• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jumping the Shark II

Matt79

Global Moderator
A further idea for a team selection challenge, given the flurry of draft threads have largely dropped off.

This one will be for four players at a time, if we have more than that, look at doing two concurrent games of four. Will be a serpentine selection order, but the first thing to be selected is what nationality you're picking - one game participant per country.

Each time it's your turn you can choose to select someone for your own XI, or to eliminate a player from another country who has yet to be selected. Eg A has chosen West Indies and B Australia. On A's first turn does he opt to select Sobers or does he eliminate Bradman? Each team needs a full XI, but it will likely take more than eleven rounds. All players get to make a selection, even if they've got their XI.

People want to have a go?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Um, ok, was going to randomly allocate turns for people to select country, but if everyone's happy with their teams they've chosen, lets do this instead then. If we do a second one, I'll reserve a place for myself now, and we'll draw teams randomly.

Jamee - West Indies
Goughy - England
Michael7 - Australia
Ginger - SA

We'll reorder every two rounds, and serpentine in those two rounds:eg rd1: a,b,c,d rd2 d,c,b,a rd3, b,d,a,c rd 4 c,a,d,b etc etc.

Round 1:
Ginger
Jamee
Goughy
Michael

Matt79

Global Moderator
Well this is going great :dry:. Jamee I think you can go ahead. Ginger to go if he ever returns.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Will pick in a bit, just need to find the original Jumping the Shark thread so I know what I'm doing.

edit: it's 4:30am, just in from work and looking at the original thread there's a lot of talk about banned players etc - can someone clarify what the rules of this draft are?

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Sure. My apologies actually, I've assumed that everyone playing can read my mind.

Despite the "II" designation, this one is not a straight sequel to Jumping the Shark one - the name is just my pun re: the ever more convoluted draft ideas that have been flying around, of which the previous shark draft was prime example.

This one is fairly simple. Each of you have selected a country. Your task is to select the best XI you can using any player to have played a test for that country, with the aim of getting a team that will beat the other three participants teams. In some drafts we have opted to say post-WWI, to get around the difficulty of rating players like Barnes, Grace and Trumper against more modern players. I'm happy to go with whatever you guys think in regards to that specific question.

The twist in this draft is that in every round, instead of selecting a player for your team, you can disqualify a player who is yet to be selected from another team. So Ginger, you could ban Richie Benaud rather than make a selection of your own when your time comes around. The trade off is in attempting to weaken your opponents, how many opportunities do you permit them to weaken your team?

There's no limit to how many times you can choose to ban, rather than select. But every team will need XI players, and obviously the more you go after others players, the more of your own are going to be banned. And in every round, everyone gets to go, even if they've already got their XI - then they get to ban.

That's it so far as rules go. I'll randomly set the order, we'll use it for one round, reverse it for the next round, and then re-randomise.

Any questions?

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I think I have to ban Bradman, I'm not planning to ban too many players, but I think you just have to here.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Right, think I get you.

To kick things off, I will make my first pick for South Africa: JH Kallis.

Over 10,000 runs at a mid 50 average, and 250 wickets at a tick over 30. A must pick for the balance of the side whilst I have the chance.