• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing Great Greg Chappell nominated in World's ***iest Vegetarian Celebrity poll

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Why do you find it stranger that men be veggie than women out of interest?
Probably because I am a man and it is easy and convenient for us all to assume we are 'normal' and average. Part of it is that I eat meat therefore it is normal.

Also I dont know a veggie man so that means that it isnt 'normal' in my world.

Also there is the whole 'sport and BBQ/Braai' aspects of meat eating. Definately adds to the manly aspect.

Also 2 of my 3 sisters are vegetarian and therefore I associate it with women.

Probably another 100 small reasons why I see it as more strange for men to be veggies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nothing bad for you about it, as such, but it's just weird for veggo's I know who claim they're going the more natural route only to have to consume synthetic foods with synthetically fortified nutrients which are obtained from animal sources (generally) like the below;

Process for the production of vitamin b12 - Patent 6492141
If you take such substances fortified from such sources then you're not a vegeterian, same way you're not if you eat gelatin (yes, gelatin, not gelatine - that's how it's spelt over here) or cheeses with rennit in them.

I avoid any form of animal-flesh\bone-containing ingestion. I take supplements having carefully checked the ingredients to ensure they don't have anything I don't want. I don't eat cheese unless I've checked the ingredients. I don't eat anything vaguely chewy without checking the ingredients. I know plenty of other people who do the same thing. It's called taking note of what you eat, and there's really nothing wrong with it.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you take such substances fortified from such sources then you're not a vegeterian, same way you're not if you eat gelatin (yes, gelatin, not gelatine - that's how it's spelt over here) or cheeses with rennit in them.

I avoid any form of animal-flesh\bone-containing ingestion. I take supplements having carefully checked the ingredients to ensure they don't have anything I don't want. I don't eat cheese unless I've checked the ingredients. I don't eat anything vaguely chewy without checking the ingredients. I know plenty of other people who do the same thing. It's called taking note of what you eat, and there's really nothing wrong with it.
Good for you. I just have veggo friends who do the same and claim their diet is more 'natural' than eating meat. What the...? That said I have a lot of reasonable vegetarian friends and I love veggo food (red lentil curry = awesome). They don't try to judge me for eating meat sometimes, though.

If you want to eat fortified foods, go ahead. The only problem with such an approach is that you have to make sure're getting enough of everything else you need. For that to be the case, you'd have to have fairly detailed biochem knowledge not just of the basic building blocks of life like amino acids, carbohydrates and proteins but of trace minerals like magnesium, etc.

Anyway, when you're talking about gelatin, etc., it's relatively easy to get non-animal versions. Vit B12, on the other hand, you cannot get from non-animal sources (bacteria count as animals so any purified version counts as from an animal source). You can't synthesise it either. There are non-meat versions, sure. But it's simply impossible to get that particular vitamin from anywhere else other than from an animal somewhere. By your strict definition above of what constitutes a vegetarian, no-one can legitimately claim to be a veggo unless you're forego Vit B12. Give that a crack and I can bet you'll get pretty sick pretty soon.

For mine, veggo's are far too dogmatic on issues like this when eventually there will be a conflict in your sources of food. Even if you do get some foods from animal sources, that shouldn't be the source of the mental anguish it is. I certainly don't judge. If the aim is to be healthy, food dogma works in oppositiion to that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Good on Greg Chappell :)

Recently attended 'Super Lawyer' Bruce Wagman speech at the Melbourne Law School about the horrible conditions of farming animals in both the US and Australia. Was a truly confronting experience sitting there and seeing some of the pictures.
Wagman on Channel 10:

voiceless : the fund for animals - 9am with David and Kim: Bruce Wagman

Had the privilege of meeting him, such a legend. Sad that representing animals can result in having your life threatened though :dry:

Daemon

So much hate for vegans in this thread.

I think it's a great movement and very noble. Personally won't make the change but good on those who do and more power to them. All this manly crap about vegetarians being pussies or whatever is pretty dire imo and only acceptable when making jokes about fast bowlers.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Doesn't Gillespie take this to an extreme. I remember him saying the drinking of cow's milk was sinful or some bollocks.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
MK Gandhi said so too IIRC.
MK Gandhi said many horrible things - defended caste system in some of his Gujarati writings, and even said menstruation is 'manifestation of the distortion of a woman's soul by her ***uality'. He was a pathetic misogynist by all accounts - definitely not someone who could teach a modern man how to treat women, to say the least.

Daemon

Doesn't Gillespie take this to an extreme. I remember him saying the drinking of cow's milk was sinful or some bollocks.
Idk about 'sinful' but considering how cows are forcibly impregnated and the calves taken away from them after birth, following which they're milked till the cows come home, I'm not sure he's far off the mark tbh.