• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's going to happen to Ryder now?

Flem274*

123/5
*facepalm*

Suspect he tried to have just one sneaky one and, well, for a guy with alcohol issues like him, it snowballed.

Hopefuly its not too serious, this guy is seriously, seriously good. Also a real shame to see someone in his position, addiction isn't nice.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Come across the Tasman. The Australian team isn't complete without at least one tubby left-handed opener.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Will hold my opinion until further details emerge.

Such a shame for New Zealand cricket that Jesse Ryder can't keep himself out of trouble. On talent alone he has the ability to become one of the greatest New Zealand batsman of all time. He has already achieved more in his brief career thus far than countless other pretenders over time.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
God I hate how infuriatingly vague that article is. "He had to be restrained by security guards". Who's security guards? Where? At what time? Was alcohol involved? Were opposition players involved? Were fans involved?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Cricket: Ryder in off-field incident in South Africa - report - Sport - NZ Herald News

Looks like he's in deep trouble again. Not sure what terms and conditions were/are placed on him, but could his contract with NZC be in danger of being torn up now?

Oh for God's sake, James - deep trouble? Why can't you actually wait until we've heard the details of the incident before starting to sign off the death warrant for his career? The reports of this are remarkably scarce and it's mischievous to say the least of the NZ media to automatically link it to alcohol before finding out what went on. But it looks like their approach has worked, with kneejerk reactions such as this thread.

Thank **** I'm out of the media.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Oh for God's sake, James - deep trouble? Why can't you actually wait until we've heard the details of the incident before starting to sign off the death warrant for his career? The reports of this are remarkably scarce and it's mischievous to say the least of the NZ media to automatically link it to alcohol before finding out what went on. But it looks like their approach has worked, with kneejerk reactions such as this thread..
Well that's how it appeared following all the news headlines that he was in for it. I was simply posting what was being reported on NZHerald, Stuff, and other internet news sources and my comment was a question based off those reports. Don't see where I was signing off a death warrant, so that's obviously just an overreaction on your part.

For the record, I would hate to see him lose his contract, as he's one of my favourite kiwi batsman to watch. But I think even you'd agree that he has to be ultra careful in what he does in the public eye in light of past events.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well that's how it appeared following all the news headlines that he was in for it. I was simply posting what was being reported on NZHerald, Stuff, and other internet news sources and my comment was a question based off those reports. Don't see where I was signing off a death warrant, so that's obviously just an overreaction on your part.

For the record, I would hate to see him lose his contract, as he's one of my favourite kiwi batsman to watch. But I think even you'd agree that he has to be ultra careful in what he does in the public eye in light of past events.
He has been extra careful, the media has just proven that it is ready to pounce, he had a drink and nothing happened and all of a sudden there is another Ryder incident. Despicable from the NZ media.

James

Cricket Web Owner
He has been extra careful, the media has just proven that it is ready to pounce, he had a drink and nothing happened and all of a sudden there is another Ryder incident. Despicable from the NZ media.
That's because he's the big-name in NZ Cricket though. Just like Symonds, Beckham, etc. Always looking for a story on the stars and it's to be expected really. The nature of modern day sport.

Athlai

Not Terrible
That's because he's the big-name in NZ Cricket though. Just like Symonds, Beckham, etc. Always looking for a story on the stars and it's to be expected really. The nature of modern day sport.
There is a certain level of distance between Ryder and Symonds let alone Ryder and Beckham. You'd think our media would have learned something after the Veitch escapade.

James

Cricket Web Owner
There is a certain level of distance between Ryder and Symonds let alone Ryder and Beckham. You'd think our media would have learned something after the Veitch escapade.
Yes, there's of course a large level of distance between them, but I was referring to the big names in sport across NZ, Australia and England. They all get treated pretty much the same way by their local media, but it comes with the territory of being a big star.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Oh for God's sake, James - deep trouble? Why can't you actually wait until we've heard the details of the incident before starting to sign off the death warrant for his career? The reports of this are remarkably scarce and it's mischievous to say the least of the NZ media to automatically link it to alcohol before finding out what went on. But it looks like their approach has worked, with kneejerk reactions such as this thread.

Thank **** I'm out of the media.
To be fair the article you linked to just contains the kind of damage limitation PR spin from his management one would expect after an alleged incident. The fact they felt the need to would increase rather lessen lessen my suspicion anyway, so I don't think it's unreasonable to pose the question given his history of booze related woes.

Moreover his manager's spin seems to be suggesting that taking personal responsibility isn't high on Jesse's list of priorities,

"He is disappointed that he drank after being off all alcohol for over 100 days."

Not sorry he got bladdered or admitting he's made an error, but "disappointed" as tho it somehow wasn't an act of volition that he went out for a drink. If his lack of control is such that it really wasn't, then he needs to be on a twelve step program pronto.