• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing Great Greg Chappell nominated in World's ***iest Vegetarian Celebrity poll

Matt88

Cricket Spectator
I just saw that Greg Chappell has been nominated as ***iest Vegetarian Celebrity of the Year at PETAAsiaPacific.com! I'm a big fan of his and I'm so happy to see he has a compassionate side for animals. Make sure you cast your vote for him here: Vote for 2009's ***iest Vegetarian Alive | PETAAsiaPacific.com
Greg apparently made the switch in diet because of the horrific conditions on factory farms where animals are raised for food as well as the devastating effect meat production has on the environment and the great health benefits of a meat free diet. Who knew!

Matt79

Global Moderator
Would like to disassociate myself from the sentiments expressed by the OP. Vegetarianism is not acceptable in Australian men, and Greg Chappell is not ***y. In fact, he looks decidedly unhealthy - as do most vegans. You know it makes sense.

:drool:

:Jumpy:

:cowboy:

Need a cigarette now....

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Would like to disassociate myself from the sentiments expressed by the OP. Vegetarianism is not acceptable in Australian men, and Greg Chappell is not ***y. In fact, he looks decidedly unhealthy - as do most vegans. You know it makes sense.

AWTA, what do you want him to stick on the barby, a tomato?

Vegans do actually tend to be quite unhealthy, my dad (a doctor) was recently discussing this with me (I was saying that a friend shying away from the juicy meat these days was a disgusting turn of events) and apparently there are actually a disproportionate amount of vegans who come in with nutrition problems, lack of protein, lack of fibre, lack of some oils or another, stopped listening after a little while as Mylene Klass was on the TV in an M&S ad.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Vegans do actually tend to be quite unhealthy, my dad (a doctor) was recently discussing this with me (I was saying that a friend shying away from the juicy meat these days was a disgusting turn of events) and apparently there are actually a disproportionate amount of vegans who come in with nutrition problems, lack of protein, lack of fibre, lack of some oils or another, stopped listening after a little while as Mylene Klass was on the TV in an M&S ad.
I've often been amazed that some vegans survive TBH, but it's acknowledged by most dieticians that vegeterianism is far more healthy than omnivority (or whatever the term is).

adharcric

International Coach
Just checked out the link in the OP and realized that Sreesanth (spelled Srishant) is also a nominee ...

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've often been amazed that some vegans survive TBH, but it's acknowledged by most dieticians that vegeterianism is far more healthy than omnivority (or whatever the term is).
It's not, it's just that those of us who do eat meat tend to eat a disproportionate amount of it because it's so damn tasty. Hence the veggie type are generally healthier- but that's not to say they wouldn't be if they slipped a little chicken in their curry once in a while.

jeevan

International 12th Man

Seems like your dad has not heard of the China study.
The China Study - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Was introduced to it a couple of years ago by a regular marathon runner who pays a LOT of attention to nutrition, who'd been - upto reading that study - a lifelong meat eater.

jeevan

International 12th Man

Need a cigarette now....
Just about 5 years ago, you could say similar things about oversized SUVs and Americans. Today, Prius is a mainstream car even in the US (and no discussion of GM fails to have Chevy Volt by the 3rd sentence).

The environmental analogy is not only appropriate, but is also the biggest reason to rethink dietary habits.
Rethinking the Meat-Guzzler

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Just about 5 years ago, you could say similar things about oversized SUVs and Americans. Today, Prius is a mainstream car even in the US (and no discussion of GM fails to have Chevy Volt by the 3rd sentence).

The environmental analogy is not only appropriate, but is also the biggest reason to rethink dietary habits.
Rethinking the Meat-Guzzler

Never gets old.

Top_Cat

Seems like your dad has not heard of the China study.
The China Study - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Was introduced to it a couple of years ago by a regular marathon runner who pays a LOT of attention to nutrition, who'd been - upto reading that study - a lifelong meat eater.
From the link;

There are virtually no nutrients in animal-based foods that are not better provided by plants.

Tall claim. One that came instantly to mind is Vit B12. Without meat, the only source is fortified drinks/foods or supplements.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Just about 5 years ago, you could say similar things about oversized SUVs and Americans. Today, Prius is a mainstream car even in the US (and no discussion of GM fails to have Chevy Volt by the 3rd sentence). [/URL]
You, like myself, do not live in America. We live in the East Bay. It isn't exactly on the pulse of red America. Cali attitudes and those in the big bit in the middle are still very different from each other. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's not, it's just that those of us who do eat meat tend to eat a disproportionate amount of it because it's so damn tasty. Hence the veggie type are generally healthier- but that's not to say they wouldn't be if they slipped a little chicken in their curry once in a while.
Clearly anything in moderation won't many any significant difference (unless, of course, it has food-poisoning of some sort in it, which is again massively more common in meat than any other grub) but the whole point is that a diet is about amount as well as components.

Thus, vegeterians are as a general rule more healthy than omnivores.

Redbacks

International Captain
From the link;

There are virtually no nutrients in animal-based foods that are not better provided by plants.

Tall claim. One that came instantly to mind is Vit B12. Without meat, the only source is fortified drinks/foods or supplements.
Oui oui, hopes were aroused as remote areas in India existed where no meat was eaten and the people didn't suffer defficiancy, however the bugs on their food provided them with the B12 required. eww..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Good on Greg Chappell :)

Recently attended 'Super Lawyer' Bruce Wagman speech at the Melbourne Law School about the horrible conditions of farming animals in both the US and Australia. Was a truly confronting experience sitting there and seeing some of the pictures.