• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's going to happen to Ryder now?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Good god, Millmow's article in the Dominion this morning was disgusting. He made it sound like Ryder had got into a bar brawl was lucky not to lose his IPL contract. Millmow is just the worst kind of cricket reporter.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair the article you linked to just contains the kind of damage limitation PR spin from his management one would expect after an alleged incident..
By the same token, there were next to no details in the initial reports about what had happened. It's just the media going off half-****ed on scarce details. And it's ****ed in the head. As I say, I'm glad to be clear of it now.

profernity

U19 Debutant
Thankfully Ryder seems like the kind of guy who doesn't give a **** about what anyone else thinks. Of course, that poses its own problems. Not talking about the supposed altercation, but the drinking, I don't know much about addiction, but I wonder if he is actually getting much support over there, or does he have a personal guard, or nothing at all. Not scoring runs and sitting on the reserves bench is probably not helping, now that's he's got nothing to do and lots of free time.

Polo23

International Debutant
Thankfully Ryder seems like the kind of guy who doesn't give a **** about what anyone else thinks. Of course, that poses its own problems. Not talking about the supposed altercation, but the drinking, I don't know much about addiction, but I wonder if he is actually getting much support over there, or does he have a personal guard, or nothing at all. Not scoring runs and sitting on the reserves bench is probably not helping, now that's he's got nothing to do and lots of free time.
I've taken Ryder the other way to be honest. I think he cares a hell of a lot what people think, especially when it comes to his cricketing ability. To me he comes across as a guy who desperately wants to represent and do well for his country, but has a few skeletons in the closet. The IPL is probably the worst thing that could have happened for him (and cricket, to be fair).

Athlai

Not Terrible
An ODE To BFJ

Monday morning, hesitate
I can’t get out of bed
I’d rather go back to the drinks last night
Which now hurt my head
Yeah… yeah yeah yeah

Tuesday evening, pack my bags
I’m heading out the door
I left a box of crate-bottles
Empty on the floor
Yeah… yeah yeah yeah

Ryde on… ride ‘til the pubs decide to close
Ryde on… like the beer is H2O
It’s too late
For the coach not to know
Go on ‘til security takes ya away

Running from the city lights
Jogging from this empty life
I’m walking out of time tonight
Panting out for help! Help!

Slow down you’re moving too fast
Have a drink you’ll feel better for it
Oh boy you better stop dreaming it’s all in your head

‘Cause it’s beer O'clock now

It’s too late

Ryde on… run ‘til the pubs decide to close
It’s too late
Ryde on… ‘til security takes ya away

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Come across the Tasman. The Australian team isn't complete without at least one tubby left-handed opener.
Ryder isn't an opener though, so he'd not be much use.

Anyway, as I've said before, types like Ryder are amber lights that never go green, and a relapse of the familiar is a favourite story for any media. Thus, this is no remote surprise.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
An ODE To BFJ

Monday morning, hesitate
I can’t get out of bed
I’d rather go back to the drinks last night
Which now hurt my head
Yeah… yeah yeah yeah

Tuesday evening, pack my bags
I’m heading out the door
I left a box of crate-bottles
Empty on the floor
Yeah… yeah yeah yeah

It’s too late

Running from the city lights
Jogging from this empty life
I’m walking out of time tonight
Panting out for help! Help!

Slow down you’re moving too fast
Have a drink you’ll feel better for it
Oh boy you better stop dreaming it’s all in your head

‘Cause it’s beer O'clock now

It’s too late

Ryde on… run ‘til the pubs decide to close
It’s too late
Ryde on… ‘til security takes ya away
Impressive effort that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No less an opener then someone like Langer or Jaques.
Well yeah, but neither of them were openers either, they just happened to open by chance in what was initially expected to be one-off circumstances and ended-up doing so well it stuck. Both of them were and are still middle-order batsmen.

Anyway, neither of them are tubby... and it's possible neither are as good as Ryder either. :-O

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well yeah, but neither of them were openers either, they just happened to open by chance in what was initially expected to be one-off circumstances and ended-up doing so well it stuck. Both of them were and are still middle-order batsmen
Now, I know you're not talking about Jaques here who has batted the large proportion of his career for NSW in the top 2....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Here we go....

Jaques is an opener. Langer is one of the few converts that worked. Done.
They may both be two of the few converts that worked, but they're both still just middle-order batsmen who were manufactured into openers in their 20s or even 30s.

Even Jimmy Maher was such a thing.