• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Under 25 Age Teams

Flem274*

123/5
NZ:

Martin Guptill
BJ Watling
Daniel Flynn
Jesse Ryder
Kane Williamson
Jeet Raval
Derek De Boorder+
Tim Southee
Trent Boult
Hamish Bennett
Mitchell McClenaghan

Tricky to find bowlers and a keeper! I'd say Williamson is our best up and coming spinner also.
Errr, Bruce Martin, Tarun Nethula, Nick Beard and Robbie Schaw much? I know the last three aren't much, but they have considerably more ability than Williamson as spinners imo.

Is de Boorder under 25?:blink: always thought he was late twenties.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
NZ:

Martin Guptill
BJ Watling
Daniel Flynn
Jesse Ryder
Kane Williamson
Jeet Raval
Derek De Boorder+
Tim Southee
Trent Boult
Hamish Bennett
Mitchell McClenaghan
Jeez that's a long tail. But overall not a bad team to be honest, great top order.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
NZ

1. Martin Guptill
2. Bradley Watling
3. Daniel Flynn
4. Jesse Ryder
5. Kane Williamson
6. Corey Anderson/Harry Boam/Doug Bracewell
7. Mr X
8. Tim Southee
9. Trent Boult
10. Hamish Bennet
11. Neil Wagner

Lots of familliar names there. Half those guys are either in the NZ full team or close to it.
Or in the case of Neil Wagner, not even a New Zealander. :)

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Cook
Denly
Bopara
Patel
Hildreth
Davies
Rashid
Broad
Bresnan
Harris
Woakes

Dawson, Clare, Tom Smith unlucky.

Bats ****in deep it has to be said.

Batting was tricky, Denly went backwards last year, needs to step up again, the likes of Borrington and Godleman might give him competition in the future, Hildreth was poor last year, but gets in through a lack of options but would if the likes of Taylor, Cobb, Redfern keep up their decent starts they might come in to the mix

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa

Khan
Elgar
Rossouw
Vandair
van Jaarsveld
Levi
Vilas
van der Merwe
Pienaar
Parnell
Morne Morkel

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Cook
Denly
Bopara
Patel
Hildreth
Davies
Rashid
Broad
Bresnan
Harris
Woakes

Dawson, Clare, Tom Smith unlucky.

Bats ****in deep it has to be said.

Batting was tricky, Denly went backwards last year, needs to step up again, the likes of Borrington and Godleman might give him competition in the future, Hildreth was poor last year, but gets in through a lack of options but would if the likes of Taylor, Cobb, Redfern keep up their decent starts they might come in to the mix
For batting, Dawid Malan and Eoin Morgan?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As I mentioned didn't include Morgan on princaple in my side.
Main thing i noticed when doing this side was how few had actually played for England and how many all rounders are coming through.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah i guess either would replace Hildreth but I didn't chose them for the same reason as Pothas. They probably will play for England though.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Upul Tharanga
Mahela Udawatte
Gihan Rupasinghe
Angelo Mathews
Chamara Kapugedera
Kaushal Silva (wk)
Farveez Maharoof (c)
Tissara Perera
Isuru Udana
Sachithra Senanayake
Ajantha Mendis

Batting line lacking a bit. But the top six have all averaged above 40 in the last two seasons, since the pitches have changed. Bat pretty deep as well Perera averages in the mid 30s and Udana and Senanayake are more the handy with bat, both capable of being all ronders in Vaas mode. Spin attack as good as any. Pace attack ok, but Perera pretty hit and miss with the ball. Most rate Udana as the next big thing and maybe reckon he will be in the national side by the next WC.

Polo23

International Debutant
Errr, Bruce Martin, Tarun Nethula, Nick Beard and Robbie Schaw much? I know the last three aren't much, but they have considerably more ability than Williamson as spinners imo.

Is de Boorder under 25?:blink: always thought he was late twenties.
Bruce Martin is way too old, hardly an up and comer. Schaw has promise, but as of yet has shown little...a FC average of over 50 doesn't inspire much. Nethula looks good, but again, over 25 so can't get a gig in the team, otherwise he would have...Nick Beard has only played 2 games, and taken 1 wicket plus I havn't seen him play.

I like the look of Williamson as a finger spinner...rips it big. Turn gets good players out.

So, since there are no other candidates anyway, Williamson pretty much had to be the spinner in the team.

@ Jimmy - yeah, long tail. But there really arent that many good young all-rounders going around. It looks as though Anderson has given up the bowling. De Grandhomme I guess was an option, but I really don't rate his bowling.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
@ Jimmy - yeah, long tail. But there really arent that many good young all-rounders going around. It looks as though Anderson has given up the bowling. De Grandhomme I guess was an option, but I really don't rate his bowling.
He's only 22. Got Auckland's young player of the year this year (under 23). First Class bowling average of 29 is pretty respectable, at an economy of 2.8.

Polo23

International Debutant
He's only 22. Got Auckland's young player of the year this year (under 23). First Class bowling average of 29 is pretty respectable, at an economy of 2.8.
I know. He plays for my club.

I guess he could take McClenaghan's spot and be a stock bowler, though that job was going to fall to Ryder (FC bowling average of 27) anyway.