• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICL Releases Players

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, Ok, just no.

Giving up is no way out btw, unless you want to get no where. You fall off the horse, you get your ass back on it and try again.
And fall off again... unless of course you've worked-out how to do it without falling off in the meantime.

There comes a time in every fight when the person who is constantly being beaten must recognise that he cannot win, and retreat. It is infinitely the best thing for him to do. To continue to fight a losing battle can do no good.
When you're down in the dumps and miserable about missing out (and this can apply to any sport really) due to injury, the very last thing you should do is think about retirement.

The best time to think about retirement is when you are in a decent position do judge so as subjectively as possibly or if you have something else you'd rather be doing.
As I say - generally you realise most that there's something you'd rather be doing than spending half the year working your way back from injury and the other half wondering when you're next going to fall down when you've just fallen for the umpteenth time.

I'd say that gives the soundest perspective, rather than having been off somewhere else for ages and sheltered from the realities with which you used to be so familiar.

Grass is always greener and all that.

It's easy to forget just how trying the fight against constant injury can be when you've not had to fight it for a while.

Flem274*

123/5
Your (morbid) logic is all well and good, but then explain why Oram and Watson keep trying? Are they stupid?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There comes a time in every fight when the person who is constantly being beaten must recognise that he cannot win, and retreat. It is infinitely the best thing for him to do. To continue to fight a losing battle can do no good.
The skill is actually not to enter a battle you cant win. Once involved then you better keep trying. Quitting never helped anyone.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
If only you took your own advice. 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I do. I just also tend to take the advice in the post above yours - ie, don't enter a losing battle ITFP.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Your (morbid) logic is all well and good, but then explain why Oram and Watson keep trying? Are they stupid?
I've long wondered whether they're going to keep failing TBH. In fact I'd say it's more likely than not, much as I hope one day the both may indeed conquer injury.

Seriously though - how likely do you think it is?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Regarding the first post, I think this could be very useful in strengthening the Indian domestic game. After the exodus of players to the ICL, a few domestic players got a chance to shine such as Tyagi and Kulkarni and now with the old players back, there will be a competition for places that can only be beneficial.

Howsie

International Captain
So the young Indians that left to go and play in the ICL, will the BCCI or India ever pick them to play for India in the future. Or will they always have some sort of hatred towards them, because didn't a lot of them sign up not knowing it was a rebel league.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As a thread not so long ago mentioned, the BCCI are apparently willing to welcome back players who disassociate with the ICL now.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
As a thread not so long ago mentioned, the BCCI are apparently willing to welcome back players who disassociate with the ICL now.
It is extremely promising. That being said, not too many Indian players in the ICL will go on to play for India, although the exception is Ali Murtaza who may play for India in ODIs or T20s in the future. He had a superb economy throughout the ICL and really was a standout bowler.

Flem274*

123/5
I've long wondered whether they're going to keep failing TBH. In fact I'd say it's more likely than not, much as I hope one day the both may indeed conquer injury.

Seriously though - how likely do you think it is?
We don't know. They may get a good run from now on, they may give away the bowling (which would help). But as long as they want to keep trying, then i don't think its anyones place to tell them to stop.

Howsie

International Captain
It would be very, very stupid for the selectors to not pick him.
Well I don't think we will see him in Sri Lanka, he will have to play some sort of cricket first-class cricket before playing for NZ again. But hey I could be wrong, he still looked as sharp as ever in the NZ 20/20 comp. Maybe the selectors will back him on those performances.

Flem274*

123/5
SL is a seamers nightmare, so picking him with little match practice and that fragile body is setting him up for an epic fail.

Bond says he always feels less likely to get injured when he's got some bowling under his belt and with his new slight drop in pace has been a lot more injury free than in the past. Sure he had that one injury, but before that he'd played a whole season of cricket and that injury in SA was at the start of the season iirc, so it was always a risk.

So perhaps SL is a bit risky, unless he gets some NZ A games under his belt or something first.

Can see Tuffey and Vincent on the flight to Sri Lanka though.

brockley

International Captain
Bond should be in ASAP.
wonder what effect ICL players make an impact coming back,surely some could play IPL.
pakistani 1's back into the nz team,so is tuffey coming back too,50 players signed the deadlines,very quite on those who actually released.

brockley

International Captain
I think those who have been released will be leaked out.
Justin kemp pulled the plug on ICL and will return for the cape cobras next year,will have to wait 12 months before he can represent s africa again tho.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I think those who have been released will be leaked out.
Justin kemp pulled the plug on ICL and will return for the cape cobras next year,will have to wait 12 months before he can represent s africa again tho.
Kempie will still be a Kolpak, thus not able to represent SA. He wouldn't get a gig in the one day or 20/20 side anyhow. Albie has won more games than he ever did and unlike Justin, still bowls.

Only van der Wath could offer something to the national side but he too is Kolpak.

Strengthens the domestic scene but internationally, Kempie, Zulu, Hall, Boje, Hayward et cetera don't have anymore more to give.