• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest LIVING Cricketers

Fusion

Global Moderator
We’ve had so many “best/greatest” threads that I thought one more can’t hurt. :p We all have our opinions on who the greatest cricketer ever was. I was thinking to list the top 5 greatest living cricketers today. My list:

(1) Sir Garfield Sobers – probably the most complete player ever. His name would rank close to the top of any cricketing list, dead or alive!
(2) Sir Vivian Richards – King Viv is my favorite player of all time. His dominating and intimidating batting style is the stuff of legend.
(3) Imran Khan – Not only an all-time great bowler, but a great all-rounder and Captain to boot.
(4) Shane Warne – The god of Leg Spin.
(5) Sachin Tendulkar – I can easily switch him for Lara, but the little master barely edges him in my list. Ask me again tomorrow and I might have Lara in place of Tendulkar!

With all due apologies to Lara, Hadlee, Lillee, Wasim, Gavaskar, and Botham.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
In no particular order:

* Sunil Gavaskar
* Sachin Tendulkar
* Graeme Pollock
* Garry Sobers
* Shane Warne

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Personally I'd have Lara over Warne, when I ever think of Warne and Murali, as good as they are I always feel they've both failed their ultimate test in that they never really got the better of the 2 outstanding batsmen of their era, Tendulkar and Lara. It's for this reason that I always rate McGrath ahead of both of them, he fairly consistently got both of them out. I've always felt that much of Warne's aura was inflated through gamesmanship and general hijinks, still the best leggie ever mind.

Xuhaib

International Coach
We’ve had so many “best/greatest” threads that I thought one more can’t hurt. :p We all have our opinions on who the greatest cricketer ever was. I was thinking to list the top 5 greatest living cricketers today. My list:

(1) Sir Garfield Sobers – probably the most complete player ever. His name would rank close to the top of any cricketing list, dead or alive!
(2) Sir Vivian Richards – King Viv is my favorite player of all time. His dominating and intimidating batting style is the stuff of legend.
(3) Imran Khan – Not only an all-time great bowler, but a great all-rounder and Captain to boot.
(5) Sachin Tendulkar – I can easily switch him for Lara, but the little master barely edges him in my list. Ask me again tomorrow and I might have Lara in place of Tendulkar!

Lara for Sach and my list is done.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

No Murali?

Fusion

Global Moderator
No Murali?
Yeah completely forgot to list his name in my “due apologies” section. In fact, he would be ranked number 6 on my list. And besides the top 3 names I listed, I could switch out the other two for any number of names. Murali is the most deserving name that can knock out someone else from my list.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sobers
Viv
Imran

The rest are a bit too even to separate. Warne, Tendulkar, Lara, Murali, McGrath, Hadlee

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
Kinda hard narrowing down to just 5 but lets try by positions:

Batsman: Sobers ??
Fast Bowler: Glenn Mcgrath
Wicket-Keeper: Gilchrist
Spinner: Murali (my opinion)
Allrounder: Sobers (II)

steve132

U19 Debutant
Garry Sobers
Viv Richards
Imran Khan
Murali
Sachin Tendulkar

Botham, Hadlee, Lara, Lillee and Warne (in alphabetical order) would be next.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
  1. Gavaskar Sunil
  2. Richards Barry
  3. Richards Vivian
  4. Tendulkar Sachin
  5. Lara Brian
  6. Sobers Garry
  7. Imran Khan
  8. Alan Knott
  9. Shane Warne
  10. Dennis Lillee
  11. Andy Roberts
  12. Muralitharan

Here is a twelve member squad of the greatest living cricketers.

Its difficult to rank them except that Sobers is undoubtedly on top.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
  1. Gavaskar Sunil
  2. Richards Barry
  3. Richards Vivian
  4. Tendulkar Sachin
  5. Lara Brian
  6. Sobers Garry
  7. Imran Khan
  8. Alan Knott
  9. Shane Warne
  10. Dennis Lillee
  11. Andy Roberts
  12. Muralitharan

No Hadlee?

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
  1. Gavaskar Sunil
  2. Richards Barry
  3. Richards Vivian
  4. Tendulkar Sachin
  5. Lara Brian
  6. Sobers Garry
  7. Imran Khan
  8. Alan Knott
  9. Shane Warne
  10. Dennis Lillee
  11. Andy Roberts
  12. Muralitharan

Knott over Gilly? I agree that Hadlee warrants a place, IMO above Warne, possibly Murali too. Difficult to leave Graeme Pollock out of that list too. Mike Procter as well. Mcgrath's got to get a look in. So does Holding. Wasim Akram? This is too hard!