• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Home track bully XI

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is a thread dedicated to players who dominate in their own country but are significantly worse outside it. Three names spring to mind instantly.

Hayden - H: 5210 @ 57.88 A: 3415 @ 42.69 (inc neutral games)
Haynes - H: 3868 @ 56.05 A: 3619 @ 33.50
xxx
xxx
xxx
xxx
xxx
xxx
McDermott - H: 193 @ 26.47 A: 98 @ 32.88
Kumble - H: 350 @ 24.88 A: 269 @ 35.85
Qadir - H: 168 @ 26.82 A: 68 @ 47.58

Current players (i.e. reserve bench):

Ian Bell - H: 1637 @ 45.47 A: 1367 @ 35.97
Steve Harmison - H: 128 @ 28.28 A: 93 @ 36.61

Who is going to fill in the rest of the spots? Remember the criteria is based on the difference between home and away averages. The players should all be world class as well (i.e. 20ish tests or more).

The rules for this:

1) The goal is to have the team that is absolutely unbeatable at home and has no chance in hell of winning away. Therefore the greater the disparity the better.
2) Modern players hit the reserve bench (they can still avoid the team until they retire).
3) Any player on the list that gets replaced will go into a "rejects" pile.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Ian Bell. Averages 45 in England, 65 in England's first innings of a Test, but away from home the average drops to 35 with only 2 of his 8 Test hundreds coming away from England.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
This is a thread dedicated to players who dominate in their own country but are significantly worse outside it. Three names spring to mind instantly.

Hayden
xxx
xxx
xxx
xxx
xxx
xxx
xxx
McDermott
Kumble
xxx

Who is going to fill in the rest of the spots? Remember the criteria is based on the difference between home and away averages. The players should all be world class as well (i.e. 20ish tests or more).
I haven't looked them up - what are the home/away records of the three men you've listed there?

I know Abdul Qadir was much, much more successful at home than away.

stephen

I haven't looked them up - what are the home/away records of the three men you've listed there?

I know Abdul Qadir was much, much more successful at home than away.
I have added the stats to my original post.

Wow, Qadir has a huge disparity.

H: 168 @ 26.82 A: 68 @ 47.58

stephen

Ian Bell. Averages 45 in England, 65 in England's first innings of a Test, but away from home the average drops to 35 with only 2 of his 8 Test hundreds coming away from England.
I'd like to keep this to players who have retired, but I have added him to the reserve bench.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Steve Harmison's Test bowling average (for England)
At Durham: 23.18
In England: 28.28
Outside England: 37.12

King Pietersen

International Captain
Desmond Haynes

H: 3868 runs at 56.05 with 10 Hundreds
A: 3619 runs at 33.50 with 8 Hundreds

Makhaya Ntini:

H: 247 wickets at 23.29
A: 141 wickets at 37.27

Hell of a difference with Ntini!

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Clyde Walcott
69.83 Home
40.46 Away

Weekes
69.14 Home
49.63 Away

Hussey
64.79 H
44.69 A

Jayawardene

KP

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Anil Kumble must be a shout, particularly looking at his figures in home wins.

Pietersen might be a shout.

Mahela Jayawardene has to be in with a chance as well, his home batting average is in the mid 60s iirc.

edit: not sure what his stats are like after touring New Zealand, but Harbhajan has been largely diabolical away from home, and epic at home - perhaps even more so than Kumble.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Laker
135 @ 18.08 H
58 @ 28.60 A

GAR Lock
104 @ 19.51 H
70 @ 34.58 A

Ntini
247 @ 23.29
141 @ 37.27

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
Trescothick - Home 51, Away 36.

Better option that Hayden IMO.
Trescothicks away form "slump" isn't/wasn't completely down to talent though which is a shame since he was such a great attacking opener.

-----------------------------

Does anyone want to do a list of the statistics of the top spinners from the subcontinent (Kumble, Qadir, Harbhajan, Prassana, Chadrasekar, Bedi, Muralidharan etc and add whoever else you want) inside vs outside the subcontinent (not just tehir home country).

* I'm too lazy to do it myself tbph. :laugh:

Evermind

International Debutant
Yeah, Harbhajan?

home 1998-2008 42 80 26.77 2.65 60.5
away 1998-2009 35 62 37.16 3.03 73.4

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Kumble - 63 Home Tests, 350 wickets @ 24.88, SR 59.4
69 Away Tests, 269 wickets @ 35.85, SR 74.5

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Trescothicks away form "slump" isn't/wasn't completely down to talent though which is a shame since he was such a great attacking opener.
Admittedly he had off the field problems, but I feel his away form slump was more to do with technical deficiencies.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
Admittedly he had off the field problems, but I feel his away form slump was more to do with technical deficiencies.
His lack of footwork for sure. I guess we'll never know how much his problems hindered his batting.

His record in Australia especially (which was in 2002-2003 long before his problems really got on top) is poor.

He did do well in the South Africa series before he Ashes 05 though from memory.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
His lack of footwork for sure. I guess we'll never know how much his problems hindered his batting.
Was probably a vicious cycle, not scoring runs would have made his depression worse, which in turn would have affected his batting and so on.