• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Tikolo to retire

alvarez

First Class Debutant
The end of an excellent career. I remember watching Steve Tikolo cracking a 50 against the Australians in the 96 World Cup when I was still a youngin. There was an elegance in his style of play and a flamboyancy in the Kenyan team in general that made them my '2nd' favourite international team. From the interviews I read he also came across as a very humble man. I hope he remains involved in Kenyan Cricket and heps to strengthen it in the future. Congrats to him on a great career.

EDIT: 50 was not against Australia, was against India.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Terrific player for a long time, but it's probably about the right time for him to go - isn't he in his mid-late-30s by now?

Real shame he never got to play Test cricket, but I guess that's just the way it goes sometimes.

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Terrific player for a long time, but it's probably about the right time for him to go - isn't he in his mid-late-30s by now?

Real shame he never got to play Test cricket, but I guess that's just the way it goes sometimes.
He is 37, pushing 38.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The end of an excellent career. I remember watching Steve Tikolo cracking a 50 against the Australians in the 96 World Cup when I was still a youngin. There was an elegance in his style of play and a flamboyancy in the Kenyan team in general that made them my '2nd' favourite international team. From the interviews I read he also came across as a very humble man. I hope he remains involved in Kenyan Cricket and heps to strengthen it in the future. Congrats to him on a great career.

EDIT: 50 was not against Australia, was against India.
Pretty sure that he got 50-odd against Australia in the 2003 WC.

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Pretty sure that he got 50-odd against Australia in the 2003 WC.
Yeah I think the 50 I was referring to was Maurice Odumbe as it was definitely the 96 WC, as I remember them beating the Windies in the same tournament. Everytime I have seen Tikolo on tv though he has been good to watch.

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
Think he was labelled the Viv Richards of kenya after the 96 wc and certainly played a big part in the 2003 WC with Kenya emerging as unlikely semi-finalists

also reminds me of another seasoned west indian who played for Netherlands in earlier WC - any guesses ?

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
A true giant of the minnow cricketing world. Tikolo has been the source of so much of Kenya's success. Few players throughout history have been such a driving force behind a team’s fortunes.

Terrific batsman, ends with a fantastic record. His off-breaks where more than serviceable. Appeared a smart captain, knew the game well. Respected member of the squad. One of those few players who I have never read a bad article on.

alvarez

First Class Debutant
You'd assume Thomas Odoyo would be the replacement as captain, however Im gonna take a punt and say Kamande will get the job.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Still wants to hang around for two more years but doesn't want to play in the WC. Not sure what the point of that is, just taking someone else's spot.