• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICL Releases Players

Polo23

International Debutant
The ICL has decided to release around 50 players who had sought a return to official cricket. Those released are believed to include New Zealand's Shane Bond, Pakistan's Imran Nazir and Naved-ul-Hasan, Bangladesh's Habibul Bashar and Deep Dasgupta, Abhishek Jhunjhunwala and Hemang Badani from India.
Cricinfo - ICL releases 50 players before amnesty deadline

Oh Bondy how I love you! Please come back to us!!!!

[end]man love moment[/end]

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Please, please, please don't let this include Mohammad Sami. I really thought that this time we'd got rid of him for sure. Bad enough to have Imran Nazir possibly being in the mix again.

Oh, and does anyone really expect much more out of Bond?

James_W

U19 Vice-Captain
Please, please, please don't let this include Mohammad Sami. I really thought that this time we'd got rid of him for sure. Bad enough to have Imran Nazir possibly being in the mix again.

Oh, and does anyone really expect much more out of Bond?
Hell yeah. :cool:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think anyone who is doing so is going to be disappointed. Bond had already decided to retire from Tests (he might now have reversed that decision and I think if he has he'll regret it badly), is going to be 34 years old a couple of weeks on from this post, and has always had a fragile body.

It's very unlikely Bond has much left to give at the top level, but he's a class player so it'd clearly be foolhardy to count him out completely.

Flem274*

123/5
Hadlee had most of his body parts though

Hope Tuffey gets released, he rips it up in FC cricket, and is way better than Southee, Mills and Gillespie in tests.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How old was Hadlee when he took 9 wickets against Australia?
As Phelgm has said, Hadlee's fitness record is hardly comparable to Bond's, is it? Hadlee had the perfect natural action, Bond's action just asks for injury - and has got it, multiple times.

Flem274*

123/5
As Phelgm has said, Hadlee's fitness record is hardly comparable to Bond's, is it? Hadlee had the perfect natural action, Bond's action just asks for injury - and has got it, multiple times.
Its not actualy his action, its not perfect but it isn;t poor. Its the stress fractures he was unlucky enough to enjoy at 15 years old that screwed him over.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Said stress-fractures have recurred several times over his career though, have not they?

And with that bending-backwards action, it's hardly surprising either.

Flem274*

123/5
Said stress-fractures have recurred several times over his career though, have not they?

And with that bending-backwards action, it's hardly surprising either.
The action doesn't help no, but iirc its not definitely because of it.

He also used to be a rank medium pacer before bulking up in the police force, so he was quite late to fast bowling.

Also onve you get one stress fracture, don't the chances of another skyrocket?

Polo23

International Debutant
Bond was far and away the best domestic bowler in the T20 comp last season. No one even came close to touching him really. Obviously it's only T20, but you can tell if someone is a better bowler than someone else.

Bond has been pretty injury free for a couple of years now. I think he could come back and play ODI cricket, he may as well give it a shot. Hey, if he gets injured it's not like NZ are in any worse of a position than currently are they?

Edit: and on Bond's action. Before he changed it it was the best action in the game (and still probably is), was fluid to the crease and generated express pace with what seemed ease. Obviously it was also bone shattering on the body, but man did it look good.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Haha Richard stop repeating that Bond was going to retire line. Bond even recently conjectured that he'd love to get back in the mixup for the longer form of the game after such a good length of fitness.

Probably only has 2 years left now though.

Craig

World Traveller
Why is Mohammad Sami rank against everybody else but against New Zealand he actually does something? Especially when he goes on tour there :dry:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha Richard stop repeating that Bond was going to retire line.
Why? That's about as certain as anything to be the way it was.
Bond even recently conjectured that he'd love to get back in the mixup for the longer form of the game after such a good length of fitness.
I know - I said that as well. However, as I also said, I think that'd be a mistake.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Why? That's about as certain as anything to be the way it was.

I know - I said that as well. However, as I also said, I think that'd be a mistake.
So I reckon we should wait and see what Bond has to say on the whole matter before we decide anything.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why? That's the future. I'm talking about the past.

I don't find it at all inconceivable that Bond will make himself available for Tests, but I think that'd be a mistake because he made the opposite decision when he was thinking more clearly and less romantically - ie, the decision he made in December 2007 was the sensible one.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Why? That's the future. I'm talking about the past.

I don't find it at all inconceivable that Bond will make himself available for Tests, but I think that'd be a mistake because he made the opposite decision when he was thinking more clearly and less romantically - ie, the decision he made in December 2007 was the sensible one.
Perhaps this long period of rest did him all the good in the world.