• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World XI for each decade

Xuhaib

International Coach
00,s
Smith
Hayden
Ponting
Kallis
Sachin
Chanderpaul
Gilchrist
Warne
Murali
Mcgrath
Nitini

90's
Anwar
Gooch
Lara
Sachin
S.Waugh
De Silva
Healy
Wasim
Warne
Ambrose
Donald

80's
Grenidge
Gavaskar
Richards
Miandad
Border
Botham
Imran
Doujon
Hadlee
Marshall
Qadir

inbox24

International Debutant
Would definitely have Langer over Smith in the 2000s and someone else in for Ntini. Pollock maybe?

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Yeah would probably have Pollock/Steyn over Ntini for the 2000's as well. Akhtar at his peak would also be worth a mention.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
A quick stab at the 1970's

1. Gavaskar
2. Boycott
3. Richards V.
4. Chappell G.
5. Lloyd
6. Greig
7. Knott
8. Roberts
9. Lillee
10. Holding
11. Chandrasekhar

6 was tricky - there were better batsmen of course, although at his peak Greig was a wonderfully combatitive middle order batsman. But I do like having the extra bowling,including his off-spin as an option where necessary. Barlow might have been an alternative if he'd played more tests in that decade. I considered Sobers past his best, although he did play a couple of awesome knocks in the 70's.

You could easily make a case for one of the other quicks instead of a spinner, especially if conditions suited.

And leaving out Botham wasn't easy. But he couldn't bat at 6 at that satge of his career and I couldn't pick him ahead of the 3 quicks included, despite his stellar figures against the various B-sides he played prior to 1980.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
A quick stab at the 1970's

1. Gavaskar
2. Boycott
3. Richards V.
4. Chappell G.
5. Lloyd
6. Greig
7. Knott
8. Roberts
9. Lillee
10. Holding
11. Chandrasekhar

6 was tricky - there were better batsmen of course, although at his peak Greig was a wonderfully combatitive middle order batsman. But I do like having the extra bowling,including his off-spin as an option where necessary. Barlow might have been an alternative if he'd played more tests in that decade. I considered Sobers past his best, although he did play a couple of awesome knocks in the 70's.

You could easily make a case for one of the other quicks instead of a spinner, especially if conditions suited.

And leaving out Botham wasn't easy. But he couldn't bat at 6 at that satge of his career and I couldn't pick him ahead of the 3 quicks included, despite his stellar figures against the various B-sides he played prior to 1980.
Would the South Africans have a shout? I'd probably want Barry Richards and Graeme Pollock, and maybe Mike Procter is the answer at number 6?

Penguinissimo

U19 12th Man
00,s
Smith
Hayden
Ponting
Kallis
Sachin
Chanderpaul
Gilchrist
Warne
Murali
Mcgrath
Nitini :blink::wacko::-O
Um, not Ntini, seriously. Looking at this team, what is required is raw, hostile pace - for all his faults, Shoaib should be in here as an x-factor bowler.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Would the South Africans have a shout? I'd probably want Barry Richards and Graeme Pollock, and maybe Mike Procter is the answer at number 6?
Only playing 4 tests in the decade counted against them. I'm sure people could make a good case for their inclusion though.

pskov

International 12th Man
60s

Simpson
Lawry
RG Pollock
Barrington
Kanhai
Sobers
Benaud*
P Pollock
Grout+
Hall
Trueman

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
50s

1. Hutton
2. Worrell
3. Harvey
4. May
5. Weekes
6. Walcott
7. Sobers
8. Benaud
9. Trueman
10. Bedser
11. Laker

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
1940's

Morris
Barnes
Bradman
Compton
Suttcliffe
Miller
Mankad
Tallon
Lindwall
Bedser
Johnston

1930's

Woodfull
Ponsford
Bradman
Headley
Hammond
McCabe
Ames
Larwood
Grimmett
O'Reilly
Cowie

Dissector

International Debutant
I considered Sobers past his best, although he did play a couple of awesome knocks in the 70's.
I looked up his figures and he averaged 53 with the bat and 32 with the ball in the 70's in 17 tests so I would say he is a strong contender especially when you factor his legendary double against Australia as well and his superb performance for ROW against England in 1970. Sobers must be the only player who is a strong contender for three best of decade sides. Anyone else come close? Hobbs perhaps?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I looked up his figures and he averaged 53 with the bat and 32 with the ball in the 70's in 17 tests so I would say he is a strong contender especially when you factor his legendary double against Australia as well and his superb performance for ROW against England in 1970. Sobers must be the only player who is a strong contender for three best of decade sides. Anyone else come close? Hobbs perhaps?
That's a lot better than I had reckoned tbh.

As for your second question, did Warwick Armstrong play across three decades? Or Rhodes maybe?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1920's

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Collins
Macartney
Hendren
Gregory
Constantine
Tate
McDonald