• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Encouraging "Cricket Smarts"

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Match Report said:
After the tea break, Dragon struck early but Prentis (50) led a convincing Papplewick reply, helped in no small part by a Dragon bowling and fielding plan that fluctuated between the thoughtless and the downright risible. With fielders seemingly content to neither cut off short singles nor patrol the boundaries, Prentis monopolised the strike and only Evans (4-0-9-0) maintained any control
I was doing my nut this afternoon. School U10 side watching a decent total of 149/9 fall by the wayside at 7 per over.

Nobody out saving four, no one on the ones... everyone in a daydreaming ring without showing any sign of having a desire to set the tone, or take command/control of the situation. Immensely frustrating and it was only a suicidal run-out that brought us the key wicket enabling us to get a footing back into the game.

If I could get one thing out of the season it would be an alert, match-aware team that can dictate and control proceedings... right now we are miles away. Any suggestions for drills/training sessions to encourage this quite unique skillset?

pskov

International 12th Man
What are you expecting of 9 year olds? unless you just drill into them a field that they always have to use all the time, so each player just goes to the same position each match and stays there, I'm not sure what you can do.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
What are you expecting of 9 year olds? unless you just drill into them a field that they always have to use all the time, so each player just goes to the same position each match and stays there, I'm not sure what you can do.
If you don't expect anything then you won't get anything. Children are capable of incredible things if you point them in the right direction and give them the right push. It is just finding that shove...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Haaaa, i guess those young fellas aren't ready for the pressure's of match situations. Never knew Under 10s played either, i started club cricket from Under 13...

Shri

Mr. Glass
I was doing my nut this afternoon. School U10 side watching a decent total of 149/9 fall by the wayside at 7 per over.

Nobody out saving four, no one on the ones... everyone in a daydreaming ring without showing any sign of having a desire to set the tone, or take command/control of the situation. Immensely frustrating and it was only a suicidal run-out that brought us the key wicket enabling us to get a footing back into the game.

If I could get one thing out of the season it would be an alert, match-aware team that can dictate and control proceedings... right now we are miles away. Any suggestions for drills/training sessions to encourage this quite unique skillset?
Sounds like the England national team if you take out the 'U10' part.:ph34r:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
What are you expecting of 9 year olds? .
Agreed

If you don't expect anything then you won't get anything. Children are capable of incredible things if you point them in the right direction and give them the right push. It is just finding that shove.
Agreed.

However Neil, you are not telling me the 9 yr old captain was setting the field and making adjustments and bowling changes? That is too much and Ive never heard anything like it.

You say "noone to take command/control of the situation". As far as Im concerned, that is your job as a leader, educator and coach.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Assuming that you're out there umpiring, etc.? We always had a coach/parent out there umpiring at that age, who was pretty much the captain with regards to field positions and that. Wasn't until U/14 & U/16 that a player would take over as captain.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Wasn't until U/14 & U/16 that a player would take over as captain.
Under 14s is when I have allowed the on-field player to take over as captain with no interferance from the umpire/coach.

I cant believe anyone would ask a 9/10/11 year old to micro-manage a game without on field help.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Assuming that you're out there umpiring, etc.? We always had a coach/parent out there umpiring at that age, who was pretty much the captain with regards to field positions and that. Wasn't until U/14 & U/16 that a player would take over as captain.

Yeah when I was helping a mate coach U/12's we made all the decisions regarding who bowled and where people fielded.

I think 9 year olds would struggle a bit.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Well, I never got into coaching such young kids but in family events, when we do go around playing a bit of cricket, the best way I got 8 or 9 year old kids into it was by making it seem fun for them...

You juz gotta drill it into them that it is fun to cut off singles and even boundaries at any point of the game... That it is fun to take a good catch, to effect a fast run out... To throw the ball faster than you did last time to the keeper... Once they start enjoying it, a much better chance that they will do it...

And for plans and tactics, you are gonna have to lecture them... But chances are, if the kids are enjoying fielding, they will probably do well no matter where they are standing, in terms of cutting off boundaries and preventing singles etc... I mean, juz ensure they get to the ball fast and it should go a long way.

But I am sure you are gonna need a lot of patience.. :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Think there might have been a bit of tiredness and frustration talking last night. Today we managed to beat the rest of Oxfordshire by 8 wickets and were virtually immaculate in the field

Under 10 = 10 year olds by this stage of the summer rather than 9. It isn't a case of unaided captaincy; far from it - there was an awful lot of input on my part into it but what wound me up was those who needed telling every single ball, those who seemed unable to tell there were two different batsmen in the middle...

I think something significant was that today's team included as captain a boy who usually plays an age group up, and every ball he was able to provide the requisite shove so that my only input needed to be... "what position is he supposed to be in?" or "who's coming on next at that end?" - rather than having to be on at every last player to tighten up.

What I was wondering, really, was whether there were any drills/exercises that people had seen or used that targeted the micromanagement and leadership part of the game beyond managed match practice and simple experience!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
What I was wondering, really, was whether there were any drills/exercises that people had seen or used that targeted the micromanagement and leadership part of the game beyond managed match practice and simple experience!
Id have a practice in the middle.

4 overs (2 bowlers each bowling 2) and a right and a left handed batsman.

Set the field at the begining of each over and for each batsman and have them aim to be perfect (or talked to by the captain only) after being told where to be for each bowler and batsman only once.

I think it is important to keep it short and be in a game situation where the fielders have to resond to the action in the middle.

It has to be attainable as well. If 4 overs seems too long then have them aim to concentrate and be perfect for two overs.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
How long were you playing Neil? I know you've said in the past you play some ridiculous form of declaration cricket at Under 11/10 level.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Just give them a good explanation of what they did wrong and what they can do to improve it and keep reminding them before they go into the field to try and look for patterns in things like where the batsman hits and whether they like to take quick runs. That is what a really good coach that we had encouraged us to do and it really worked throughout the course of the season.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Think there might have been a bit of tiredness and frustration talking last night. Today we managed to beat the rest of Oxfordshire by 8 wickets and were virtually immaculate in the field

Under 10 = 10 year olds by this stage of the summer rather than 9. It isn't a case of unaided captaincy; far from it - there was an awful lot of input on my part into it but what wound me up was those who needed telling every single ball, those who seemed unable to tell there were two different batsmen in the middle...

I think something significant was that today's team included as captain a boy who usually plays an age group up, and every ball he was able to provide the requisite shove so that my only input needed to be... "what position is he supposed to be in?" or "who's coming on next at that end?" - rather than having to be on at every last player to tighten up.

One of our coaches used to take us out for dinner or something when we have done well..

He would never say it beforehand so that it wasn't like we were playing FOR that... But when he did take us out, we knew we had done particularly well... And it always felt nice.. Not the dinner but the fact that we made our coach proud enough that he sponsored us one.. It was like winning his approval, in a way.

And during the dinner, he used to specifically point out how what someone did was right. It was usually stuff we least notice, like a guy running hard and converting 1 to 2 or a guy chasing hard and CAUSING a mix up and run out chance... Or even like a guy diving around and fielding well causing the batter to hit in another area than the one where he is comfortable hitting. It always made us, the other guys, want to do something similar and we really used to realize why these things were important in that relaxed environ rather than in the hustle bustle of a team meeting, during or before the game...

But it will be a tight rope walk, coz you don't want them to be playing cricket juz so that you will buy them dinner or you will talk about them during dinner... It has to be a nice little bonus and sometimes the way you deal with something like this can cause them to think as if winning your approval is the be all and end all for their cricket..

But on the whole, I felt that approach works best. I was maybe 12 at that time, so obviously one will be a lot smarter then in terms of cricket know how than when we were 10 but still... My two cents. :)