• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Families Draft

stumpski

International Captain
Too late, changed my mind and decided to go for a standout performer in Sir Richard Hadlee and his dad Walter Hadlee.
I was considering picking Hadlee with his brother Dayle actually, hadn't thought about the old man.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I was considering picking Hadlee with his brother Dayle actually, hadn't thought about the old man.
The old man was better though, I think.

I'm going George Headley and Dean Headley

Ranji
Duleep
Headley
Hadlee
Hadlee
Headley

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Which, I believe, makes it my turn?

Need some bowling so father and son Jeff and Simon Jones - on the basis I get them at their best before their careers were tragically curtailed I reckon that's a class opening pair

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Andy Flower and Grant Flower.

Suprised Andy had lasted this long, in my opinion one of the greatest batsman of the last decade. They way he played spin bowling was A+. Whilst hardly being a great keeper, he will fill the role nicely.

Grant, well he may struggle to make the final XI. Useful cricketer for Zimbabwae, outstanding at first class level. Feel he was capable of achieving more at international level.

My team is still short a couple of real world class batsmen, an allrounder would be nice. My possibilities list is starting to run thin now.

Team so far
Clive Lloyd
Lance Gibbs
Eric Bedser
Alex Bedser
Grant Flower
Andy Flower

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So far:
1 xxxx 2 xxxx 3 George Headley 4 Kumar Shri Ranjitsinhji 5 Kumar Shri Duleepsinhji 6 Walter Hadlee 7 Sir Richard Hadlee 8 xxxx 9 xxxx 10 Dean Headley 11 xxxx .

Noble One

Still some real quality players available. Just the trade off of having a terrible brother/cousin. Interested in seing if people go for Average/Average selections or Star/Dud selections.

stumpski

International Captain
Not that I was going to pick either of them, but it seems incredible that South Africa's latest batting star JP Duminy appears to be no relation to JP Duminy, who played three Tests in the 1920s (and gains extra brownie points for his opposition to Apartheid in later years). Both left-handers too.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is it me? :shy:

Ooops.

Lance & Chris Cairns to bolster my seam attack, please.

1)
2)
3)
4) ME Waugh
5) GSA Sobers
6) SR Waugh*
7) CL Cairns
8) DAJ Holford
9) BL Cairns
10)
11)

archie mac

International Coach
Dudley and Dave Nourse of SA fame:)

Bowlers needed now:ph34r:

GS Chappell
IM Chappell
Majid Khan
Imran Khan[/QUOTE]

stumpski

International Captain
Right it's my turn again I see and I need two more batsmen - I'm going with Denis Compton and his grandson Nick. It was a close call between them and the Huttons though. Nick hasn't quite fulfilled his potential at first-class level and he was in and out of the Middlesex side a bit last year, but he does have a respectable average of 34 and got the nod ahead of Denis's wicket-keeper brother Leslie. As for Denis Compton, well, a legend of the game. I never saw him play obviously but I know some who did and who still speak of him in awed tones.

Squad so far:

Micky Stewart
Hanif Mohammad
Alec Stewart
Denis Compton
Nick Compton
Mushtaq Mohammad

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
Incidentally, has anyone else found it easier to find batsmen than bowlers? Sometimes you get one of each, of course, but it seems that batting talent is more easily transferred across the generations.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Incidentally, has anyone else found it easier to find batsmen than bowlers? Sometimes you get one of each, of course, but it seems that batting talent is more easily transferred across the generations.
Yeah, much.

Even the available bowlers are mostly all-rounders or at worst capable lower-order players too, so think you're onto something.

Noble One

Bowlers, especially pace bowlers are proving to be a challenge for me. Many spin bowlers to choose from, or slow medium pacers. I'm leaning towards using my last (non family) selection on a star bowler.

Your up again stumpski.

stumpski

International Captain
What I find is that when I find one good bowler he brings another, now superfluous, batsman along with him.

So many of the families not used to date - the Cowdreys, Crowes, Pataudis - all batsmen.

Still, a couple of decent quicks are available - the West Indian pairing of Pedro Collins and his half-brother Fidel Edwards. :)

Last edited:

Noble One

What I find is that when I find one good bowler he brings another, now superfluous, batsman along with him.

So many of the families not used to date - the Cowdreys, Crowes, Patudis - all batsmen.

Still, a couple of decent quicks are available - the West Indian pairing of Pedro Collins and his half-brother Fidel Edwards. :)
Wasn't sure if someone would take the Collins/Edwards combo. Funny how they come into consideration in this draft when you would struggle to have them in the 100 greatest bowlers of all time.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So Stumpski, it's your turn again. Also can you please not mention relatives that haven't been selected yet.

stumpski

International Captain
OK, but I'm pretty sure I don't qualify for three consecutive turns.

Took Compton/Compton and Edwards/Collins the last two goes.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is it moi?

Need keeper and openers, but can't resist: Ricky Ponting & his maternal uncle Greg Campbell.

Another seamer at least.

1)
2)
3) RT Ponting
4) ME Waugh
5) GSA Sobers
6) SR Waugh*
7) CL Cairns
8) DAJ Holford
9) BL Cairns
10)
11) GD Campbell

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I think we were supposed to be up before Dale, but it doesn't matter - as we're taking cousins Conrad Hunte and Colin Croft

CC Hunte
GS Chappell
AD Nourse
AW Nourse
IM Chappell
Imran Khan
CEH Croft

Majid Khan