Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Cricketing Great Greg Chappell nominated in World's Sexiest Vegetarian Celebrity poll

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Why do you find it stranger that men be veggie than women out of interest?
    Probably because I am a man and it is easy and convenient for us all to assume we are 'normal' and average. Part of it is that I eat meat therefore it is normal.

Also I dont know a veggie man so that means that it isnt 'normal' in my world.

Also there is the whole 'sport and BBQ/Braai' aspects of meat eating. Definately adds to the manly aspect.

Also 2 of my 3 sisters are vegetarian and therefore I associate it with women.

Probably another 100 small reasons why I see it as more strange for men to be veggies.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    About to have an Oporto Bondi burger.
    No one has a problem with that do they?
    Fairly overpriced.

Were you at least man enough to get chilli?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    This thread should def be moved to Cricket Humour, or OT at best btw.
    It was a plain bizarre thread ITFP and your off-the-cuff comment transformed it into something with some seriousness contained.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Nothing bad for you about it, as such, but it's just weird for veggo's I know who claim they're going the more natural route only to have to consume synthetic foods with synthetically fortified nutrients which are obtained from animal sources (generally) like the below;

Process for the production of vitamin b12 - Patent 6492141
    If you take such substances fortified from such sources then you're not a vegeterian, same way you're not if you eat gelatin (yes, gelatin, not gelatine - that's how it's spelt over here) or cheeses with rennit in them.

I avoid any form of animal-flesh\bone-containing ingestion. I take supplements having carefully checked the ingredients to ensure they don't have anything I don't want. I don't eat cheese unless I've checked the ingredients. I don't eat anything vaguely chewy without checking the ingredients. I know plenty of other people who do the same thing. It's called taking note of what you eat, and there's really nothing wrong with it.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Fairly overpriced.

Were you at least man enough to get chilli?
    Yeah, to both actually.

They are overpriced, but pretty damn tasty!!
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If you take such substances fortified from such sources then you're not a vegeterian, same way you're not if you eat gelatin (yes, gelatin, not gelatine - that's how it's spelt over here) or cheeses with rennit in them.

I avoid any form of animal-flesh\bone-containing ingestion. I take supplements having carefully checked the ingredients to ensure they don't have anything I don't want. I don't eat cheese unless I've checked the ingredients. I don't eat anything vaguely chewy without checking the ingredients. I know plenty of other people who do the same thing. It's called taking note of what you eat, and there's really nothing wrong with it.
    Good for you. I just have veggo friends who do the same and claim their diet is more 'natural' than eating meat. What the...? That said I have a lot of reasonable vegetarian friends and I love veggo food (red lentil curry = awesome). They don't try to judge me for eating meat sometimes, though.

If you want to eat fortified foods, go ahead. The only problem with such an approach is that you have to make sure're getting enough of everything else you need. For that to be the case, you'd have to have fairly detailed biochem knowledge not just of the basic building blocks of life like amino acids, carbohydrates and proteins but of trace minerals like magnesium, etc.

Anyway, when you're talking about gelatin, etc., it's relatively easy to get non-animal versions. Vit B12, on the other hand, you cannot get from non-animal sources (bacteria count as animals so any purified version counts as from an animal source). You can't synthesise it either. There are non-meat versions, sure. But it's simply impossible to get that particular vitamin from anywhere else other than from an animal somewhere. By your strict definition above of what constitutes a vegetarian, no-one can legitimately claim to be a veggo unless you're forego Vit B12. Give that a crack and I can bet you'll get pretty sick pretty soon.

For mine, veggo's are far too dogmatic on issues like this when eventually there will be a conflict in your sources of food. Even if you do get some foods from animal sources, that shouldn't be the source of the mental anguish it is. I certainly don't judge. If the aim is to be healthy, food dogma works in oppositiion to that.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Good on Greg Chappell

Recently attended 'Super Lawyer' Bruce Wagman speech at the Melbourne Law School about the horrible conditions of farming animals in both the US and Australia. Was a truly confronting experience sitting there and seeing some of the pictures.
    Wagman on Channel 10:

voiceless : the fund for animals - 9am with David and Kim: Bruce Wagman

Had the privilege of meeting him, such a legend. Sad that representing animals can result in having your life threatened though

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Wagman on Channel 10:

voiceless : the fund for animals - 9am with David and Kim: Bruce Wagman

Had the privilege of meeting him, such a legend. Sad that representing animals can result in having your life threatened though
    It can happen when you represent people, too

Go away.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

*thread closed*

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information