• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

all time 11 with a difference!

ret

International Debutant
added one more all-time 11 thread but this one is with a difference

whats different is that you can only pick players that you have watched in a full game [not in highlights]!

shoot on!

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Done it by players that I have seen play live, although some of them did not perform on the day, most notably Sachin and Lara.

Virender Sehwag
Mathew Hayden
Ricky Ponting
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Kevin Pietersen
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Curtly Ambrose
Allan Donald
Glen McGrath

ret

International Debutant
here is my 11 for India [minimum 20 tests]

- Gambhir / Sidhu
- Sehwag
- Dravid
- Tendulkar
- Laxman
- Kapil
- Dhoni
- Srinath
- Bhajji
- Zaheer
- Kumble

gvenkat

State Captain
Shewag
Dravid(Gayle for the ODI's)
Lara
Tendulkar
Richards
Gilchrist
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Curtly Ambrose
Muralitharan

ret

International Debutant
Done it by players that I have seen play live, although some of them did not perform on the day, most notably Sachin and Lara.

Virender Sehwag
Mathew Hayden
Ricky Ponting
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Kevin Pietersen
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Curtly Ambrose
Allan Donald
Glen McGrath
that's as good as it gets :)

stumpski

International Captain
I was wondering that, did you mean watched in live play, or on TV?

Not that it makes a lot of difference.

All seen live:

Barry Richards
Sunil Gavaskar
Vivian Richards
Greg Chappell

(and I saw him keep wicket!!)

David Gower
Derek Randall
Ian Botham
Bob Taylor
Shane Warne
Richard Hadlee
Joel Garner

Attending a couple of Lord's finals in the early 80s (when Somerset were playing) accounted for Richards and Garner. Chappell kept wicket for the Australians vs a Rest of the World XI at Arundel in 1977, the first 'proper' match I ever saw.

stumpski

International Captain
Don't think it makes much difference in my case, I pretty much picked those names off the top of my head - although I haven't seen much live Test cricket in the last 10 years so there are plenty of 'oldies' - about the only way I could make that team stronger is by substituting Randall (now 12th man) with Imran Khan, who I saw make some of his 100 at the Oval in 1987 (his last Test in England).

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
First memories of watching full live games of cricket on the television came circa 1991/1992 World Cup. Attended my first ODI in 1995, so I admit I don't have a huge range of players throughout history to choose from. Has an Australian bias because the majority of games I seen at the ground live are Australian contests. Also reflects the dominate team throughout my period watching cricket.

Matthew Hayden - Dominated the opening batting position for near on a decade.
Saeed Anwar - Does not look out of place in this side. Under-rated.
Ricky Ponting - Fantastic batsman, for so much of his career you felt a century was on the cards everytime he strode out to bat.
Brian Lara - For mine, the best batsman to watch when in full flight
Sachin Tendulkar - Automatic selection
Steve Waugh - Tough leader, tough batsman, backbone of the side
Adam Gilchrist - Clearly the best.
Shane Warne - Genius leg spinner
Curtley Ambrose - As dangerous as they come. Have great memories of big Curtley coming into bowl at the MCG.
Allan Donald - Anyone who seen him bowl circa mid 90's can appreciate just how brilliant a bowler he was. White lightening for sure.
Glenn McGrath - Metronomic accuracy. Never failed to take big hauls of wickets whilst going for zero runs

So many other cricketers could easily make it. Murali, Sehwag, Dravid, Walsh, Flintoff, Younis, Akram, Inzy, Cairns, Kirsten, Kallis, Pollock, Jayasuria, Sanga, Gooch, Pietersen, Healy, Stewart, Flower...on and on.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting
Crowe (*)
Tendulkar
Pietersen
Gilchrist (+)
Warne
Bond
O'Brilliant
McGrath

12th Man

Jeets

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My pick:

Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting
Lara
Tendulkar
V Richards (I was young but I definately remember him)
Gilchrist
Warne
Akram
Ambrose
McGrath

Matt79

Global Moderator
Hayden
Greenidge
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Waugh S
Gilchrist
Pollock S
Warne
Ambrose
McGrath
Flintoff/Kallis (12th)

Seen all live in tests.

If we're counting tv, add in Viv Richards in Waugh's spot and Marshall for Pollock.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At the ground:

Hayden
Gilchrist
Lara
Tendulkar
Ponting
Inzamam
Cairns
Pollock
Donald
McGrath
Muralitharan

So many great players, yet hardly any of them did well when I saw them (which was more than once in the case of Hayden, Gilchrist, Tendulkar, Ponting, Cairns, McGrath and Murali).

The only ones I've seen do well are Hayden (181*), Cairns (one 80-odd in about 8 innings) and McGrath (took 3-for in one game I saw).

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
01. Upul Tharanga, LH (***y edges, cannot score)
02. Jehan Mubarak*, LH (help me papa!)
03. Chamara Kapugedara, RH, RMF (once in 40 innings get a 50)
04. Indika de Saram, RH (ant killer)
05. Sanjeewa Ranatunga, LH (yeah, my big bro is Arjuna)
06. Naweed Nawaz, LH (I average better than Bradman!)
07. Kumar Dharmasena, RH, OB (I like Galle)
08. Ashley de Silva, RH (Ye know, I leaveballs heading towards middle)
09. Ravindra Pushpakumara, RH, RFM (like Waqar, but slower, and all ****)
10. Pramodaya Wickramasinghe, RH, RFM (my arse is for the captain)
11. Ranjith Madurasinghe, LH, OB (right arm straight spin)

Difference, all are inept

pskov

International 12th Man
Watched live at the ground:

G. Smith
Trescothick
Kallis
Lara
Pietersen
Chanderpaul
A. Flower+
Flintoff
Vettori
Gough
Muralitharan

That's some batting line up! The relatively poorer bowlers just shows how lacking quality bowlers have been in the English game for the last 4 or 5 years (since I've started going to watch cricket at the ground), and the fact I missed out on seeing an Ashes match last tour (plus Steyn being injured for the Oval test last year I guess).

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
  1. Matthew Hayden
  2. Virender Sehwag
  3. Ricky Ponting
  4. Sachin Tendulkar
  5. Brian Lara
  6. Steve Waugh
  7. Adam Gilchrist
  8. Imran Khan
  9. Wasim Akram
  10. Curtly Ambrose
  11. Glenn McGrath

5 Aussies, which makes sense considering their dominance during the time I've watched my cricket. Two Indians, two West Indians, and two Pakistanis.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Watched live at some point (so from 2004-):

Tests:

1) Sehwag (just over Langer/Smith/Kirsten)
2) Hayden
3) Lara
4) Tendulkar
5) Kallis
6) *Ponting (is the best performed at #6, even if I think Ponting>Lara)
7) +Gilchrist
8) Warne
9) Steyn
10) Asif
11) McGrath

12) Murali

Shoaib Akhtar just misses out, because he averages around 27 or 28 against non-minnows and he has had a turbulent time with the national side since 2004, anyway. Chaminda Vaas has been Sri Lanka's 2nd best bowler, but not quite good enough to make the all-time watched XI. Steyn can simply hunt for wickets, whilst Asif, McGrath and Warne keep it tight. Kallis would be a very good fifth bowler, whilst Sehwag and Tendulkar can chip in. Murali will be a direct substitute for Asif on turners. Shane Bond's average against non-minnows is 27.

ODI's:

1) Tendulkar
2) Hayden
3) Kallis
4) Mohammad Yousuf
5) Symonds (especially since 2004, when he's averaged close to 45 in ODI's)
6) *+Dhoni
7) Bevan
8) Pollock
9) Bond
10) Muralitharan
11) McGrath

12) Ponting

I had to include Pollock for his economy rate, fielding and batting ability. I've not seen Mendis bowl except on highlights reels. Ponting, Clarke, etc. were very unlucky to miss out, but there was no real room for them in this lineup. I didn't realise just how good an ODI player Mohammad Yousuf is until doing some research.

I decided to make Ponting 12th man, for he can field and come in and captain the side if need be.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Test:

Virender Sehwag
Matthew Hayden
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Steve Waugh
Jacques Kallis
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Curtly Ambrose
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

ODI (from the top of my mind):

Sanath Jayasuriya
Sachin Tendulkar
Vivian Richards
Javed Miandad
Brian Lara
Michael Bevan
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Curtly Ambrose
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

My XI:
Matthew Hayden
Graeme Smith
Brian Lara
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
+Andy Flower
*Imran Khan
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
Curtley Ambrose
Muttiah Muralitharan

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Watched live at some point (so from 2004-):

ODI's:

1) Tendulkar
2) Hayden
3) Kallis
4) Mohammad Yousuf
5) Symonds (especially since 2004, when he's averaged close to 45 in ODI's)
6) *+Dhoni
7) Bevan
8) Pollock
9) Bond
10) Muralitharan
11) McGrath

12) Ponting

I had to include Pollock for his economy rate, fielding and batting ability. I've not seen Mendis bowl except on highlights reels. Ponting, Clarke, etc. were very unlucky to miss out, but there was no real room for them in this lineup. I didn't realise just how good an ODI player Mohammad Yousuf is until doing some research.

I decided to make Ponting 12th man, for he can field and come in and captain the side if need be.
When you replace MoYo with ponting and Hayden with Jayasuriya, it's almost perfect. Jayasuriya >> Hayden as a player any day.