One of the greatest limited overs players in the history of the game deserves to be shunted when no one else has cemented his position in the team?

With Clarke captaining him over the past two years:
MJ Clarke as Capt 2008-2009 235 @ 39.16 SR 88.01

Not to his usual lofty standards but then again he's hardly been giving the chance to play. Dropping Symonds from Australia's limited overs lineup would be a huge mistake. Though as a Kiwi fan go for it!

jondavluc

State Regular
Yes sadly love the bloke and all that but I don't think he has much of a future in the baggy green.One day cricket for sure though:happy:.

pasag

RTDAS
Reckon that he'll sneak a Test in sometime in the future, when someone gets injured.
Yep. Still a lot of Test cricket to come in the short term, will be very surprised if he doesn't play again.

The media have gone a bit overboard with the whole Symonds dropped thing. A bit absurd really.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
shocking that they picked mcdonald ahead of him, macdonald is not and will never be a test quality bowler or batsmen, you need to be at least close to one of those. His kind of bowling may have been hand in England 20 years ago but it won't now.

P.S. If you want to know what a poorly informed english fan is thinking, listen to the switch hit cricket show on cricinfo, England has a seriously good attack....lol.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Don't think the door is shut on Symonds just yet. A cricket who is an integrel member of the one day side, has the support of the national captain, and has a very good test record, cannot be written off for good.

Score some runs for Queensland, keep his name out of the newspaper headlines, and Symonds will remain in Test contention.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Don't think the door is shut on Symonds just yet. A cricket who is an integrel member of the one day side, has the support of the national captain, and has a very good test record, cannot be written off for good.

Score some runs for Queensland, keep his name out of the newspaper headlines, and Symonds will remain in Test contention.
Not sure about 'integral member of the ODI side', I don't think he's the player he was, his confidence has taken such a knocking it will effect him more than most players. At 33 the clock is ticking, with Shane Watson fit it's even more difficult for him. The T20 world cup will be huge for his career, a few big performances (big 50s or even a 100) there with the bat could rocket him back into contention, otherwise it's looking bleak. Won't have too many opportunities for the Bulls before the tests start this winter.

I think it's unlikely Watson will get through 5 tests on the trot, macdonald isn't close to a replacement, even an out of form symonds would have been better, if only for his fielding and intimidation factor.

Jakester1288

International Regular
has the support of the national captain
As well as the vice captain.

He will play test cricket again for Australia. I don't think he should have been included in the Ashes squad, because he is playing poorly, in bad form, not scoring runs at domestic level and everyone expects him to just walk into the side. When he makes some runs in domestic, first class cricket, he should get selected again if Watson and North are not performing too well, but knowing the selectors, a few big limited overs scores could bring him back into the side.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think it's a long way back if McDonald is viewed as a better test option currently.

Clearly an incredibly talented guy (what a nutural athlete he must be, given his well-documented "refuelling" issues), but I do think he's alienated quite a few would-be allies (although not the captain, apparently, which could be handy) so isn't viewed as worth the extra arse-ache he'd bring.

Needs to get off the bevy and onto a 12-step program looking at it from the outside. Guy seems to have a real problem and he's not a kid anymore (34 this year?).

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
I think it's over.

Whatever he has done outside of cricket which has pissed CA off, they would've picked him if they thought he was good enough I'm sure.

The fact that MacDonald, Watson and North are ahead of him (in CA's view) in the pecking order says alot considering none of those are anywhere near test level and Symonds is handy @ No.6.

Plus, he is almost 34. He doesn't have that much time in cricket at the highest level left.

Watson, North & McDonald though nowhere near as good a player as Symonds, are younger and it's obvious CA will try to give them experience wherever possible.

I think the 16-man Ashes squad for Austrlia is a joke in general. No way are they favourites with that squad.

jondavluc

State Regular
I think it's over.

Whatever he has done outside of cricket which has pissed CA off, they would've picked him if they thought he was good enough I'm sure.

The fact that MacDonald, Watson and North are ahead of him (in CA's view) in the pecking order says alot considering none of those are anywhere near test level and Symonds is handy @ No.6.

Plus, he is almost 34. He doesn't have that much time in cricket at the highest level left.

Watson, North & McDonald though nowhere near as good a player as Symonds, are younger and it's obvious CA will try to give them experience wherever possible.

I think the 16-man Ashes squad for Austrlia is a joke in general. No way are they favourites with that squad.
Botham is that you.8-)

Yeah the Aussie team surely won't win with such a superior attack to come up against.I mean any team that beat the mighty West indies surely must start as favourites.

Matt79

Global Moderator
He'll be 34 by the time the Ashes is over I believe. Hard to see him forcing his way back into the team from there. Don't think he cares enough to try either, frankly. Not when he can make $$$ in the IPL.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I think it's over.

Talk to us after the series - feel a lot more confident with McDonald in there than Symonds. Little Ranga will reliably get his job done, allowing Johnson et al to do what they need to do. And he's finding his feet with the bat.