• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lasith Malinga.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
Guys/gals,

What's your opinion on Lasith Malinga?

He is 1 of my favourite bowlers of the moment and he isn't bowling anywhere near as fast (around 135-140kph/84-87mph) as he can (150kph/93mph+).

He has 1 of the best slower balls in the game IMO, extremely hard to pick with that unorthodox low action (and he's only a short man too) it's hard to pick.

His accuracy so far in the IPL has been phenominal, only maybe 6-10 balls way off target in 5 games. He deserves more wickets than he has got.

I know he splits most people down the middle, but no-one can deny he is a dangerous bowler when on form.

He has gone from being an outswinging bowler to an all-out paceman to an accurate fast-medium bowler. He's not long come off of an injury so he'll probably push the speed up slightly, but I wouldn't want him to bowl @ 90mph+ and be inccurate.

Hopefully he avoids further serious injury in the future. I'm sure his SR and average will come down the longer he plays, he's a quality bowler.

Your thoughts?

- Steve

stumpski

International Captain
I like him, because he's a bit different. But because he has that unusual slinging action, he needs to ensure it's legal.

I've been on a number of cricket forums where they say his action is illegal because he delivers the ball below shoulder height. For me, it's marginal, but it's something coaches (and umpires) need to keep an eye on. A slinger's action in itself isn't illegal - otherwise Jeff Thomson threw every ball - but it does have to comply with the laws.

I'm amazed he manages to stay as accurate as he does - you'll get the odd ball which flies down the leg side, but most are on target.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I like him, because he's a bit different. But because he has that unusual slinging action, he needs to ensure it's legal.

I've been on a number of cricket forums where they say his action is illegal because he delivers the ball below shoulder height. For me, it's marginal, but it's something coaches (and umpires) need to keep an eye on. A slinger's action in itself isn't illegal - otherwise Jeff Thomson threw every ball - but it does have to comply with the laws.

I'm amazed he manages to stay as accurate as he does - you'll get the odd ball which flies down the leg side, but most are on target.
Yeah, that's the thing. Those who think his action is illegal don't know the rules, but it's frankly astonishing that anyone can bowl with that much accuracy with such an action.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He has gone from being an outswinging bowler to an all-out paceman to an accurate fast-medium bowler.
I'm not sure how this works. However accurate or inaccurate he's been, and whether he's bowled fast or fast-medium, he's always been principally a bowler who swings the old ball in. He has demonstrated an ability to move the new one out (not surprising with such an action - it's always going to slant away even if it doesn't swing) but that's yet to find as full expression as might be ideal. If he can continue to do the former and learn to do the latter consistently, at the level of accuracy he currently possesses, he's going to be very, very good whether he bowls fast or fast-medium.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
There was a period at he begin of his career where he tried to swing every delivery away from the right hander, though that didn't work.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
If he takes a hat load of wickets at a good average & SR, has a Man of the Match award and wins a game for them he will definitely be reported.

Especially if he gets Ponting out.

It's almost guaranteed.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who hasn't tried to replicate his action for a bit of fun at some point? I'm still annoyed the neighbours didn't give me my ball back...

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
Who hasn't tried to replicate his action for a bit of fun at some point? I'm still annoyed the neighbours didn't give me my ball back...
This is going to sound weird and sad......... but yes. Lol. To no avail. The ball (a rubber one) ended up everywhere but straight. I suppose that's consistent.

Jeff Thomson's isn't too hard to clone, but impossibly hard to bowl comfortably with (for me).

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Always impressed since his debut series against Australia in the top end. Holds some key fast bowler weapons; pace, unusual action, outswing and a deceptive slower ball.

Problem with Malinga is his fitness. Struggles to keep his body together, which isn't a surprise given the pressure his action must place on his body. Also is prone to go missing during test matches, roaring in for a testing opening spell, and then looking docile for the rest of the innings.

Still very young for a paceman, is learning and adapting as his career progresses. Don't believe he will end up with a test average below 30, but will continue to serve Sri Lanka well.

Polo23

International Debutant
My accuracy wasn't too bad...but it came out slower than when I (try to) bowl spin, no matter how much effort I put in.

Strange.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Nice one.

I attempted it down at the nets about a month ago. Had the ball going straight enough, although more at the Chris Harris pace rather than the Lasith Malinga speed. Afterwards felt like my shoulder had been wrenched from its socket.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It is not easy to be accurate with that kind of action. What he has by way of accuracy is pretty remarkable in itself and will always stand him in good stead in the limited over formats. In the longer version he will need better for the long haul That's his real challenge.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like Malinga, principally because he's just so different to most anyone else who's been around the international scene for years. Whether he'll ultimately be regarded as a good or very good test bowler remains to be seen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Long intended to, but still haven't got around to it yet.

I value my right shoulder's health.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There was a period at he begin of his career where he tried to swing every delivery away from the right hander, though that didn't work.
Really? Can't say I noticed that TBH, he was always more of an old-ball inswinger than new-ball outswinger in said top-end series in 2004. Either way, it's still independent from what happened with his pace and accuracy.