• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player in the opponent teams that you feared most

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
I am an Australian, but I imagine after his peformance in South Africa, the thought alone of Mitch Johnson probably terrifies people.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
I think that this type of thread was done some time ago.

But anyway (of the Test-class nations):
- England: Kevin Pietersen
- India: Sachin Tendulkar
- New Zealand: Shane Bond
- Pakistan: Shoaib Akhtar
- South Africa: Dale Steyn
- Sri Lanka: Kumar Sangakkara (or Murali when playing over there)
- West Indies: Shiv Chanderpaul

Most feared XI:
- V Sehwag
- G Gambhir (due to him scoring at will against us in 2008)
- K Sangakkara
- SR Tendulkar
- KP Pietersen
- S Chanderpaul
- MS Dhoni
- A Flintoff
- DW Steyn
- SE Bond
- M Ntini

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Growing up, Curtly was the most feared bowler in any of the Aussie's opposition for mine. Was always far more relieved seeing the back of Lara too.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
  1. Imran Khan
  2. Zaheer Abbas
  3. Javed Miandad

They really made Indian fans lives miserable :)

Great players all three and they reserved their best for Indo-Pak games.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Has always made me wonder how the Indian side in the 80's and 90's beat Pakistan in all WC matches that they played against each other. Their bowling had legends like Imran Khan, Akram, Waqar, Mushtaq Ahmed, Abdul Qadir etc. but we still managed to win with only Sachin, Kapil, Kumble and Azhar in the team. Was it just luck?

bagapath

International Captain
Has always made me wonder how the Indian side in the 80's and 90's beat Pakistan in all WC matches that they played against each other. Their bowling had legends like Imran Khan, Akram, Waqar, Mushtaq Ahmed, Abdul Qadir etc. but we still managed to win with only Sachin, Kapil, Kumble and Azhar in the team. Was it just luck?
india never played pak in any of the WC games in 70s or 80s. 92 was the first time we played them and beat them fair and square in australia. the game was memorable for the miandad - kiran more incident and a young sachin stepping up. but by then, imran was a spent force as a bowler. (but still a great inspiring presence as skipper). so it was not yet a full revenge for last ball six of the 86 austral-asia cup final.

in 96 akram didnt play in the wonderful QF match made memorable by jadeja tearing apart waqar. great game. i still missed wasim. would have been sweeter to beat him at his peak. but miandad running out and walking back with his head down was a pretty happy image for indian fans. (they should still have given him a standing ovation, though)

99 was a boring affair since india was already out of the tournament by then (and pak went on to reach the final) so the low scoring game never mattered to the fans. i dont remember much of it except akram chatting up azhar with extreme friendliness, azhar smiling back and getting out to the next ball. that guy could lose concentration when there was no money at stake (or may be there was!)

03 WC win was the one that gave me total satisfaction as an indian fan since that had a saeed anwar firing on all cylinders and akram was at his cunning best (despite losing yards of pace with age). their team also had waqar (but past his peak) and akhthar (at his peak if we can ever define one for him). inzi and afridi were there too. it was a high scoring affair. emotions were running high. and we won the match quite easily dominating the second half of the game completely. and there was that sachin six over third man; really the coolest moment for me as cricket fan in 25 years of following the game.

to answer your question straight, no, india did not beat pak regularly when the names you have mentioned played together. the australasia cup match was the 17th game between the two teams, IIRC. and we had won 8 games each with one math abandoned till then. from that position, the last ball six tilted the series so much in favor of pak that we still have not caught up with them. in the late 80s and early 90s we were the favorite whipping boys for pak.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
india never played pak in any of the WC games in 70s or 80s. 92 was the first time we played them and beat them fair and square in australia. the game was memorable for the miandad - kiran more incident and a young sachin stepping up. but by then, imran was a spent force as a bowler. (but still a great inspiring presence as skipper). so it was not yet a full revenge for last ball six of the 86 austral-asia cup final.
And of course Waqar, who was then at or near his peak, didn't play in the '92 World Cup.

Shri

Mr. Glass

in 96 akram didnt play in the wonderful QF match made memorable by jadeja tearing apart waqar. great game. i still missed wasim. would have been sweeter to beat him at his peak. but miandad running out and walking back with his head down was a pretty happy image for indian fans. (they should still have given him a standing ovation, though)

99 was a boring affair since india was already out of the tournament by then (and pak went on to reach the final) so the low scoring game never mattered to the fans. i dont remember much of it except akram chatting up azhar with extreme friendliness, azhar smiling back and getting out to the next ball. that guy could lose concentration when there was no money at stake (or may be there was!)

03 WC win was the one that gave me total satisfaction as an indian fan since that had a saeed anwar firing on all cylinders and akram was at his cunning best (despite losing yards of pace with age). their team also had waqar (but past his peak) and akhthar (at his peak if we can ever define one for him). inzi and afridi were there too. it was a high scoring affair. emotions were running high. and we won the match quite easily dominating the second half of the game completely. and there was that sachin six over third man; really the coolest moment for me as cricket fan in 25 years of following the game.

to answer your question straight, no, india did not beat pak regularly when the names you have mentioned played together. the australasia cup match was the 17th game between the two teams, IIRC. and we had won 8 games each with one math abandoned till then. from that position, the last ball six tilted the series so much in favor of pak that we still have not caught up with them. in the late 80s and early 90s we were the favorite whipping boys for pak.
I understand that Pakistan dominated India in the 90's and India has dominated Pakistan in this decade from what you are saying. Is that correct?:)

HMas

U19 12th Man
I understand that Pakistan dominated India in the 90's and India has dominated Pakistan in this decade from what you are saying. Is that correct?:)
India/Pak record in this decade is pretty even.May be even record for indian fans means dominating against Pakistan after so many thrashings Pak handed out them in 90s.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
That is one thing Indian batsmen should be proud off. They well dominated the world's best leg spinner. Saqlain Mushtaq I think is the most successful spinner against India.