• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing Great Greg Chappell nominated in World's ***iest Vegetarian Celebrity poll

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Anyone else read in the past week that a Belgium city Gant I believe is now having a Vegetarian Day each week, Tuesday FTR. Can't imagine how the butchers in the city would agree to this.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Anyone else read in the past week that a Belgium city Gant I believe is now having a Vegetarian Day each week, Tuesday FTR. Can't imagine how the butchers in the city would agree to this.
Well that's one place in the world I think I'll never be visiting. Basically if it breathes and it ain't a cow, I'll eat it. I reckon as long as you do a good amount of exercise (I work out min. 5 times a week), eat whatever the hell you want, works for me!

jeevan

International 12th Man
Oui oui, hopes were aroused as remote areas in India existed where no meat was eaten and the people didn't suffer defficiancy, however the bugs on their food provided them with the B12 required. eww..
Guess what, the Vitamin B12 in meat products is produced by....

...bacteria. Same way that B12 gets into plant based foods.

(p.s. I am not a dogmatic vegeterian, do eat white meat once in a while. However, the nutritional and environmental evidence is overwhelming, for those of you who choose to be data driven.)

Matt79

Global Moderator
The nutrients required for a sense of humour appear, from my own observations, to be lacking in a vegetarian diet.

jeevan

International 12th Man
The nutrients required for a sense of humour appear, from my own observations, to be lacking in a vegetarian diet.
Yep, does appear that the SUV driving meat eaters have sucked the planet dry of those ingredients as well. Not much jolly-vitamins (or fuel or climate) left for the others.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yep, does appear that the SUV driving meat eaters have sucked the planet dry of those ingredients as well. Not much jolly-vitamins (or fuel or climate) left for the others.
Haha, best response.
Exhibits a) and b) for the prosecution actually.

Bizarre equation of meat-eating with disrespect for the environment. Evidence of brains being denied vital nutrients found in the cooked carcasses of cows and chickens IMO...

jeevan

International 12th Man
Exhibits a) and b) for the prosecution actually.

Bizarre equation of meat-eating with disrespect for the environment. Evidence of brains being denied vital nutrients found in the cooked carcasses of cows and chickens IMO...
I'll reply to this post in the hope that you are really unaware of the connection. Strongly encourage you to look this up some. Starting with the UN report on this: Livestock impacts on the environment

The livestock industry accounts for 18% of greenhouse gas emissions.(I am not advocating dogmatic vegeterianism. Certainly a case can be made for drastically reducing the amount of meat consumption though as there is a 10:1 efficiency in producing vegeterian food with equivalent nutrition).

I realize this is just a cricket forum etc, what got me going was a poster citing a doctor equating health with a predominantly (or even exclusively) vegeterian diet. I'm doing my bit (despite your ridicule) on a fairly important topic.

Last edited:

jeevan

International 12th Man
so if i go out and machine gun a couple of farms i'll be helping the environment? awesome.
Random violence to further a cause?? Dude, get yourself checked for mad-cow disease!!
(And may be not by your dad, what little evidence we have of his medical prowess is not encouraging).

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's wrong with fortified drinks and supplements?
Nothing, but meat tastes better to many people.

Look, there's nothing wrong with being a vegetarian imo, and if you want to do it, that's fine. But some vegies are like Jehovah's Witnesess with their evangelical zeal, and that ****s me as much as it would **** you were some bastard to stand outside a vegetarian restaurant with a "Save the Lentils" placard.

Burgey

I'll reply to this post in the hope that you are really unaware of the connection. Strongly encourage you to look this up some. Starting with the UN report on this: Livestock impacts on the environment

The livestock industry accounts for 18% of greenhouse gas emissions.(I am not advocating dogmatic vegeterianism. Certainly a case can be made for drastically reducing the amount of meat consumption though as there is a 10:1 efficiency in producing vegeterian food with equivalent nutrition).

I realize this is just a cricket forum etc, what got me going was a poster citing a doctor equating health with a predominantly (or even exclusively) vegeterian diet. I'm doing my bit (despite your ridicule) on a fairly important topic.
But if you let the cows roam free and don't eat them, won't they multiply, thereby increasing green house emissions? For the environment's sake, I'm prepared to take on that 750g Wagyu beef steak at lunch, and do my bit.

Top_Cat

This is the sort of post which infuriates. You're dealing with educated people here and you assume they're unaware? Do you honestly think the ridicule stems from ignorance?

Seriously, grow up. It's not about 'choosing' to use data, the data is the juice here. There's no serious consensus even on the construct/internal validity of measures used to inform half the stuff some environmentalists use. So, no, the 'evidence' is far from overwhelming.

Just to pick on the Vit B12 example again;

Guess what, the Vitamin B12 in meat products is produced by....

...bacteria. Same way that B12 gets into plant based foods.

You're not going to claim eating plants with the right bacteria will serve B12 needs are you? Because, sorry to say, it ain't the case. If you have access to an academic journal search;

Rauma AL, Torronen R, Hanninen O, Mykkanen H. Vitamin B-12 status of long-term adherents of a strict uncooked vegan diet ("living food diet") is compromised. J Nutr. 1995 Oct;125(10):2511-5.

And the Indian example Redbacks mentioned essentially found that the Indian population only satisfied their VitB12 needs from bacteria because they had drinking water polluted by human faeces.

Albert MJ, Mathan VI, Baker SJ. Vitamin B12 synthesis by human small intestinal bacteria. Nature. 1980;283(Feb 21):781-2.

This furthers the old theory that plant-eating animals satisfy their Vit B12 needs from eating their own faeces. Further confirmed by the classic study where vegans were fed extracts from their own stools (no kidding, wouldn't get past an ethics committee now that's for sure) which stopped their Vit B12 deficiency dead in its tracks;

Herbert V. Vitamin B-12: plant sources, requirements, and assay. Am J Clin Nutr 1988;48:852-8.

This is from a 2 minute OVID search, I saw heaps more.

And, waddayaknow, even pro-vegan sites agree;

Vitamin B12: Are You Getting It? : Are Intestinal Bacteria a Reliable Source of B12?

The point? Even raw food adherents, faecal bacterial crawling all over their food, have to supplement. There's no way you can eat any non-meat foods and get all the B12 you need. Sure you could eat your own faeces but I doubt I'd have to post any studies to prove how bad that would be for you or mention all the other health problems the Indian population in the study above had.

</grump>

EDIT: Not that it matters but I don't eat a lot of red meat, ridiculously expensive anyway. Just tired of the propaganda.

Last edited: