cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Encouraging "Cricket Smarts"

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar

Encouraging "Cricket Smarts"

Quote Originally Posted by Match Report
    After the tea break, Dragon struck early but Prentis (50) led a convincing Papplewick reply, helped in no small part by a Dragon bowling and fielding plan that fluctuated between the thoughtless and the downright risible. With fielders seemingly content to neither cut off short singles nor patrol the boundaries, Prentis monopolised the strike and only Evans (4-0-9-0) maintained any control
    I was doing my nut this afternoon. School U10 side watching a decent total of 149/9 fall by the wayside at 7 per over.

Nobody out saving four, no one on the ones... everyone in a daydreaming ring without showing any sign of having a desire to set the tone, or take command/control of the situation. Immensely frustrating and it was only a suicidal run-out that brought us the key wicket enabling us to get a footing back into the game.

If I could get one thing out of the season it would be an alert, match-aware team that can dictate and control proceedings... right now we are miles away. Any suggestions for drills/training sessions to encourage this quite unique skillset?
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

International 12th Man
    What are you expecting of 9 year olds? unless you just drill into them a field that they always have to use all the time, so each player just goes to the same position each match and stays there, I'm not sure what you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by pskov View Post
    What are you expecting of 9 year olds? unless you just drill into them a field that they always have to use all the time, so each player just goes to the same position each match and stays there, I'm not sure what you can do.
    If you don't expect anything then you won't get anything. Children are capable of incredible things if you point them in the right direction and give them the right push. It is just finding that shove...

Haaaa, i guess those young fellas aren't ready for the pressure's of match situations. Never knew Under 10s played either, i started club cricket from Under 13...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    I was doing my nut this afternoon. School U10 side watching a decent total of 149/9 fall by the wayside at 7 per over.

Nobody out saving four, no one on the ones... everyone in a daydreaming ring without showing any sign of having a desire to set the tone, or take command/control of the situation. Immensely frustrating and it was only a suicidal run-out that brought us the key wicket enabling us to get a footing back into the game.

If I could get one thing out of the season it would be an alert, match-aware team that can dictate and control proceedings... right now we are miles away. Any suggestions for drills/training sessions to encourage this quite unique skillset?
    Sounds like the England national team if you take out the 'U10' part.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by pskov View Post
    What are you expecting of 9 year olds? .
    Agreed

If you don't expect anything then you won't get anything. Children are capable of incredible things if you point them in the right direction and give them the right push. It is just finding that shove.
    Agreed.

However Neil, you are not telling me the 9 yr old captain was setting the field and making adjustments and bowling changes? That is too much and Ive never heard anything like it.

You say "noone to take command/control of the situation". As far as Im concerned, that is your job as a leader, educator and coach.
    Last edited by Goughy; 17-05-2009 at 01:41 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Assuming that you're out there umpiring, etc.? We always had a coach/parent out there umpiring at that age, who was pretty much the captain with regards to field positions and that. Wasn't until U/14 & U/16 that a player would take over as captain.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Wasn't until U/14 & U/16 that a player would take over as captain.
    Under 14s is when I have allowed the on-field player to take over as captain with no interferance from the umpire/coach.

I cant believe anyone would ask a 9/10/11 year old to micro-manage a game without on field help.

School Boy/Girl Captain Joe Ninety's Avatar
    Call in Thommo to give 'em a rev up

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Assuming that you're out there umpiring, etc.? We always had a coach/parent out there umpiring at that age, who was pretty much the captain with regards to field positions and that. Wasn't until U/14 & U/16 that a player would take over as captain.

Yeah when I was helping a mate coach U/12's we made all the decisions regarding who bowled and where people fielded.

I think 9 year olds would struggle a bit.
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

"There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

"**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar

Well, I never got into coaching such young kids but in family events, when we do go around playing a bit of cricket, the best way I got 8 or 9 year old kids into it was by making it seem fun for them...

You juz gotta drill it into them that it is fun to cut off singles and even boundaries at any point of the game... That it is fun to take a good catch, to effect a fast run out... To throw the ball faster than you did last time to the keeper... Once they start enjoying it, a much better chance that they will do it...

And for plans and tactics, you are gonna have to lecture them... But chances are, if the kids are enjoying fielding, they will probably do well no matter where they are standing, in terms of cutting off boundaries and preventing singles etc... I mean, juz ensure they get to the ball fast and it should go a long way.

But I am sure you are gonna need a lot of patience..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Think there might have been a bit of tiredness and frustration talking last night. Today we managed to beat the rest of Oxfordshire by 8 wickets and were virtually immaculate in the field

Under 10 = 10 year olds by this stage of the summer rather than 9. It isn't a case of unaided captaincy; far from it - there was an awful lot of input on my part into it but what wound me up was those who needed telling every single ball, those who seemed unable to tell there were two different batsmen in the middle...

I think something significant was that today's team included as captain a boy who usually plays an age group up, and every ball he was able to provide the requisite shove so that my only input needed to be... "what position is he supposed to be in?" or "who's coming on next at that end?" - rather than having to be on at every last player to tighten up.

What I was wondering, really, was whether there were any drills/exercises that people had seen or used that targeted the micromanagement and leadership part of the game beyond managed match practice and simple experience!

What I was wondering, really, was whether there were any drills/exercises that people had seen or used that targeted the micromanagement and leadership part of the game beyond managed match practice and simple experience!
    Id have a practice in the middle.

4 overs (2 bowlers each bowling 2) and a right and a left handed batsman.

Set the field at the begining of each over and for each batsman and have them aim to be perfect (or talked to by the captain only) after being told where to be for each bowler and batsman only once.

I think it is important to keep it short and be in a game situation where the fielders have to resond to the action in the middle.

It has to be attainable as well. If 4 overs seems too long then have them aim to concentrate and be perfect for two overs.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    How long were you playing Neil? I know you've said in the past you play some ridiculous form of declaration cricket at Under 11/10 level.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo View Post
    How long were you playing Neil? I know you've said in the past you play some ridiculous form of declaration cricket at Under 11/10 level.
    Declaration/time cricket. It came out at approx 30 overs per side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information