Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solitary Shivnarine Chanderpaul just happy to keep on batting

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar

Solitary Shivnarine Chanderpaul just happy to keep on batting

The No1 batsman in the world admits it's always about him against the rest of the world, whether it's battles with personalities, the media or leading the West Indies

There are few subjects that will shake Chanderpaul out of his private world, but Kevin Pietersen is one of them. The two batsmen are polar opposites *Pietersen loves the limelight, Chanderpaul detests "glamour"; Pietersen loves to take risks, Chanderpaul would rather stay at the crease. They meet again at Lord's on Wednesday as England take on West Indies. At the mention of KP, *Chanderpaul's face grows very dark. On the recent West Indies tour Pietersen took a swipe at him, accusing him of "playing for himself". It was a comment that Chanderpaul did not take lightly.

"You can't assume or think someone's just playing for themselves. I don't know where he gets his stories from I can't be playing for myself when I'm in Trinidad trying to save a match. Scoring 140 and I'm playing for myself?" Chanderpaul's expression is one of utter disgust.
    "As soon as the teacher back turned, she don't see me again," he says. "She'd look out the window and see me on the ground playing. My sister just used to pick up my schoolbag and bring it home."
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Never actually thought about it but KP is pretty much the definition of a selfish cricketer while out at the crease. Calling Chanderpaul selfish was pretty laughable.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    sammy2 to respond.....
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Banned
    Bob willis can call KP anything he please and CW members cheer, but if I say KP is anything I become a troll and should be banned. How the **** can anyone care what hypocrites have to say ?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sammy2 View Post
    Bob willis can call KP anything he please and CW members cheer, but if I say KP is anything I become a troll and should be banned. How the **** can anyone care what hypocrites have to say ?
    I'd hook right into KP if I were you mate. Reckon's Athlai was spot on - his comment's (KP's) were way OTT.

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Chanderpaul will probably not be dismissed in the upcoming series. Showing the determination and perseverance of a man looking to hold his team aloft.

Pietersen will play a couple flashy innings, but ultimately be dismissed time and time again playing a big shot. Attempting to look a million dollars.

Which player plays for themselves again? Odd.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble One View Post
    Chanderpaul will probably not be dismissed in the upcoming series. Showing the determination and perseverance of a man looking to hold his team aloft.

Pietersen will play a couple flashy innings, but ultimately be dismissed time and time again playing a big shot. Attempting to look a million dollars.

Which player plays for themselves again? Odd.
    Presupposes you know what motivates KP. Think you're painting a very unfair picture of him. By that logic, Gilchrist was a selfish player, getting out many times in tough circumstances. But, of course, nothing but "That's just the way he plays...." from the commentators, probably because he's a nice guy and has big, cute ears. KP does the same thing and he's selfish?
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Presupposes you know what motivates KP. Think you're painting a very unfair picture of him. By that logic, Gilchrist was a selfish player, getting out many times in tough circumstances. But, of course, nothing but "That's just the way he plays...." from the commentators, probably because he's a nice guy and has big, cute ears. KP does the same thing and he's selfish?
    You are spot on. I wasn't attempting to tarnish KP too much. I just found his comments to be disrespectful of a wonderfully determined and gritty cricketer. The way KP plays is of huge importance to his teams performance. Nothing can change the game more dramatic that a batsman striding out and taking command of the bowling attack, something both KP and Gilchrist do well. They place their own average and reputation on the line by looking to dominate.

I just think KP was the wrong person to criticise the way Chanderpaul plays the game. Don't feel anyone should criticise Chanderpaul, few players epitomise the backbone of a team more than Shiv.

Quote Originally Posted by Noble One View Post
    You are spot on. I wasn't attempting to tarnish KP too much. I just found his comments to be disrespectful of a wonderfully determined and gritty cricketer. The way KP plays is of huge importance to his teams performance. Nothing can change the game more dramatic that a batsman striding out and taking command of the bowling attack, something both KP and Gilchrist do well. They place their own average and reputation on the line by looking to dominate.

I just think KP was the wrong person to criticise the way Chanderpaul plays the game. Don't feel anyone should criticise Chanderpaul, few players epitomise the backbone of a team more than Shiv.
    Yeah agreed, KP definitely should have kept his trap firmly shut on that one.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Well there's a big difference between doing it at no.7 in an ultra successful team and doing at no.4 in a poor team where you're clearly the best player. Can't remember Gilly getting out to stupid shots when the pressure was on anyway, remember him defending and edging behind in tight situations but never trying to hoick it into next week, at least not in tests.

It doesn't matter how KP bats. KP could bat like Gavaskar, he could bat like Tendulkar or whomever, his comments were uncalled for and I don't think even the staunchest KP supporter would agree with what he said, nor even try and defend it.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Never been a fan of Kevin"figjam" Pietersen and his comments of Shiv haven't convinced me to like him ethier that is for certain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Death
    Dumb I told him"the serpent that never dies is dead I took her life three thousend years ago! the never ending battle has ended"

Awesome Test XI

Tillekeratne Dilshan
    Simon Katich
    Ricky Ponting (c)
    Michael Hussey
    Michael Clarke
    AB de Villiers
    Brad Haddin (k)
    Daniel Vettori
    Peter Siddle
    Dong Bollinger
    Ben Hilfenhaus

Quote Originally Posted by oitoitoi View Post
    Well there's a big difference between doing it at no.7 in an ultra successful team and doing at no.4 in a poor team where you're clearly the best player. Can't remember Gilly getting out to stupid shots when the pressure was on anyway, remember him defending and edging behind in tight situations but never trying to hoick it into next week, at least not in tests.
    Course he did. Here are a couple that immediately come to mind without even having to look them up;

Chasing a low total on a fairly uneven deck, Hayden and Clarke just out so what does Gilly do? Try to spank Harbhajan into the stands and is caught on the fence leaving Aus 7/58 with nothing but the tail to come;

Cricinfo - 4th Test: India v Australia at Mumbai, Nov 3-5, 2004

Aus, having just lost Katich, needed someone to stick around to the end of the day with Clarke to give themselves a chance on day 5. Gilly comes out and with an airy swing, lobs Giles to mid-on leaving Gillespie exposed with a few overs to come and the pressure all on Clarke to score the runs.

Cricinfo - 2nd Test: England v Australia at Birmingham, Aug 4-7, 2005

Personally all the good Gilly did far, far outweighs indiscretions like the above and others but let's face it, if it was Pietersen in the same situation, he'd be bollocked.

He's still a douche, though.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    It doesn't matter how KP bats. KP could bat like Gavaskar, he could bat like Tendulkar or whomever, his comments were uncalled for and I don't think even the staunchest KP supporter would agree with what he said, nor even try and defend it.
    Yep, count me as one of those staunch supporters but I don't think he should have said it.

I also don't agree when people call Pietersen selfish, mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    KP would call Allan Border selfish. KP is the definition of a selfish cricketer. It works for him though, and it works for England.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information