• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CMJ's top 100

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm trying to remember (and can't off the top of my head) how many Tests Marshall played at The ARG, which was 1986 or 2006 the flattest deck in World cricket.

Slifer

International Captain
If you're comparing to McGrath, just take the minnows out of his stats. It doesn't make any difference.

Sure, Marshall played on flat ones too, just like Hayden played on seamers, but not to the same extent McGrath did. Nowhere near it in fact. Wasim Akram is another fast bowler who did remarkably well considering he played so much of his cricket in the subcontinent.
Yes but Mcgrath doesnt have the infallible record Marshall does (flat wicket or not) and Marshall showed that he could have success in all conditions against all comers. In 81 tests he took 22 freakin 5 fors (considering the competition he had for wickets) that is amazing tbh. Its not a run away by ne means but he'd get the edge over Mcgrath for mine

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes but Mcgrath doesnt have the infallible record Marshall does (flat wicket or not) and Marshall showed that he could have success in all conditions against all comers. In 81 tests he took 22 freakin 5 fors (considering the competition he had for wickets) that is amazing tbh. Its not a run away by ne means but he'd get the edge over Mcgrath for mine
AWTA.

how did you make that assessment?:wacko: im pretty sure his 700 plus wickets came from wrist spin:laugh:
Precam!

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As I've said before, I agree with your conclusion. I'd pick Marshall over McGrath too. But there's no doubting that McGrath played on a greater proportion of flat pitches.

I'm only making a point about the general attitude towards this era as opposed to previous ones. Runs scored nowadays seemingly only count half, but wickets don't count double.

Slifer

International Captain
Well im certainly not one of those persons. I definitely rate players like: Kallis, Ponting, Dravid because when the greats were around they did show the mettle that they could score runs against them. TBH i think people (my self sometimes) rate Lara and SRT of the 90s too highly esp when one considers that they had their own struggles against the better fast bowlers of the 90s.

Slifer

International Captain
I'm trying to remember (and can't off the top of my head) how many Tests Marshall played at The ARG, which was 1986 or 2006 the flattest deck in World cricket.

To answer ur query:

4 tests 19 wickets @ 23.05 SR 49.3 Econ 2.8

2 vs Australia and 1 each vs Eng and Ind

Slifer

International Captain
Both players came up short (average wise) against the likes of Donald and co and the two Ws. Lara for example averaged something like 32 and 35 against Pakistan and RSA respectively b4 these 2 attacks wained (and pitches flattened out) around 2001. SRT had similar numbers against both teams. I can elaborate further and will

cs41hk

Cricket Spectator
My all time best XI:

Sir Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Sir Gary Sobers
Imran Khan
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Malcolm Marshall
Muttiah Muralitharan

I can't see the above team on their prime would get beaten by any one!!!