• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest LIVING Cricketers

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tendulkar > Kallis or any batsman in that list.
That said, personally i'll certainly take the world-class batsman with 250 test wickets and some fantastic slip fielding over the even-more-world-class batsman. Same goes for Sobers over Sachin.

Burgey

Although, Sobers hit six 6s in one over, Tendulkar hasn't.

That being so, the better comparison is obviously between Sobers and Yuvraj or Ravi Shastri :ph34r:

bagapath

International Captain
Although, Sobers hit six 6s in one over, Tendulkar hasn't.

That being so, the better comparison is obviously between Sobers and Yuvraj or Ravi Shastri :ph34r:
an even better one is between GS Sobers and NM Parker (NZ) or N Gifford (Eng) (all three never managed a single run in ODIs, whereas sachin has scored 13000+)

Last edited:

Burgey

SJS, did you see Sobers play at all? I really wish I had. Only seen some old highlight reels, in particular of his 254 v Aus for the ROW in the early 70s.

I know Ian Chappell think enormously highly of him as a batsman - said he's the best he's ever seen.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yes. Sachin is better batsman then Sobers.

I can see Sachin doing what Sobers did but I can't see it other way around.
Ofcourse, We can all see Sachin 365 Not Out but can't see Sobers scoring 248 Not Out Versus Bangladesh.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
SJS, did you see Sobers play at all? I really wish I had. Only seen some old highlight reels, in particular of his 254 v Aus for the ROW in the early 70s.

I know Ian Chappell think enormously highly of him as a batsman - said he's the best he's ever seen.
Yes I did. He played in Delhin in 1966 I think against the Board President's XI where Bedi first made his mark. He got 3o odd in one of the innings. I also watched him from right behind the nets the day before the game. It was like, 15 feet behind him :). It was a terrific experience. You never saw driving like that. Never. The bat was lifted high in the backlift and it finished very high in the followthrough irrespective of whether he was driving off the backfoot or the front foot and the ball never left the ground after coming off the bat unless he deliberately lifted it and then it never came down at all :).

The only player who came close to the beauty and majestic power of his driving that I saw from close quarters was Ted Dexter in December 1961. I was much younger (a couple of months short of my 12th birthday) and wasn't playing serious cricket myself as I was when I saw Sobers so I must admit my appreciation of Sobers was more considered since I had already been schooled into the games techniques by a very orthodox coach.

Still Dexter got fifties in both innings but I vividly recall watching him bat in the nets. The ball twice went right through the nets (and they were doubled up). You felt that a fielder standing too close on the off side would surely get killed. He drove that powerfully. He wasn't as precise and quick with his feet movement as was Sobers when driving off the backfoot.

Lara in his early years reminded me a lot of Sobers's batting, particularly the great footwork and the bat speed. BUt Lara's batting declined (it really did inspite of what his die-hard fans may say) while Sobers continued to bat majestically thoughout his career. He just seemed very disinterested at times. I dont recall many batsman who looked less disappointed as Sobers did on most occasions when he got out.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
To those who watched both Sobers and Viv Richards:

a) who did the opposition respect more as a batsman? (I know that's subjective)
b) who do you think was better at their peak as a batsman?
c) who do you think was loved more by their fans (again, I know, subjective)

Just curious as to where they stand, purely as batsmen, from the subjective points in history.