• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andre Nel

Ander Nel

I think this guy needs a good dose of diazepam, the guy is a hostile player that causes hatred, he follows through his run up and stares at the batsman and has a word to say and does so to stir them up and this is not good sportsmanship, I think the ICC should suspend him because passion and determination is one thing, but blatant hostility and intimidation via force is not acceptable in our sport which is the greatest sport in the world.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think we were watching the same game.

You mean the Andre Nel who kept trying to get up Michael Vaughan's nose, and the England skipper kept almost laughing at him?

Come off it. The guy wasn't intimidating - he was laughable.

For goodness sake, if people got banned for posturing, certain international cricketers would never get a game.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Andre Nel looks a decent player. I was fairly impressed and found his battle with Flintoff interesting, though maybe if he had a couple of hundred wickets to his name it would add a bit more weight to his act! :lol:

V Reddy

International Debutant
He did the same thing to Sourav and Sachin when India was in South Africa and almost every ball Sourav smiled at him. But i enjoyed his bowling though:lol:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think he could be scary if he were wearing a scary mask he'd bought in Scarington-on-Scare (to plagiarise an idea from Blackadder).

The guy's a *****cat - about as intimidating as Corky and just as annoying.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Re: Ander Nel

Shawn Badyk said:
I think this guy needs a good dose of diazepam, the guy is a hostile player that causes hatred, he follows through his run up and stares at the batsman and has a word to say and does so to stir them up and this is not good sportsmanship, I think the ICC should suspend him because passion and determination is one thing, but blatant hostility and intimidation via force is not acceptable in our sport which is the greatest sport in the world.
YEAH!! Lets suspend Nel, yeah good one... Then Australia would have no bowlers at all... And then England might just be second best team in the world :lol:

masterblaster

International Captain
Very true, Langeveldt.

Yeah, I remember when he got up Sourav and Sachin's skin. Although I think then he got smashed around the park and the two put up like a 150 run opening partnership and won India the game.

He now is aggressive to Flintoff and Vaughan, and gets smashed too. I think his aggression is having a rather negative affect on his cricket.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
oooo god come on boys, lift your games.

if guys can't take verbal abuse, provided it doesn't go to far - and generally it doesn't, than I have no sympathy with them at all.

Although I didn't see the incident, Michael Vaughan had no problem with Nel going from this thread, so who cares.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
hourn said:
oooo god come on boys, lift your games.

if guys can't take verbal abuse, provided it doesn't go to far - and generally it doesn't, than I have no sympathy with them at all.

Although I didn't see the incident, Michael Vaughan had no problem with Nel going from this thread, so who cares.
Precisely. I hardly thought that it warranted a mention - and the England batsmen thought that his bowling was food and drink.

Regarding 'incidents' - there weren't any, really. He just has a propensity for running down and eyeballing the batter, then demonstrating his knowledge of the English language.

*****cat.

my opinions

Well I think that the game of cricket is a great game and it isn't about fighting, it is about talent. In my opinion if we tolerate such hostility on the field like Andre Nel shows, then we are teaching the youth of this world to be thugs and bullies and that is not what cricket is about. Cricket is about uniting people and giving pleasure to the world. Now, cricket is supposed to be the peace maker between Pakistan and India. If we tolerate hostility on the field, then Pakistanis and Indians are only going to increase their hostility towards each other. I think the game of cricket is a sport of talent, it isn't wrestling and it is not boxing and hostility should be left out of the game. If the bowler wants to make a point, then he can bowl a few bouncers at the batsman and that will shake the batsman up far more than the death stares that Andre Nel gives. The fact is cricket players should feel safe on the field, and when people like Andre Nel are bowling it make the batsman feel irritated and not at ease and that is wrong, cricket players are meant to enjoy themselves out on the field, and when the bowler is as hostile as Andre Nel there is no way the batsman can enjoy their game.

The fact is children play this game and when a big kid goes bullying the younger kids on the field then the smaller kids no longer want to play the game, and that is only a loss for our great sport.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I see where you are coming from, but Cricket is a hostile game... Tempers will be frayed, after all bowling at 90mph at someones head is a tactic, and a few verbals are sure to be thrown in...

Without a few words being exchanged, cricket would be a poorer game... The line should be drawn when it gets to racism and personal abuse, that should definitely not be tolerated...

Im sure Nel wasnt abusing Flintoff, he certainly didnt take it badly... Just because he is hostile, it doesnt mean he is abusive

well

As I am psychotic I hear things that aren't actually said and when bowlers begin talking to me it will make me think they said things that they probably didn't say that and that will infuriate me and probably cause a fight after the game and a lot of verbal abuse. I think all bowlers should just say nothing to me when I bat otherwise they will regret it. As a player I will not say a word to anyone, I will just play my game and if my team loses I will congratulate the other team for their win. I just think that when players begin talking to each other in a provocative manner, then they are getting distracted from the game and aren't playing to their best and lose their wicket and this can lose a match for their team and I think a team should lose via a lack of talent, not due to intimidation.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Re: my opinions

Shawn Badyk said:
In my opinion if we tolerate such hostility on the field like Andre Nel shows, then we are teaching the youth of this world to be thugs and bullies and that is not what cricket is about.
But in all the incidents that he has done it, he has got smashed around the park. This would show that doing this has a negative effect and should be avoided.....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:

Im sure Nel wasnt abusing Flintoff, he certainly didnt take it badly... Just because he is hostile, it doesnt mean he is abusive
Mind you, Freddie seems to like a chat with the batsman every so often...

Bazza

International 12th Man
Re: my opinions

Shawn Badyk said:
The fact is cricket players should feel safe on the field
Well I heard that Nel was once offered £100 to hit Allan Donald with a bouncer. He struck him on the head with one ball and then floored him with the next.