Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: CMJ's top 100

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Love reading lists and it's an impossible task really as he mentioned in the article.
    Just always makes me ask why people bother. I can't see any use whatsoever in such exact things.

I like general lists - like categorising the seam bowlers into various categories with no exact rankings - but this one-to-hundred sort of thing is, IMO, completely and totally pointless.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by King Pietersen View Post
    The only reason I said Hayden was an all-time great over Dravid on MSN to you is because I honestly didn't want to get into a discussion about Hayden with you, as they're incredibly tedious. I don't rate Hayden anywhere near as highly as you do.

As for the claims that Sobers was a lower order batsman that cashed in on flat tracks, it's a pretty laughable opinion tbh. I don't even think it's worth attempting to prove you wrong with stats, as frankly it's so incorrect. A Hayden fan slagging off Sobers for cashing in on Flat tracks is pure hilarity. Sobers was a far better batsman than Hayden could ever hope to be. Sobers was also very good in the field, and was an expert in the close in positions, most notably at slip and leg-slip, and although his bowling was never Marshall-esque, he offered a useful option with his medium-fast seam bowling, and then a very useful left-arm spin option. He is the definition of all-rounder, and the most naturally talented cricketer the game has seen, miles ahead of Ponting.
    Sobers is hardly a far better batsman than Hayden could ever hope to be. Sobers batted the majority of his career at 5 & 6 and occassionally batted at 3 & 4, compared to Hayden who opened the batting in every single innings he played. Mind you, without days off, so after spending days in the field, Hayden would immediately have to go in and bat, without no break.

In the aspect of a true allrounder, Keith Miller & Imran Khan both better Garry Sobers. Hell, you could argue that Jacques Kallis is better because he bats top-order not lower-middle-order and doesn't have the luxery of days-off during Tests like Sobers. Especially considering that Kallis bats in the most difficult conditions in world cricket over his generation whilst Tony Kozier once referred to West Indies pitches during the 1960s as featherbeds.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I'm not remotely interested in the Sobers-vs crap again, but do you really believe off-days in Tests were advantageous to players? The game lasts five days if you wait a week between them.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    but do you really believe off-days in Tests were advantageous to players?
    With the hectic and demanding schedules of nowadays, off-days during Test matches would be very beneficial to the modern-day player.

Quote Originally Posted by wfdu_ben91 View Post
    With the hectic and demanding schedules of nowadays, off-days during Test matches would be very beneficial to the modern-day player.
    Pretty sure bowlers would need it more then an opening bat.

International 12th Man
    Pretty sure bowlers would need it more then an opening bat.
    Pretty demanding to be in the field for a few days, in humid heat, before going into bat immediately as the 10th wicket falls, knowing that you won't be able to relax and recuperate until you've lost your wicket.

Pretty demanding to be in the field for a few days, in humid heat, before going into bat immediately as the 10th wicket falls, knowing that you won't be able to relax and recuperate until you've lost your wicket.
    I don't know about you but whenever I opened the batting I was relaxing between each delivery and recuperating at the non strikers end. Imagine Hayden would be the same.

International 12th Man
    I don't know about you but whenever I opened the batting I was relaxing between each delivery and recuperating at the non strikers end. Imagine Hayden would be the same.
    Nothing like putting your feet up and just relaxing. Especially in the heat, in cricket gear and under your helmet.

Nothing like putting your feet up and just relaxing. Especially in the heat, in cricket gear and under your helmet.
    Reckon he was used to it and was obviously fit.

I agree Hayden should definitely be top 100, I've enjoyed seeing Hayden score well for QLD and Australia for the past 15 plus years. I'll leave it at that and would much rather have a chat about CMJ's list instead of talking about how much easier batsman at 5 and 6 have it then openers in the current era.

Maybe Hayden's going to be in the top ten? :shrugs:

As always, interesting to see these things and more pertinently to read the reasons for the distinctions drawn, but def. not worth getting upset about. Never understood why fans get upset that others don't share their opinion. Wfdu_ben91, why are you worried if CMJ doesn't rate Hayden?
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    no kumble in top 100? that is strange.

alan davidson may not find a place too.

the top 10, i guess, could be

bradman
    sobers
    grace
    hobbs
    richards
    warne
    tendulkar
    hammond
    barnes
    gilchrist
    I agree with nine. I dont think Gilchrist will be there. I do not see Andy Roberts in the 90 (unless I missed it somehow) and he will be there.

I am also do not see Miller which is very surprising. But I cant imagine who he might leave out from these ten to accommodate the great Miller unless he decides that WG is above such mundane excercises

Contemporary cricketers are getting unfair treatment.

1. Sir Bradman
    2. Sir Sobers
    3-5. Sir Viv/ Sir Hobbs/ Sachin
    6. W.G.
    7-9. Barnes/Hammond/Warne
    Last edited by Maximus0723; 16-05-2009 at 10:36 AM.

International 12th Man
    Always has and always will be Bradman first and WG second for me. Don't really understand anyone else being placed above those two.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    What a difference a decade makes!

The Times did exactly the same exercise in 1998 - John Woodcock was the selector then

These were his first ten, in order

WG Grace
    DG Bradman
    GS Sobers
    A Mynn
    JB Hobbs
    SF Barnes
    WR Hammond
    IVA Richards
    IT Botham
    DCS Compton

These were the ones he selected who aren't in CMJ's list - they are in order of appearance in Woodcock's list

SK Warne
    SR Tendulkar
    GH Hirst
    W Beldham
    MJ Procter
    HJ Tayfield
    T Richardson
    RB Kanhai
    AK Davidson
    IM Chappell
    J Small
    AG Steel
    TG Evans
    AC Maclaren
    A Shaw
    VAP Van der bijl
    RB Simpson
    F Mahmood
    Hanif Mohammad
    FS Jackson
    RGD Willis
    DL Underwood
    S Ramadhin
    WW Hall
    HW Taylor
    PA De Silva
    JR Reid

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    I agree with nine. I dont think Gilchrist will be there. I do not see Andy Roberts in the 90 (unless I missed it somehow) and he will be there.

I am also do not see Miller which is very surprising. But I cant imagine who he might leave out from these ten to accommodate the great Miller unless he decides that WG is above such mundane excercises
    keith miller is at no.16. i am not sure who else he would choose for the top positions other than the 10 i've listed out. looks pretty obvious to me.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information