• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Not With a Bang...

Isolator

State 12th Man
Inzi's was the most disappointing I can remember... painful, really. Remember hoping he'd go out with a bang and aaagh, stumped off Harris, horrible.

His last two ODI knocks in England were brilliant though, I think it was two 40s or something, but just absolutely masterful stuff. I really really liked those innings.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sure although I honestly believe that Gillespie was discovering the batsman in him and had his career been longer we would have seen more very good batting from him.
Yeah, I don't know how much time Gillespie spent on batting but he often looked to me like he had some potential. He always seemed to me to pick the ball up early and be a very good judge of what to play and what to leave. If he'd worked a bit harder and tried to develop a game on the off-side (for most of his career he pretty much just left anything outside off and only scored when the bowlers drifted onto his pads) I reckon he could've been a good (not merely decent) number-eight batsman. He certainly played a large number of long innings', far more than most number-tens will ever do.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I don't know how much time Gillespie spent on batting but he often looked to me like he had some potential. He always seemed to me to pick the ball up early and be a very good judge of what to play and what to leave. If he'd worked a bit harder and tried to develop a game on the off-side (for most of his career he pretty much just left anything outside off and only scored when the bowlers drifted onto his pads) I reckon he could've been a good (not merely decent) number-eight batsman. He certainly played a large number of long innings', far more than most number-tens will ever do.
If you are a bowler with a latent flair for batting you need to be lucky enough to get some good knocks in early enough in your career. That makes you take your batting more seriously. Mitchell's is a case in point.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you are a bowler with a latent flair for batting you need to be lucky enough to get some good knocks in early enough in your career. That makes you take your batting more seriously. Mitchell's is a case in point.
'Flair' when it came came to Dizz's batting is a bit more than he aimed for, really. Even before getting his Aus cap, was almost famous for batting out most of a day for 50-odd for SA. Was primarily concerned with sticking around, reasoning that runs would come through attrition. Took 'waiting for the right one to hit' to pretty extreme lengths. haha

Impressive cover drive when set, though. Just don't think he rated himself for many years which is the difference between he and Midge. Midge has always been a decent bat and aimed to bat well whereas Dizz, until later, rated himself alongside McGrath.

Top_Cat

No-one worked harder on his batting than Dizzy when he was in the nets. He just limited his game to only a few things he could do then spent all his time on that, reasoning that by hanging around, he was doing his job as a tail-ender. Wasn't really a matter of work, per se, just of focus and Dizzy's was squarely on his bowling. Didn't really care enough to add shots until later.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
No-one worked harder on his batting than Dizzy when he was in the nets. He just limited his game to only a few things he could do then spent all his time on that, reasoning that by hanging around, he was doing his job as a tail-ender. Wasn't really a matter of work, per se, just of focus and Dizzy's was squarely on his bowling. Didn't really care enough to add shots until later.
And even then, he only played them after he was in at least 50 balls.

Dizzy probably did what any tailender should concentrate on: concentrate on only a couple of things, and get bloody good at them, rather than playing a number of strokes but pretty poorly.

Forward defence, back defence, and a flick off the pads was all he needed to perform his role. He made sure he could play them all as well as he could, and it helped Australia immensely.

Top_Cat

Dizzy probably did what any tailender should concentrate on: concentrate on only a couple of things, and get bloody good at them, rather than playing a number of strokes but pretty poorly.

Forward defence, back defence, and a flick off the pads was all he needed to perform his role. He made sure he could play them all as well as he could, and it helped Australia immensely.
Exactly.

That said, saying he had no off-side shots isn't quite right. Check out a few of these handsome shots in between Glenn McGrath's awesomeness;

YouTube - Glenn McGrath Scoring a 50

Redbacks

International Captain
Dizzy was close to SA's most reliable batsman for a season :dry: His most important innings for Australia was possily his 26 off 165 balls in the partnership with Martyn in Chennai, India 2004.

Boof went out with a bang in FC cricket at least. ODD hundred and then a 167 in the FR. Was there for the 167 and possibly his last 80 runs were off 30-40 balls, would have been on 250+ had he batted for another hour.

Top_Cat

He wouldn't pull them out until he was well in.

Surely the most embarrassing thing for Dizzy is his SR that day in comparison to McGrath. 150 balls for his 50 vs about 90 for McGrath's, from memory.
Haha, yeah pretty much. His strike-rate in his double ton was pretty slow going compared to Mike Hussey's near run-a-ball 180-odd too. And Dizzy's strike rate was only as high as it was because the slog was on towards the end of his knock!

TBF to Dizzy, though, McGrath was a jet that day.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dizzy was close to SA's most reliable batsman for a season :dry: His most important innings for Australia was possily his 26 off 165 balls in the partnership with Martyn in Chennai, India 2004.
Grrrr!

That knock, plus his partnership with Katich in Sydney 2004, were crucial innings for Aust vs. India.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Not suggesting for a second that it didn't, merely that he could possibly have done even better if it'd occurred to him to try.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain

Perfect summary of the way Jason Gillespie batted. Even during his 200 against Bangladesh he essentially kept his technique the same. Left nearly anything outside of off stump. Just waited for the bowler to pitch the ball on his pads, so he could whip it through the leg side. Ended up with 200 largely due to the ineptitude of the Bangladesh spinners who where willing to bowl to his strengths.

After attempting a flamboyant sweep-shot in the late 170's - 180's, Gillespie says he was given a scolding from Michael Hussey for not playing his natural game. Had a style all his own with the bat.

Played the perfect tailender batsman. Stuck around, did the team thing. His value to the team as a batsman was worth so much more than his average of 18.73 suggests. Usually always meant that the batsman down the other end was able to add an extra 30-40 runs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Usually always meant that...
:huh:

Anyway, think Gillespie's value is being a teeeeeeeeeny bit overplayed here. He played several superb knocks which played a crucial part in massive stands with top-order batsmen (both as nightwatchman and as tailender) but there's no way he was a regular contributor. A 32-ball 4 at the end of an innings isn't likely to grossly swell the total. Gillespie's attitude to batting was indeed admirable and indeed ideal for more tailenders than not, but it's stretching it a bit to suggest he was worth "so much more" than such-and-such.

Top_Cat

:huh:

Anyway, think Gillespie's value is being a teeeeeeeeeny bit overplayed here. He played several superb knocks which played a crucial part in massive stands with top-order batsmen (both as nightwatchman and as tailender) but there's no way he was a regular contributor. A 32-ball 4 at the end of an innings isn't likely to grossly swell the total. Gillespie's attitude to batting was indeed admirable and indeed ideal for more tailenders than not, but it's stretching it a bit to suggest he was worth "so much more" than such-and-such.
In other news, Glenn McGrath bowls a delivery outside off-stump... again!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ponting's current travails made me think of this thread.

Will the great man be another luminary to have registered a duck in his final test? Or can turn it around in the 4th and sign off in style? Or will he go on?

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Ponting looks quite likely. While I don't like him as a bloke, I believe I can identify cricketing greatness when I see it. It's quite sad for cricket that one of the finest post-War batsmen (in my opinion, anyway) would have such a low-key exit.
The quality of his supreme batsmanship would be missed and for cricket's sake, I hope he has one final grand flurry against NZ and India later this season.