• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is Ryan ten Doeschate?

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
His record is phenomenal, in pretty much all forms of the game that he's played. Personally I've only ever seen him play once, and even then I didn't see him bat. I'm wondering what are people's opinions on him? Though he's English qualified he has very nobly chosen to represent the Netherlands (though he often dumps them for Essex...). Is he good enough to play for the major sides? Surely he'd warrant a place in England's limited overs sides? Would he be good enough for test cricket though?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
He wasn't qualified to play for England before he represented the Nertherlands (is he even England qualified?).

Is he good enough to represent a major side i.e. the side he wants to play for, South Africa, no but England, maybe. :laugh:

Good batsman but his bowling is never international class, didn't even cause much havoc against the associates with the ball.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure ten Doeschate is an international-class batsman (he's certainly nowhere close to being an international-standard bowler nor will ever be) but he could, conceivably, be. Don't make the mistake of thinking his records are all they might be though - look at his record for Essex alone to get the true picture.

As for as ten Doeschate is concerned, I'd be no happier or unhappy at him playing for England than any other South Africans. Though he may be Dutch in heritage, in upbringing he's 100% South African.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
You don't really know til he plays at test cricket, but he has a first-class average of almost 50 so he's no hack.

I just don't see where he'd play. Our problem position is No.3 and he's a lower middle-order batsman.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
I don't think he should be allowed to play for England or South Africa regarding qualification, the amount of cricket he's played for the Netherlands, it just wouldn't be right. I'm just wondering if he would be good enough, is the world stage missing out on an exceptional talent? I'm suprised he hasn't gotten an IPL contract TBH, even if he didn't get a game he'd be handy cover.

Woodster

International Captain
I don't think he should be allowed to play for England or South Africa regarding qualification, the amount of cricket he's played for the Netherlands, it just wouldn't be right. I'm just wondering if he would be good enough, is the world stage missing out on an exceptional talent? I'm suprised he hasn't gotten an IPL contract TBH, even if he didn't get a game he'd be handy cover.
Not sure he'd be classed as an exceptional talent if given the stage to perform with regards playing top flight cricket. He's a handy, skiddy bowler, useful bowling option, in a good side, possibly get away with him as a fifth choice at a push.

His batting is his strength (also a very good fielder), although without wanting to take anything away from his record so far, it does perhaps flatter him at the moment, imo. Very useful one-day player.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
His record for Essex is not massively special. He has cashed in on many runs and wickets for Netherlands. He is a good all rounder but overrated due to minnow-bashing in his time for the Netherlands. That being said, he does have a capacity as a top quality OD wicket taker and occasional FC wicket taker, due to the skiddy nature of his bowling.

Woodster

International Captain
His record for Essex is not massively special. He has cashed in on many runs and wickets for Netherlands. He is a good all rounder but overrated due to minnow-bashing in his time for the Netherlands. That being said, he does have a capacity as a top quality OD wicket taker and occasional FC wicket taker, due to the skiddy nature of his bowling.
No, his first class record for Essex is pretty steady. He averages just below 40 with the bat and around mid 30's with the ball, which does indicate he's a useful all-rounder. His one-day record suggests he's more important to Essex in this format.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think he should be allowed to play for England or South Africa regarding qualification, the amount of cricket he's played for the Netherlands, it just wouldn't be right.
The point, really, is that if he was going to play anywhere, it should have been in and for South Africa.

He's basically just cashed-in on heritage to play for Holland. In almost every sense, ten Doeschate is a South African.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Tikolo and Odoyo had been better than him. Former as a batsman and latter as an allrounder.