Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eoin Morgan

State Vice-Captain

Eoin Morgan

Personally I'm disgusted at his selection for England. He's represented Ireland for years now and they've put a lot of time, effort and money into his development. For England to swoop in and poach him shows a glaring lack of moral fibre. Disgraceful, just disgraceful. Pietersen was one thing but this is quite another, he's played against England FFS.

International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Here Here!!!! AWTA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    All these Broad fans are no doubt Kohli fans too. Fans of tosspot wankers.

Quote Originally Posted by oitoitoi View Post
    Personally I'm disgusted at his selection for England. He's represented Ireland for years now and they've put a lot of time, effort and money into his development. For England to swoop in and poach him shows a glaring lack of moral fibre. Disgraceful, just disgraceful. Pietersen was one thing but this is quite another, he's played against England FFS.
    Blimey, strong feelings.

Picking a player who is qualified to play for you doesn't suggest to me a "glaring lack of moral fibre."

He could of course have refused to play if he wanted to. Does he lack moral fibre too?

The thing that annoys me is that Morgan last played for Ireland 2 weeks ago, yet is eligible to play for England in 3 weeks or whenever the ODI series is.

Yet, as soon as he plays for England in an ODI, he's ineligible for Ireland for 4 years.

Something's not right there.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    He could of course have refused to play if he wanted to. Does he lack moral fibre too?

Yeah he does IMO. But he's not going to turn it down because he'll look at it as a career move. Saqlain Mushtaq is England qualified, how would you feel if they picked him?

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    The thing that annoys me is that Morgan last played for Ireland 2 weeks ago, yet is eligible to play for England in 3 weeks or whenever the ODI series is.

Yet, as soon as he plays for England in an ODI, he's ineligible for Ireland for 4 years.

Didn't know that, makes it even worse. Probably won't impress enough either which makes it all the more pointless.

Yeah he does IMO. But he's not going to turn it down because he'll look at it as a career move. Saqlain Mushtaq is England qualified, how would you feel if they picked him?
    Well I would take it in my stride - but I don't think my instinctive anti-England feelings are naturally quite as strong as yours

It's tough when Ireland don't have a test team and he obviously has aspiratons to play test cricket and Ireland wont receive test status for a long time, if ever.

It reminds me of Graeme Hick. He was somewhat reluctant to represent England but his ambition to play test cricket and he thought Zimbabwe weren't going to get test status for a while (ironically it happened the year after his debut. Lol) so he picked us.

I don't really mind if someone gives 100% for us. He's young and has been pretty impressive though I don't think internation calibre just yet.

Who would people rather have representing us, a "foreigner" playing who gives 100% in every game or Steve Harmison who doesn't really give a **** and assumes it's a birthright being selected to play test for England?

State Vice-Captain
    Well I would take it in my stride - but I don't think my instinctive anti-England feelings are naturally quite as strong as yours
    I'm not anti-England, I'm anti ECB.

I'm not anti-England, I'm anti ECB.
    Ah.

International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post

What he said...

Quote Originally Posted by rivera213 View Post
    It's tough when Ireland don't have a test team and he obviously has aspiratons to play test cricket and Ireland wont receive test status for a long time, if ever.
    Yep. And frankly in my eyes an Irishman who plays for Middlesex is only a short hop from being English anyway. Not much different from a Scotsman (many of whom have played for England) or a Welshman (who are weirdly deemed to be "English" for these purposes).

State Vice-Captain
    Yep. And frankly in my eyes an Irishman who plays for Middlesex is only a short hop from being English anyway. Not much different from a Scotsman (many of whom have played for England) or a Welshman (who are weirdly deemed to be "English" for these purposes).
    But being Scottish or Welsh is still British at least, they're essentially ruled by the same central government and it's actually the England & Wales Cricket Board anyway. But Morgan's Irish, not Northern Irish. Zaremba you can't possibly tell me that this doesn't leave even the slightest sour taste in the mouth?

Zaremba you can't possibly tell me that this doesn't leave even the slightest sour taste in the mouth?
    No it genuinely doesn't in the least. If people want to play for England, that makes me happy not angry.

Besides he's not the first - he's walking in Ed Joyce's footsteps.

And if he wants to play Test cricket, as he presumably does, England is his only chance. So I find it extraordinarily hard to criticise him for his decision too.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    I'd be interested to know whether Morgan see's himself as English for cricketing purposes or as a mercenary - if it's the former I have no problem with his place of birth - if the latter - well that would be different ...........................

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information