• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Future Champions of Test Cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Glenn McGrath retires, Australia will no longer be able to take 20 wickets in a Test match at the rate they currently do and Glenn McGrath is well into his 30's and doesn't have much longer to play in his awesome career. Australia has not got any young seam bowlers who have the ability to bowl a consistent line and length like Glenn McGrath, meaning when Glenn McGrath retires Australia will have no one to replace him and as a result Austraila will no longer have the attack that is primarily responsible for their success. Australia do have superior batsman, but you must remember they aren't facing superior bowling attacks the callibre of Glenn McGrath and Jason Gillespie. Now, Brett Lee is a strike bowler, he isn't an opener, he cannot produce a tight line and length consistently and will not be able to replace Glenn McGrath. Australia's best young seamers are Brad Williams and Ashley Nofke, both talented seamers but not half as good as Glenn McGrath and will not be able to replace him.

What you must remember, is if the Australian batsman had to face bowlers like Glenn McGrath and Jason Gillespie, then they wouldn't be such prolific run scorers and their averages would be far lower against such bowlers. Even a good batting line up will struggle against a good bowling attack. Therefore, the success to Test cricket is with the opening bowlers. Now, good batsman are needed to score the runs, I am not denying that, but almost every nation has good batsman who are just as good as Australia's batsman, but even they struggle against Glenn McGrath and Jason Gillespie. India has better batsman than Australia, yet they are weak in Test cricket. Australia is even with most nation as far as batting is concerned. Therefore this is more proof that Australia's success is because of their superior bowling attack. Therefore, once Glenn McGrath retires, Australia will lose their superiority. Now, Test cricket is about maintaining pressure from both ends, and Jason Gillespie alone will not be able to do this and therefore Australia will lose their ability to take 20 wickets at the rate they currently do. Heath Streak is an awesome bowler, but he has no one to back him up and therefore batsman just see him off and cash in against his weaker bowling partner. The same will happen to Jason Gillespie when Glenn McGrath retires.

England have the most talented young seam bowlers in the world at the moment coming through their ranks and will have a superior seam bowling attack over all nations very soon. England have; James Anderson, Richard Johnson, Darren Gough, Mathew Hoggard, Simon Jones, Andrew Flintoff, Stephen Harmison, Alex Tudor, Allan Mullaly and this is a talented bunch. James Anderson and Darren Gough will become the best openers in the world in fact they have nearly claimed this prize after this performance in the Natwest Challenge and Natwest Series. Andrew Flintoff is also a talented bowler who bowls a tight line and length that angles inwards and concedes on average 3.3 runs per over in ODI. In Test cricket, Flintoff will be even more effective. Therefore, England are definately going to be the best in the world very soon and I know that many Australians will reply to this stating that will never happen and that Australia will always be best, and therefore I ask these morons to PROVE that Australia will be best and not just say because they have always produce young stars because everyone knows Australia has not got any young seamers that can replace Glenn McGrath and that is fact.

I think that Australians who read this should just learn some respect and morality and admit to themselves that their nation's empire as being dominant is coming to an end and is going to be succeeded by the enermy which is England, so whether you like it or not "ADMIT IT".

Australians are reluctant to admit that England are dominant in rugby union eventhought England has won the last 4 matches played between the 2 nations and Australia hasn't won a match against England since 1999. Now, if Australians won't admit that England are better than Australia after England has beaten Australia in 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003 and Australia hasn't beaten England since 1999, then that is proof they will never admit that England is best. Australia have not been able to win in New Zealand since 2000, and lost in South Africa in 2002 and England beat New Zealand in New Zealand this year and beat South Africa 53-3 at Twickenham and Australia hasn't beaten South Africa by such a margin in Australia in a long time. In fact Scotland and Argentina came closer to winning in South Africa than Australia did last year.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's a few names in the England seam bowling list who don't quite deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as one or two of the others, but there is certainly some real talent being unearthed.

Flintoff is certainly becoming a real force now as opposed to being a 'bits and pieces' player - his action is now allowing him to get a little more body into the delivery - I can see him making a few jump around in the next year or two.

Anderson just seems to have a happy knack of taking wickets - either with good balls or rubbish. That's a rare knack.

Johnson - more than useful at present but whether he can do it against good batting sides, I don't know.

Harmison - ah well. He will have his day on occasion - true pace can get anyone out but he tends to be erratic.

Jones - he could become great or he could perhaps never get there. Too early to say.

Gough - class. Nuff said.

Hoggard - sometimes useful, needs helpful conditions more often than not.

Mullally, Tudor - well, I was taking you seriously for a while.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
McGrath will be around for a while yet... he is rarely injured and this will prolong his career, Lee should open the bowling and will after McGrath i think with his ability to swing the ball when its new, as well as when its old

Australia has a number of up and comers who you may know in england, the main one is Ashley Noffke, not sure how he goes in england but his performances in Australia this year were pretty solid (37 wickets @21.5), highlighted with taking 6-24 against NSW in the pura cup (he removed the following batsmen - Slater, Mail, Katich,S Waugh, Clarke and Haddin -pretty goood effort if you ask me)

another youngseter who has been talked about alot on these forums is Michael Clarke so im not gonna say more about him

weve also got Hauritz, Clark, Bracken, Williams and a few others

ohh and please please bring Harmison back, we love him here in australia :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Michael Clarke is the ONLY good young batsman that Australia has, none of the others are worth talking about.

Ashley Nofke is good, but will never be able to replace Glenn McGrath.

Nathan Hauritz is mediocre at best, Nathan Bracken is ok, Brad Williams is mediocre and all the others are hopeless. I know as I live in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia and watch them play at the Gabba every year.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i doubt there will be anyone as good as Mcgrath for many many years (from australia) but i dont have to worry as i doubt england will produce anyone anywhere near that good.

Bracken is awsome, much better in one day than 4 dayers though, still top quailty, Hauritz is similar.

Williams i dont rate but everyone else seems to think hes pretty good :(

Noffke can easily be as good as anyone who comes out of england...

another player i forgot to mention was ofcourse Shane Watson, plenty of potential there...

young - how do you classify young, players that will be around for 10 more years - in that case i would probably consider Ponting as young, Ronchi from WA is a promising youngster.

there are a few promising prospects in NSW, but unfortunatley as the NSW side is so strong they do net get a chance such as Jarrad Burke, Jason Krejza, Aaron O'Brien and Aaron Bird, hopefully some of them will get more of a chance to show their talents this year so we can get a better idea about how good they are

Last edited:

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Shawn are u comparing Australia and England or do other countries get a chance. I think that England has a good team coming through however if you look at the Domestic cricket from other countries you will see the same.

I think I can see that you have had a look at county cricket and know the Australian domestic cricket however india, south africa, new zealand, and all the other test nations have good players coming through, it is just their domestic competition doesn't get the same media coverage around the world.

masterblaster

International Captain
Well, who knows what will happen in the future.
I could rant on and on about India's talent

Virender Sehwag - One of the best young ODI openers in the world, and will only get better in the next 15 years of his career.

Mohammad Kaif - Future India Captain in my books, one of the most athletic and gifted sportsmen in India, solid batting technique.

Yuvraj Singh - Same as Kaif, cool and calm in a crisis, fielding is reminiscent of Jonty Rhodes

Ambati Rayadu - Only 17, FC average of about 60, totally smashed some of the young English bowlers (which you claim to be the future) on their U-19 tour

Gautam Gambhir - Incredibly stylish and aggressive left hand opening batsman for India, already scored 260 odd for India A against a strong Zimbabwean Bowling attack

Zaheer Khan - One of the best young left arm fast bowlers in the world today, and is getting better and faster each day

Ashish Nehra - Swing's the ball a mile, pacy and fiery, and improving leaps and bounds

Amit Mishra - A leg spinner with Shane Warne's action, taking heaps of wickets in the Ranji Trophy and For India A

Aavishkar Salvi - Quick, Has an action like Glenn McGrath, averages 18 with the ball in the dusty, dead pitches of India. Can generate bounce and seam off the dustiest and lifeless pitches.

Harbhajan Singh - Only 22, and recognised as a World Class Off Spinner, has atleast 12-15 years of his career left.

Look how many classy young players we have!

We Could be the future champions too

But somehow I dont see India or England being champions for that matter. But the gap will be closed or significantly shorter between Australia and the other nations, than it is now.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
lets have a look at the probable test sides of a few countries in 5 years

Australia
Love
Hussey
Ponting (c)
Clarke
Katich
Watson
Haddin
Hauritz
Lee
Gillespie
Bracken/williams

Thats assuming no-one else comes through, and i know i have messed plenty of good players, still an incredibly strong side

you may also at some stage be able to add Andy Symonds to that, depending on how he plays over thenext couple of years

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
for once i must agree with MB and say that yes, there is a hell of alot of talent in India

another country with alot of young talent is the WI, Sawran, samuels etc

masterblaster

International Captain
India 2008 Possible Squad

V Sehwag (possible captain)
G Gambhir
R Dravid (possible captain)
S Tendulkar
M Kaif (possible captain, certainly my choice)
Y Singh
P Patel (w/k)
H Singh
Z Khan
A Nehra
A Salvi

This is a pretty strong squad, and with Dravid and Tendulkar being so experienced by this stage, and Sehwag and Yuvraj too being experienced, India could possibly be the benchmark in years to come.

Talent

Well I do not rate New Zealand as a future prospect, they just don't have the talent. Sure they have Shane Bond, but who else have they got? They have no decent spinnners and a very weak batting line up. New Zealand are no where near the top and won't be for awhile.

India is well from the top as they lack ability to produce decent seamers and without seamers India will not be anywhere near the top.

Pakistan are a future prospect but I can't see them challenging England or Australia.

The future Australian team you named is pretty weak in my opinion and would struggle against England and would not win in South Africa.

England will be best in Test cricket in the future and no one will challenge them.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ won't be near the top unless they start introducing the younger players...how do you know how good they are when you haven't even seen them?

masterblaster

International Captain
I disagree with you Shaun, that India does not have any quality seamers.

Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra and Aavishkar Salvi are three of the best young seamers in the world at the moment (along with James Anderson and Dilhara Fernando and Mohammad Sami)

Im sure you weren't living under a rock during the World Cup.
Zaheer Khan and Ashish Nehra took plenty and plenty of wickets against the best teams in the World. It was because of the seam bowling and Tendulkar that we got to the Final in 2003.

And look out for Aavishkar Salvi when India tour down under this summer, because he will cause some problems.

India

OK, the Indian seamers may have taken wickets against Kenya, and Holland and Namibia, but they played England on a deteriorated pitch that made life easy for the seamers, they got hammered by Australia twice in the tournament and in New Zealand they were dissappointing on a pitch that offered a lot to them. They do not have the consistency that is required at Test level, they do have talent but they lack consistentcy. New Zealand has no talent, I remember reading an article about Shayne O'Connor being their depth and he is retired. If New Zealand had any decent youngsters like Shane Bond they would be in the team, but obviously they don't have any youngsters.

New Zealand

New Zealand have a great coaching set up, but with only 4,000,000 people they will always struggle to field 20 world class players. New Zealand's best XI is able to beat anyone in the world if they play their best, but their batting is weak, it is anchored around Stephen Flemming who is probably the best batsman in the world if you compare his record as captain, most captains fail under pressure but not Flemming, he is awesome, but the rest of the batting is fragile and can be exposed easily and this is New ZEaland's main concern.

To be honest though, I think New Zealand would be 3rd of 4th best at the moment and if their team remains in form, who knows they could even beat Australia in Australia.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
masterblaster said:

Im sure you weren't living under a rock during the World Cup.
Zaheer Khan and Ashish Nehra took plenty and plenty of wickets against the best teams in the World. It was because of the seam bowling and Tendulkar that we got to the Final in 2003.
Didn't Nehra only actually have 1 good match, and the rest of the Tournament he was nowhere near that good?

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
The reason that the youngsters aren't in the NZ team is because we are doing pretty well at the moment without having to introduce them. NOT :P

Maybe I should stop telling lies and say that we have selectors that don't agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.