• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the most 'undroppable' player in the world?

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
My top 3.

Kumar Sangakkara - Undoubtedly the finest Sri Lankan batsman currently. Possibly the greatest of all time. Still has years of international cricket ahead of him, one of the leaders of the Sri Lankan team. Lack of any real depth to ever threaten for his position.

Andrew Flintoff - If this guy is available, he will play. Will probably never play enough test matches in succession to ever test his long-term form. Flintoff is just so vital to the England side, I find it near on impossible for the selectors to force him out.

Dan Vettori - Is nearing the possibility of making the team as a batsman or as a bowler currently. Would take a seriously massive dip in form in first his batting, and then his bowling to ever consider the selectors wielding the axe on Vettori. Solid as captain, very rare to drop the captain who still has years ahead of him.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Tendulkar is the most undroppable player in all forms, with Gayle, Murali and Sangakkara.

Kallis undroppable in tests you'd think, but SA have shown they're more than willing to give him in the arse in T20.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chanderpaul by a street - except for Sarwan bashing an inept England, he's been literally the only thing standing between the WI and massive defeats for years now

Athlai

Not Terrible
:laugh:

Everyone is way off by a mile. What team relies on one player more than any other, in terms of Test class batting and bowling? New Zealand? Na they have guys who do averagely. West Indies? A couple good bowlers and batsman in the ranks. Bangladesh? Ashraful? Mortaza? SHAKIB Best batsman and best bowler in the team.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Surely the question is meant to be interpreted as who is, and not who should be?

Its not out of the realm of reality that in 18 months time some ridiculous WI selector drops Chanders. Even though he's far more integral to WI than Tendulkar is to India, the reality is Tendulkar is more undroppable one would feel.

Same with Murali, even if his form drops off, if he doesn't want to go, he's not going anywhere.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surely the question is meant to be interpreted as who is, and not who should be?

Its not out of the realm of reality that in 18 months time some ridiculous WI selector drops Chanders. Even though he's far more integral to WI than Tendulkar is to India, the reality is Tendulkar is more undroppable one would feel.

Same with Murali, even if his form drops off, if he doesn't want to go, he's not going anywhere.
If the question is "who would never be dropped because the selectors dont have the balls" then the answer is Tendy

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If the question is "who would never be dropped because the selectors dont have the balls" then the answer is Tendy
Basically yes. Murali is another.

Thinking about it, its possible that Gayle could get in a dispute over spship or something and be dropped from the team.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
After surviving that ridiculous manoevering to get rid of Moores apparently unscathed KP must be as close to untouchable as you can get.
Not so sure, myself. He'd have to say or do something monolithically stupid, but the ECB showed us during Mooresgate that they aren't afraid to knock KP down a peg or two when they stripped him of the captaincy.

Yeah, this.

Mind you, given the way some Indian fans reacted to their early WC exit, if I were an Indian selector and lived in India I wouldn't be dropping him any time soon either. Like my windows unsmashed, tbh.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd say Tendular, Murali & Pieterson. There are others, but that's my top 3.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Stuff about Clarke being undroppable is silly - he's already been droped once in his five year career, and since getting back in the team hasn't put a foot wrong.

In ODIs he's class as well, he's been down on form in that format this last year, but still contributing in the field and with the ball. Remains easily in the top 3-4 ODI batsmen in Aus. Who is it suggested he should make for? Hodge? D. Hussey? White? Much as it pains me to say this about three Vics but Clarke better than all of them.