• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Under 25 Age Teams

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just for fun, basically. :p

I tried to put together a World Under 25 (five-day cricket) team, and I came up with this:
1. Alastair Cook
2. Phil Hughes
3. Daniel Flynn
4. Jesse Ryder
5. Suresh Raina
6. Dinesh Karthik
7. Shakib Al Hasan
8. Jerome Taylor
9. Ajantha Mendis
10. Pete Siddle
11. Ishant Sharma

Really good attack by current Test standards but it was surprisingly hard to find established Test batsmen. I had to include Raina despite the fact that he hasn't played a Test.. the other options were to include Kapugedera, Butt or Guptill but I'd be surprised if Raina couldn't outdo their Test performances thus far. I struggled to find a keeper as well - it came down to Karthik, Rahim or Ramdin.

How would each Test nation go if they played Under 25 "Tests" right now? I might try and put together a few teams; feel free to have a go yourself.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm no good at things like this, but I don't think it's a surprise that there are more young bowlers than batsmen who spring to mind. I guess fast bowlers perhaps peak earlier, and generally batsmen seem to last longer which makes it harder for a young batsman to break into the side.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Might've tried to squeeze Broad in somewhere myself, maybe for Shakib. Tail like a rat at the moment.

EDIT: incidentally this was my under 25 test XI as of 10/09/05.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm no good at things like this, but I don't think it's a surprise that there are more young bowlers than batsmen who spring to mind. I guess fast bowlers perhaps peak earlier, and generally batsmen seem to last longer which makes it harder for a young batsman to break into the side.
Yeah, I definitely expected the bowlers to be easier to find, but I was surprised by the lack of batting options there actually were. I thought I'd be able to at least find five I was reasonably happy with.

To be fair, De Villiers and Taylor both only missed the cut by a month or two, but it really shows just how impressive Hughes's feats as a 20 year old actually are.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Might've tried to squeeze Broad in somewhere myself, maybe for Shakib. Tail like a rat at the moment.

EDIT: incidentally this was my under 25 test XI as of 10/09/05.
I considered Broad in for Taylor to strengthen the lower order but I just don't rate his bowling (yet) so I opted out of it. I don't think he'd add much more (if anything) with the bat than Shakib but he'd probably get a run ahead of him if the pitch was unlikely to turn.

Interesting 2005 team. Particularly interesting is the fact that Irfan Pathan hasn't actually aged a day since you made that post, somehow. Probably a cricinfo error back then.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Australia

1. Phil Hughes
2. Shaun Marsh
3. Mark Cosgrove
4. Peter Forrest
5. Callum Ferguson
6. Luke Pomersbach
7. Matthew Wade
8. Cullen Bailey
9. Clint McKay
10. Pete Siddle
11. Burt ****ley

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England
1.Joe Denley
2.Alastair Cook
3.Ravi Bopara
4.Samit Patel
5.James Hildreth
6.Liam Dawson
7.Steve Davies
8.Adil Rashid
9.Stuart Broad
10.Tom Smith
11. Chris Woakes

Not including Eoin Morgan on principle,

Not sure about this side but it certainly bats a long way down, maybe Dawson is a bit premature but a bit of bias envolved, (and he is going to be really good)

Last edited:

HMas

U19 12th Man
Just for fun, basically. :p

I tried to put together a World Under 25 (five-day cricket) team, and I came up with this:
1. Alastair Cook
2. Phil Hughes
3. Daniel Flynn
4. Jesse Ryder
5. Suresh Raina
6. Dinesh Karthik
7. Shakib Al Hasan
8. Jerome Taylor
9. Ajantha Mendis
10. Pete Siddle
11. Ishant Sharma

Really good attack by current Test standards but it was surprisingly hard to find established Test batsmen. I had to include Raina despite the fact that he hasn't played a Test.. the other options were to include Kapugedera, Butt or Guptill but I'd be surprised if Raina couldn't outdo their Test performances thus far. I struggled to find a keeper as well - it came down to Karthik, Rahim or Ramdin.

How would each Test nation go if they played Under 25 "Tests" right now? I might try and put together a few teams; feel free to have a go yourself.
Replace Ishant & Siddle with Asif & Gul.

Shri

Mr. Glass
India [ODIs]:

1. Murali Vijay - RHB
2. Robin Uthappa [Wk] - RHB
3. Cheteshwar Pujara - RHB
4. Ajinkhya Rahane - RHB
5. Rohit Sharma - RHB/ OS
6. Suresh Raina - LHB
7. Irfan Pathan - LHB / LFM
8. Piyush Chawla - LS
9. Praveen Kumar - RFM
10. Mohnish Parmar - OS
11. Ishant Sharma - RMF

12th man: Manoj Tiwary

Are there better openers available than what I have selected? I get the feeling I have forgotten someone tbph.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Australia

1. Phil Hughes
2. Shaun Marsh
3. Mark Cosgrove
4. Peter Forrest
5. Callum Ferguson
6. Luke Pomersbach
7. Matthew Wade
8. Cullen Bailey
9. Clint McKay
10. Pete Siddle
11. Burt ****ley
Clint McKay is already 25 years of age so too Shaun Marsh.

1 Phil Hughes
2 Tim Paine
3 Mark Cosgrove
4 Callum Ferguson
5 Luke Pomersbach
6 Usman Khawaja
7 Matthew Wade
8 Moises Henriques
9 Cullen Bailey
10 Peter Siddle
11 Burt ****ley

12 James Pattinson

Flem274*

123/5
NZ

1. Martin Guptill
2. Bradley Watling
3. Daniel Flynn
4. Jesse Ryder
5. Kane Williamson
6. Corey Anderson/Harry Boam/Doug Bracewell
7. Mr X
8. Tim Southee
9. Trent Boult
10. Hamish Bennet
11. Neil Wagner

Lots of familliar names there. Half those guys are either in the NZ full team or close to it.

Polo23

International Debutant
NZ:

Martin Guptill
BJ Watling
Daniel Flynn
Jesse Ryder
Kane Williamson
Jeet Raval
Derek De Boorder+
Tim Southee
Trent Boult
Hamish Bennett
Mitchell McClenaghan

Tricky to find bowlers and a keeper! I'd say Williamson is our best up and coming spinner also.