Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket Australia Contracts

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Well yeah, he was dropped, but he had been suffering with the injury before he was dropped, so I wonder if it had any bearing on it. And it was about the unlukiest dropping ever.
    A lot of us called for it at the time and we were right
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    A lot of us called for it at the time and we were right
    Oh yeah, a good decision, just unlucky.

Could Hodge actually turn out to be the reserve Ashes batsman?

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Oh yeah, a good decision, just unlucky.

Could Hodge actually turn out to be the reserve Ashes batsman?
    Well, unless he's the reserve batsman for the Test team, his contract really makes no sense at all.

We know he's not in the frame for ODIs given Australia has used about 10,000 players in the last year or so and he's not one of them. We also know he's not in the Twenty20 plans as he's not in the 2020WC squad. The only way the selectors can justify giving him a contract ahead of someone like Warner who is basically guaranteed to play for Australia this year is if he's the reserve batsman in Tests.

Keep in mind, we don't really know who the reserve batsman in Tests is ATM as no reserve batsman was actually taken to South Africa. I kind of just assumed it was Jaques or Watson, but this contract list confirms that it's not Jaques and hints that it may in fact be Hodge.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Code:
    Pixie Caramels won by an Innings and 258 runs.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Well, unless he's the reserve batsman for the Test team, his contract really makes no sense at all.

We know he's not in the frame for ODIs given Australia has used about 10,000 players in the last year or so and he's not one of them. We also know he's not in the Twenty20 plans as he's not in the 2020WC squad. The only way the selectors can justify giving him a contract ahead of someone like Warner who is basically guaranteed to play for Australia this year is if he's the reserve batsman in Tests.

Keep in mind, we don't really know who the reserve batsman in Tests is ATM as no reserve batsman was actually taken to South Africa. I kind of just assumed it was Jaques or Watson, but this contract list confirms that it's not Jaques and hints that it may in fact be Hodge.
    Was always under the impression that Hodge was the reserve Test batter. Selectors have said so a few times whilst not mentioning anyone else, really.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah I must say, I didn't really expect this. I do think he's the best candidate for a one-off game if Haddin goes down, but I thought they'd be looking to groom a younger player like Wade or Paine given Haddin's age.

I'm not criticising the decision as such but it has come as a surprise to me TBH.
    Yes and no. They set the standard by picking Gilly late and have followed suit with Haddin and looks like they'll do the same with Manou.

If so, they better get him some game time somewhere because Gilly and Haddin had plenty of ODI's before getting their Test spots. Throwing Manou in cold would be a bit silly.

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    they all get same amount ??? or if there is classification any one know who is in which ???
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by biased indian View Post
    they all get same amount ??? or if there is classification any one know who is in which ???
    Nah, there is a formula and a ranking based on how much of each format you're predicted to play over the year or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Yes and no. They set the standard by picking Gilly late and have followed suit with Haddin and looks like they'll do the same with Manou.
    The thing is, Manou's only one year younger than Haddin. The gap between Gilchrist and Haddin is six years, and the gap between Healy and Gilchrist is eight years, so I do think this is quite a different situation.

I expected them to pick someone who could potentially take over from Haddin when he retired - not that I think that's right, but that's what I was expecting. Manou is going to retire at about the same time as Haddin.. it's not like he's heir to the throne like Haddin and Gilchrist before him quite obviously were.

Pleased they've gone with the next best candidate irrespective of age though, TBH.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 14-05-2009 at 01:55 AM.

They wouldn’t touch Cam White with a barge pole in South Africa and didn’t he feel he was worthy enough to tour the UAE, so **** knows why he has a contract…

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    They wouldn’t touch Cam White with a barge pole in South Africa and didn’t he feel he was worthy enough to tour the UAE, so **** knows why he has a contract…
    Blonde, pretty boy quota.

State Vice-Captain
    Gosh they hand these things out like candy! Why do they contract so many players? There's only 6 sides to choose from anyway? Shouldn't not getting one be a big incentive to improve? Realistically CA is only going to ever pick from that set of contracted players, with the odd david warner thrown in, why give everyone one, aren't central contracts just for established players and really bright prospects?

Surely

Doug Bollinger
    Ben Hilfenhaus
    maybe David Hussey
    Graham Manou
    Shaun Marsh
    Andrew McDonald
    possibly Marcus North
    Cameron White

haven't really earned them yet? Thought contracted players should be your certainties on the team sheet, everyone else should be fighting to get one the next year (or IMO 6 months). Seems like a certain number are handed out for the sake of it to an extent. I get that state players aren't paid too well, but less contracts and more money going to state cricket might be a better thing?

Disgraceful that Jaques was dropped from contract.

It is probably just politics (he doesn't appear to be well liked by some of the administration - witness his disgraceful non-selection in 2006/07 ODIs) to ensure Hughes and Katich feel comfortable with their places. Still should be our reserve batsman IMO. Noone else is out there at his age with as many runs on the board, both domestically and internationally, in all formats.

Why the hell is Cameron White, Dave Hussey and Brad Hodge on the list ahead of Jaques anyway? The first two are proven domestic performers and proven international failures and Hodge surely must be considered as nothing more than a stopgap by now.

Madness I say.

Quote Originally Posted by oitoitoi View Post
    Gosh they hand these things out like candy! Why do they contract so many players? There's only 6 sides to choose from anyway? Shouldn't not getting one be a big incentive to improve? Realistically CA is only going to ever pick from that set of contracted players, with the odd david warner thrown in, why give everyone one, aren't central contracts just for established players and really bright prospects?

Surely

Doug Bollinger
    Ben Hilfenhaus
    maybe David Hussey
    Graham Manou
    Shaun Marsh
    Andrew McDonald
    possibly Marcus North
    Cameron White

haven't really earned them yet? Thought contracted players should be your certainties on the team sheet, everyone else should be fighting to get one the next year (or IMO 6 months). Seems like a certain number are handed out for the sake of it to an extent. I get that state players aren't paid too well, but less contracts and more money going to state cricket might be a better thing?
    Different system to others. Think it makes more sense, otherwise you have the situation such as England at the moment, where more than half the team doesn't have contracts. Gives CA greater control over more of their players, as well.

If anything, it actually takes the pressure off the states and gives them more money to work with, as these players aren't paid by their states at all. No state player can be paid more than the lowest CA contracted player (although there's a loophole RE: assistant coaches).

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    My thoughts regarding the second wickekeeper.

Very happy with the Manou selection as reserve wicketkeeper. Clearly the number two wicketkeeper in the country currently. He is a guarantee to do a tidy job behind the stumps, exactly what a reserve wickekeeper must do. Ability to bat well is a mere bonus. Has a wealth of cricketing experience behind him now, deserves his contract.

Would have felt uneasy if one of Paine or Wade picked up a CA contract. These two cricketers are obviously our brightest wicketkeeping prospects for the future, but it would send the wrong message to give a contract in there formative years. If Wade picked up a contract would that spur or deter Paine from furthering his game? Perhaps Wade would plateau in his development. Makes sense to select Manou, smart move by the selectors.

I like the squad.

Glad Warner/Harris/Laughlin/McGain etc didn't make it.

The only contentious choice is the exclusion of Jaques who probably deserves his place ahead of White and D.Hussey.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information