• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICL Releases Players

brockley

International Captain
According to bangla cricket 5 have just walked out bashar walked previosuly.
The icl have 8/9 teams they will have to sack 3/4 teams with all the walk outs.
Unsustainable now i think.

Smith

Banned
A failed venture. They really had no "cause to fight against" as opposed to what the WSC had in really. Players' pay back those days were abysmally low and WSC brought out a change. Plus it revolutionised other aspects like DN cricket, colored clothes.

This one really was a on the spur business decision by a short sighted corporate moghul who underestimated the BCCI and the Indian team in the wake of the 2007 WC debacle and who overestimated the cricket fans' capacity to remember such debacles for a long time.

It in fact helped the BCCI by getting rid of a lot of oldies and mediocre talent from the FC system and inject fresh blood.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Johan van der Wath (:)) and Nantie Hayward have also cut ties with the ICL and are returning back to domestic cricket. No news yet on Zulu, Boje, Benkenstein or Hall.
God, I hope van der Wath doesn't come back to ODIs. Could possibly make a useful Test player though, although he's getting on these days. There's also the fact that he'd have to cut his Kolpak ties, which was beyond McLaren.

Thought the ICL was the best thing to happen to Hayward - will he be welcomed back?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A failed venture. They really had no "cause to fight against" as opposed to what the WSC had in really. Players' pay back those days were abysmally low and WSC brought out a change. Plus it revolutionised other aspects like DN cricket, colored clothes.
The ICL and WSC were the exact same thing - a TV executive didn't get the rights he wanted so he decided to steal as many players as he could get his hands on.

WSC wasn't any form of revolution, it was just a venture which required groundbreaking things like day\night cricket to survive. As for coloured clothing, that really isn't either here nor there. Cricket is cricket whatever colour clothing you play it in.

WSC has come to be recognised 30 years later as bonny freedom fighting because of the fact that pay-rates were so low in those days, but there really is no "too low" - if at any time a player can get more money by accepting a different offer he has the right to. You may have to make sacrifices, and playing for your country was one of them in the ICL\WSC case. Players who chose to turn their back on their country's team to play in a TV executive's pointless competition had full right to do so if they wanted more money, whether it was going from high pay to very high pay or low pay to moderate pay.

The big difference this time is that the cricket boards appear to have had the tools (and the luck) to fight the TV executive and win the battle. With a bit of luck, the ACB in the 1970s might've beaten Packer, and the game might well have been better for it; I don't doubt it will be better for the BCCI beating Chandra - if such an outcome happens, and it hasn't done so yet.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Hayward has lost his pace, and so is left an extremely average cricketer (as if he wasn't before), at least, that is the visible impression I got from watching him in county cricket and in the ICL - he is still quite the scattergun.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe if Hayward had actually listened to people he might've amounted to something. Not to be.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
According to bangla cricket 5 have just walked out bashar walked previosuly.
The icl have 8/9 teams they will have to sack 3/4 teams with all the walk outs.
Unsustainable now i think.
I hope Aftab Ahmed is one of the ones who has walked out.

He's a talented little cricketer I rate very highly. Bangladesh I'm sure would love to have him in their T20 squad.

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
Imran Nazir has submitted his NOC from ICL, so he's also back. I wish all Pakistani players leave ICL

Xuhaib

International Coach
EXACTLY, & the main thing is, what else Pakistan has :laugh:
he is far better than these Salman Butt, Ahmed shehzad etc
Butt only knows how to score against India, that's it
& that too at a very slow rate
Don't insult Ahmed Shezad by comparing him with a slogger like Nazir.