• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Solitary Shivnarine Chanderpaul just happy to keep on batting

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
The No1 batsman in the world admits it's always about him against the rest of the world, whether it's battles with personalities, the media or leading the West Indies

There are few subjects that will shake Chanderpaul out of his private world, but Kevin Pietersen is one of them. The two batsmen are polar opposites – *Pietersen loves the limelight, Chanderpaul detests "glamour"; Pietersen loves to take risks, Chanderpaul would rather stay at the crease. They meet again at Lord's on Wednesday as England take on West Indies. At the mention of KP, *Chanderpaul's face grows very dark. On the recent West Indies tour Pietersen took a swipe at him, accusing him of "playing for himself". It was a comment that Chanderpaul did not take lightly.

"You can't assume or think someone's just playing for themselves. I don't know where he gets his stories from … I can't be playing for myself when I'm in Trinidad trying to save a match. Scoring 140 and I'm playing for myself?" Chanderpaul's expression is one of utter disgust.
"As soon as the teacher back turned, she don't see me again," he says. "She'd look out the window and see me on the ground playing. My sister just used to pick up my schoolbag and bring it home."

Athlai

Not Terrible
Never actually thought about it but KP is pretty much the definition of a selfish cricketer while out at the crease. Calling Chanderpaul selfish was pretty laughable.

sammy2

Banned
Bob willis can call KP anything he please and CW members cheer, but if I say KP is anything I become a troll and should be banned. How the **** can anyone care what hypocrites have to say ?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bob willis can call KP anything he please and CW members cheer, but if I say KP is anything I become a troll and should be banned. How the **** can anyone care what hypocrites have to say ?
I'd hook right into KP if I were you mate. Reckon's Athlai was spot on - his comment's (KP's) were way OTT.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Chanderpaul will probably not be dismissed in the upcoming series. Showing the determination and perseverance of a man looking to hold his team aloft.

Pietersen will play a couple flashy innings, but ultimately be dismissed time and time again playing a big shot. Attempting to look a million dollars.

Which player plays for themselves again? Odd.

Top_Cat

Chanderpaul will probably not be dismissed in the upcoming series. Showing the determination and perseverance of a man looking to hold his team aloft.

Pietersen will play a couple flashy innings, but ultimately be dismissed time and time again playing a big shot. Attempting to look a million dollars.

Which player plays for themselves again? Odd.
Presupposes you know what motivates KP. Think you're painting a very unfair picture of him. By that logic, Gilchrist was a selfish player, getting out many times in tough circumstances. But, of course, nothing but "That's just the way he plays...." from the commentators, probably because he's a nice guy and has big, cute ears. KP does the same thing and he's selfish?

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Presupposes you know what motivates KP. Think you're painting a very unfair picture of him. By that logic, Gilchrist was a selfish player, getting out many times in tough circumstances. But, of course, nothing but "That's just the way he plays...." from the commentators, probably because he's a nice guy and has big, cute ears. KP does the same thing and he's selfish?
You are spot on. I wasn't attempting to tarnish KP too much. I just found his comments to be disrespectful of a wonderfully determined and gritty cricketer. The way KP plays is of huge importance to his teams performance. Nothing can change the game more dramatic that a batsman striding out and taking command of the bowling attack, something both KP and Gilchrist do well. They place their own average and reputation on the line by looking to dominate.

I just think KP was the wrong person to criticise the way Chanderpaul plays the game. Don't feel anyone should criticise Chanderpaul, few players epitomise the backbone of a team more than Shiv.

Top_Cat

You are spot on. I wasn't attempting to tarnish KP too much. I just found his comments to be disrespectful of a wonderfully determined and gritty cricketer. The way KP plays is of huge importance to his teams performance. Nothing can change the game more dramatic that a batsman striding out and taking command of the bowling attack, something both KP and Gilchrist do well. They place their own average and reputation on the line by looking to dominate.

I just think KP was the wrong person to criticise the way Chanderpaul plays the game. Don't feel anyone should criticise Chanderpaul, few players epitomise the backbone of a team more than Shiv.
Yeah agreed, KP definitely should have kept his trap firmly shut on that one.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Well there's a big difference between doing it at no.7 in an ultra successful team and doing at no.4 in a poor team where you're clearly the best player. Can't remember Gilly getting out to stupid shots when the pressure was on anyway, remember him defending and edging behind in tight situations but never trying to hoick it into next week, at least not in tests.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It doesn't matter how KP bats. KP could bat like Gavaskar, he could bat like Tendulkar or whomever, his comments were uncalled for and I don't think even the staunchest KP supporter would agree with what he said, nor even try and defend it.

jondavluc

State Regular
Never been a fan of Kevin"figjam" Pietersen and his comments of Shiv haven't convinced me to like him ethier that is for certain.:sleep:

Top_Cat

Well there's a big difference between doing it at no.7 in an ultra successful team and doing at no.4 in a poor team where you're clearly the best player. Can't remember Gilly getting out to stupid shots when the pressure was on anyway, remember him defending and edging behind in tight situations but never trying to hoick it into next week, at least not in tests.
Course he did. Here are a couple that immediately come to mind without even having to look them up;

Chasing a low total on a fairly uneven deck, Hayden and Clarke just out so what does Gilly do? Try to spank Harbhajan into the stands and is caught on the fence leaving Aus 7/58 with nothing but the tail to come;

Cricinfo - 4th Test: India v Australia at Mumbai, Nov 3-5, 2004

Aus, having just lost Katich, needed someone to stick around to the end of the day with Clarke to give themselves a chance on day 5. Gilly comes out and with an airy swing, lobs Giles to mid-on leaving Gillespie exposed with a few overs to come and the pressure all on Clarke to score the runs.

Cricinfo - 2nd Test: England v Australia at Birmingham, Aug 4-7, 2005

Personally all the good Gilly did far, far outweighs indiscretions like the above and others but let's face it, if it was Pietersen in the same situation, he'd be bollocked.

He's still a douche, though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It doesn't matter how KP bats. KP could bat like Gavaskar, he could bat like Tendulkar or whomever, his comments were uncalled for and I don't think even the staunchest KP supporter would agree with what he said, nor even try and defend it.
Yep, count me as one of those staunch supporters but I don't think he should have said it.

I also don't agree when people call Pietersen selfish, mind.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
KP would call Allan Border selfish. KP is the definition of a selfish cricketer. It works for him though, and it works for England.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
See I think there is contradicition in your post. If it works for england then it's not really selfish. There are two basic things a batsman can do for the team; score runs or occupy the crease. Pietersen is capabale of doing either or both depending on the situation. People will point to his dismissal at Edgbaston last summer, but this is countered IMO by the fact that for the few times he has done that, he has played a great innings to the team's benefit.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It works for England because in the end he is scoring runs. We'll see about his selfishness as he gets into different situations when he is not in the best of form.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
KP would call Allan Border selfish. KP is the definition of a selfish cricketer. It works for him though, and it works for England.
Well it's worked for him, not so sure it's worked for England going by results. e.g. recent loss vs Windies.

Regarding the first of those situations Top Cat, I remember that match and for a player like Gilly I don't think survival was really an option on that surface, he probably figured that he didn't have the technique to stick around so his best option was to score some quick runs before his number came up, didn't come off though. Fair enough about the second, had forgotten about that dismissal despite watching it!

Top_Cat

Well it's worked for him, not so sure it's worked for England going by results. e.g. recent loss vs Windies.

Regarding the first of those situations Top Cat, I remember that match and for a player like Gilly I don't think survival was really an option on that surface, he probably figured that he didn't have the technique to stick around so his best option was to score some quick runs before his number came up, didn't come off though. Fair enough about the second, had forgotten about that dismissal despite watching it!
Personally, the Aussies over-estimated the lethality of the Mumbai deck in 2004.