• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is the appiont of Bracewell as coach of NZ, a good thing?

Craig

World Traveller
What is your opinion on New Zealand appionting John Bracewell as coach? I think it is a good move and should increase their one day success ratio after his success at one day level at Gloucestershire.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think it is good that he is coach however while fleming is captain it won't work. They don't get on and I can't see Fleming standing down from the power he has which he has to while Bracewell is coach.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Thats not true Tamara.
John Bracewell as far as I know stated that when Fleming played for Middlesex, Bracewell invited him around to his house and they had a great talk about where NZ cricket was at and that he thought Fleming was a born leader.

I think this conflict issue has been blown out of proportion a little..I think the media were just trying to compare Fleming's need for greater power & the fact that Bracewell has had more than his fair share of run-ins with players over the years..but that doesn't mean that Fleming & Bracewell won't get along.

anzac

International Debutant
as the reports show he has a good record as a Limited Overs coach, but has not achieved any measure of success in the longer game.

From memory Braces used to be one of the most aggressive players on the field in all aspects of the game - including giving the opposition players a serve (especially if it was the likes of AB). I doubt that he would have changed a great deal & would still speak his mind.

The new manager / coach relationship would seem to giving him more of a stand alone role without Crowe as manager. I think it will be very telling as to what role he has regarding team selection. If he expands his influence into the selection process then there are a few players I can think of that would be in line for a serve or two, and if they did not shape up he would more than likely ship them out!!

And I don't have a problem with that if it gets the message across to some potential 'prima donnas' in the squad.

I am curious as to what his record is like regarding the development & introduction of new / younger players. I think several of the recent squad have suffered from early intros & then being left on the side & unable to reach any consistency.

:)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Apparently Bracewell has a similar philosophy to that of John Wright when it comes to fielding.

You need to have 11 fielders that are capable of producing moments of brilliance.
So I guess Lou Vincent will be pushed for a first team place by Bracewell because when he goes out to bat he will have +15 to his name with the runs he has saved in the field.

As far as I can see the NZ pace-bowlers are the best fielders in the game..I mean Tuffey & Oram are BIG men but boy they can throw themselves around & pull off some stunning catches.

anzac

International Debutant
stands to reason as Braces always gave a 110% effort in his game and got very dirty on any team mate that made a half arsed effort when he (Braces) was bowling.

I don't have a problem with his apparent philosophy re fielding efforts from the team - it's been a traditional trength of NZ cricket that has not been exploited enough IMO.

Nor do I have a problem re Vincent's continued selection, so long as they give him a settled role re his batting and the time to work it out b4 they change on him again.

Oram has the background as a soccer goalkeeper to throw himself about and have good reflexes / hands etc. But I have been very impressed with Tuffey since I saw him in the Home series v India. IMO the selectors erred in dropping him so early in the WC & persisted with Adams for too long. Tuffey's efforts in the SL tour showed that he is becoming a genuine early wicket taker home or away.

I will be intrested to see if he is prepared to 'carry' Cairns in his teams if Cairns is unable to bowl - and I admit I will be a touch disappointed if he does. Don't get me wrong - a fit Cairns is a match winner with bat, ball or in the field - but if he is not 100% then he should not be there on reputation alone - he must have current form with the bat to warrant his selection ahead of others - even newbies!

:) :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
If John Dyson as a coach is anything like John Dyson as a player, he could be good for Sri Lanka.

He was one of the more solid batsmen of the late 70's 'Packer' era and I wouldn't think that any flamboyance is likely to have crept into his coaching.

Face it, Sri Lanka could do with a bit of solidity of late.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It was just a perception that they have been relying a lot on three or four key players.

Thinking about it, they're in a rebuilding process (like everyone else except Australia and India) so there's likely to be the odd reverse.

Just got the feeling the middle order's been a little brittle of late.

Craig

World Traveller
Well the injury to Nathan Astle will always weaken our line up, I mean along with Fleming, they are our best batsmen.