• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Dominance Is Because............

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
... hence the statement 'sooner rather than later'.

Steve will be 40 then - I honestly cannot see him lasting out.

But then again, look at Alec Stewart. As fit as they come.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:
Butcher and Thorpe too. One or the other must make the first test side, surely.
Butch will be there.

I'd be surprised to see THorpe playing this next game, but he may come back eventually.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Tamara said:
90% of cricket is in the head. 1% talant. 9% work.

Thats the way most coaches tell people anyway.
stuff about australia's mental strength and ticker are bull****.
we're all just bloody good cricketer's and it's all to do with the cricket education in Australia.
it all starts in the younger years, so good players can be produced what you see on TV and Tests is only a showcase for what goes on behind the scenes.
we're just bloody good

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
steve waugh is batting better at the moment than he has been for the last 7 or 8 years.....

Love vs Trescothick

Love FC average - 49, test average of 33, but will probably go over 50 if he gets a chance against bangladesh :D, he has played just 3 tests

Trescothick FC average of 33 - test average of 41

Hmm and thats county cricket in Trescothicks FC average as well....

now for Katich vs Hussain

Katich FC average of 47, and with only one test - 15

Hussain - FC average 42 and test average of 36

Katich moved to NSW this year and even captained us (when Steve Waugh wasn't there) he played pretty well particularly with the ball where on a couple of occasions he took big hauls (for a batsman) his batting didn't go so well this season, averaged just 36 with the bat, well ist not all bad, in Englsnd you only need to average 33 and make it look good to get n the test team:P:P:P

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Age, you cannot compare these players based on FC record.

Look at Vaughan's FC average, and he is one of the top batsmen around.

It's a case of how you make them, and for me Banger is a fixture, especially with his ODI batting.

Also, you talk about Katich, but he's hardly set the world alight when he's played CC, an average just over 40 in his one full season.

Hussain has played 83 Tests, and is not only a fine player, but a very good captain - so to suggest replacing him with someone just because of nationality is bizarre.

Mr. P

i agree with marc, you cannot compare from FC record. But Vaughan should not be captain, at least not yet. When i saw Australia take the Ashes AGAIN:D , i thought that hussains captaincy was a shining light. At stages. (Brisbane test terrible decision at toss)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
Love vs Trescothick

Love FC average - 49, test average of 33, but will probably go over 50 if he gets a chance against bangladesh :D, he has played just 3 tests

Trescothick FC average of 33 - test average of 41

Hmm and thats county cricket in Trescothicks FC average as well....
Tresco started slow in FC cricket but now look at him, Test average of 40 and ODI average of 38? Doesn't that seem World Class to you?

In 3 Tests Martin Love has 133 runs at 33.25 with a highest score of 62* and that average includes 2 not outs. No comparison.

Oh and you seem to have missed out the fact that Love's FC average of 48 also includes County Cricket...he plays for Durham.

Last edited:

Mr. P

no, good effort. im from aus myself. (age_masters from aus am i right) its hard to restrain from bagging the poms

Langeveldt

Soutie
Slats4ever said:
stuff about australia's mental strength and ticker are bull****.

Absolutely right, I bet NZ have more mental strength than Australia... Just look at the way Aus let off the pressure in dead rubbers...

The difference is that Australia have so much class, and being lead by Waugh obviously helps... Mentally though they arent that much different to anyone else...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr. Ponting said:
no, good effort. im from aus myself. (age_masters from aus am i right) its hard to restrain from bagging the poms
The trick is not to pick the wrong side of the arguement, like age_master invariably does, and ending up looking an utter fool, like age_master invariably does...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
The trick is not to pick the wrong side of the arguement, like age_master invariably does, and ending up looking an utter fool, like age_master invariably does...
Ahem...

Pick any one of the following :

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries"
"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
"Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person."

I'm fed up of the tedious tit-for-tat semi-insults and point-scoring. Be original (like I wasn't)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
Ahem...

Pick any one of the following :

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries"
"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
"Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person."

I'm fed up of the tedious tit-for-tat semi-insults and point-scoring. Be original (like I wasn't)
Ok...

"This is the News with Brian Hughes"

Is that original (or odd enough)?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
lol, its ok, i am above Rik's petty mutterings ;)

BUT, give martin love a little more of a chance, hes proved himself for Many seasons with queesnsland.
you must also remember that hes a defensive styled batsman, trescothick is more agressive, thus Love will never play ODI cricket for Australia so you cant compare that...

it would be interesting to see what players from other countries would average in Australian domestic cricket, particularly some english players but also the Tendulkars, Ganguly's and Lara's etc.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
lol, its ok, i am above Rik's petty mutterings ;)
and if that wasn't petty in it's own right then I don't know what is...:rolleyes:

Last edited: