• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Afghanistan Thread - Mk II

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If you are recommending handing out similar level funding to, say 10 teams instead of 6, for the furtherment of the game, sounds good to me. There's enough money to go around.
I probably am, though Id like to see an increase in the money to the elite Associates (Ireland, Kenya) and some way to make these national teams full time pros (so guys like Morgan, RtD dont have to put country second).

I would rather have ICC money (and effort) utilized on building infrastructure in a country like Afghanistan where the scope of survival/progress of cricket is much more than a country like say Canada/USA, which will never be able to recognize cricket as some sort of national sport followed by the mainstream population.
I dont disagree with that either. Afghanistan should get ICC funds to develop a cricketing structure.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it's fair that Afghanistan have replaced Bermuda after their respective tournaments, they performed a lot better. Bermuda have had four years of funding and it doesn't seem like they have made the most of it. Time for someone else to have a chance for a bit.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Im not sure of the wisdom of granting OD status to a nation with no infrastructure, little depth, no prospect of hosting games or a proven history of producing talent.

However, that is by-the-by.

Congrats to them for their achievement. They played some very impressive cricket by the sounds of it. Also, it is an uplifting story. Great that they have made some people smile.

Definately a feel good story.
ODI status means nothing without actual ODIS

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Unlike other associates, I fancy that some sides will be interested in playing and hosting the Afghans.

Just hope for their sake that the guys who will travel to play league cricket in England, do go home and don’t claim political asylum.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Asia Cup will be awesome with the inclusion of Afghanistan. Am I right in thinking that last time Hong Kong played official ODI matches, lol.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Unlike other associates, I fancy that some sides will be interested in playing and hosting the Afghans.

Just hope for their sake that the guys who will travel to play league cricket in England, do go home and don’t claim political asylum.
TBF, in their position, I'd think pretty strongly about claiming political asylum too.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
$ 50 per diem was paid out to all Afghan players. No match fees, no other funds. I wonder what about the coaching staff? Does BCCI do anything for them? Richest cricket body and all?
BCCI barely does anything for their own Ranji sides infrastructure, pitches, and coaching staff.....let them fix that first.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Asia Cup will be awesome with the inclusion of Afghanistan. Am I right in thinking that last time Hong Kong played official ODI matches, lol.
And the Asian Games in Guangdong (Canton) next year will feature cricket (20/20) and the Afghans will surely now participate in that.

Interesting enough the Chinese training camp has already begun in Shenzhen, a full year before the games even start. Scouts are also looking in Chengdu and Shenyang for athletes (track and field, tennis and badminton) who could be converted into cricketers.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
TBF, in their position, I'd think pretty strongly about claiming political asylum too.
It was the first thing which crossed my mind when I heard that some of the players had been granted visas.

Though, apparently one of the Afghan seamers is so good he could get a county deal.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
BCCI barely does anything for their own Ranji sides infrastructure, pitches, and coaching staff.....let them fix that first.
Ranji side management, Domestic pitches and infrastructure etc are responsiblity of local boards. For example PCA (Punjab Cricket Association) is responsible cricketing infrastructure in Punjab and grounds like Mohali. I dont think BCCI has much say in all that.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
It was the first thing which crossed my mind when I heard that some of the players had been granted visas.
Really? I don't think they will, they seem very passionate about playing for their country.

I wonder if they will play any ODI's here. If it was nearby I think I would go and have a look if I could, it would be interesting to see how good they are first-hand.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Im not sure of the wisdom of granting OD status to a nation with no infrastructure, little depth, no prospect of hosting games or a proven history of producing talent.
Afghan have always produced players of high level. It just that this cycle they actually been able to focus on cricket only and not other things. Them and Nepal have always produced the best talented cricketers outside the main four countries in Asia. The depth is also there with the youth they produce.

Bangladesh and Pakistan can't host games, should we scrap them of Test status as well.

Infrastructure is something that is built over time. Not many countries are going to have that even before they got Test status in the past. Sri Lanka's had Test status for 30 years and we still trying to build infrastructure good enough for professional first class competition. All we have now is the basic for International side.

But the big thing is what does ODI status really provide that you don't get from being a Divison Two side. More money that is about it, as both play the a similar number of games. If ODI status meant more then just money and they actually played some games. Then yeah make it run continuously, where teams move up from D1 and D2.

Afghanistan played more matches qualifying for the World Cup then any of the six previous ODI sides played in ODIs over the last four years.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Asia run their own championship (called the ACC Trophy). Hong Kong beat Afghanistan in the semis of the last tournament, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Afghans were denied.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Asia run their own championship (called the ACC Trophy). Hong Kong beat Afghanistan in the semis of the last tournament, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Afghans were denied.
I think they will be included & giving the last spot to the winners of ACC Trophy ignoring the other finalists...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Afghan have always produced players of high level. It just that this cycle they actually been able to focus on cricket only and not other things. Them and Nepal have always produced the best talented cricketers outside the main four countries in Asia. The depth is also there with the youth they produce.

Bangladesh and Pakistan can't host games, should we scrap them of Test status as well.

Infrastructure is something that is built over time. Not many countries are going to have that even before they got Test status in the past. Sri Lanka's had Test status for 30 years and we still trying to build infrastructure good enough for professional first class competition. All we have now is the basic for International side.

But the big thing is what does ODI status really provide that you don't get from being a Divison Two side. More money that is about it, as both play the a similar number of games. If ODI status meant more then just money and they actually played some games. Then yeah make it run continuously, where teams move up from D1 and D2.

Afghanistan played more matches qualifying for the World Cup then any of the six previous ODI sides played in ODIs over the last four years.
Yea, its shocking that Sri Lanka did not have a professional FC competition until last year.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Big match at the moment against Netherlands.

Netherlands currently on 3 runs, no wickets after 3.4 overs.

Also congrats to Afghanistan for winning their first first class match last week!

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Comfortable for the Afghans in the end - given the dutch beat England in the 20/20 what does it all mean?