• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So many quality bowlers in one test match

Evermind

International Debutant
It's a miracle it was a draw and all the batsmen came out alive.

Which attack do you think is better? It's so close...there's nothing between them IMO.

Slifer

International Captain
Man for man at the time:

Marshall vs Imran: Marshall
Wasim vs Ambrose: Wasim (at that time)
Bishop vs Waqar : Waqar
Qadir vs Walsh: Walsh

So imo it was a toss up. If we were going career wise then the only matchup that Pakistan would win would be in the case of Bishop vs Waqar

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Really? Pak's got Imran, Wasim, Waqar, and Qadir. Four of their all-time greats.
And Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop were also four of the WIndies all time greats.

In fact Hooper was the second best spinner the WIndies ever produced and he was there too.

EDIT: Still, for the Pakistanis I'd have all four of those in their all time bowling squad with Imran, Wasim and Waqar being walk up starts every game. Qadir potentially dropped on fast bowler wickets for someone like Akhtar.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Man for man at the time:

So imo it was a toss up. If we were going career wise then the only matchup that Pakistan would win would be in the case of Bishop vs Waqar
You can't really do a man for man comparison though. If you do it can be weighted:

Marshall vs Qadir - Marshall
Bishop vs Wasim - Wasim
Ambrose vs Imran - Imran
Walsh vs Waqar - Waqar

Though a couple of these are pushing it, you can see how a man for man matchup becomes quite dependent on who you're matching. More important is how the team works as a unit.

Interestingly it seems that the four great WIndies quicks couldn't dismiss the Pakistani batting lineup (which, to be fair to them, wasn't close to the best team of batsmen ever to play for Pakistan). With Qadir's help the Pakistani attack may have been able to.

So that makes the WIndies attack "better" but the Pakistani attack more balanced.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Man for man at the time:

Id take Bishop and Ambrose over Wasim and Waqar in 1990 but that is personal preference. For that period of time I think it those 4 bowlers are tough to seperate so IMO that is a push.

Then the WI are better in the other 2.

Evermind

International Debutant

Dissector

International Debutant
Yup but the Pak attack is no pushover I would love to see a test match where the combined bowling attacks is better then the one in this test series.
How about this test.

McDermott
McGrath
Warne
Reiffel

Versus

Wasim
Waqar
Saqlain
Mushtaq

Of comparable quality and with much more variety than the 1990 example.

Dissector

International Debutant
I don't know about that. How good was Imran in 1990 as a bowler? I don't think he was bowling much at that time. Quadir was probably past his peak as well.

As for Australia versus West Indies you do have McGrath and Warne who some would argue are slightly better than Marshall and Ambrose and certainly provide more variety.

Overall man for man I think the 90 attack may been slightly better but the 95 attacks are better balanced and would probably work a bit better as attacks.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
How about this test.

McDermott
McGrath
Warne
Reiffel

Versus

Wasim
Waqar
Saqlain
Mushtaq

Of comparable quality and with much more variety than the 1990 example.
Nah. McDermott, Reiffel, Saqlain and Mushy wouldn't get in the 1990 game ahead of any of the bowlers who played in it.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yup but the Pak attack is no pushover I would love to see a test match where the combined bowling attacks is better then the one in this test series.
Yeah, Ill look for a game but Im not sure one exists with a combined 8 better bowlers.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
There were also some great bowlers on display in the 1954/55 Ashes

Tyson
Statham
Bedser
Wardle
Appleyard
Bailey

Lindwall
Davidson
Miller
Johnston (x2)
Benaud

They chopped and changed a bit though, and I'm not sure which match featured the best attacks.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
There were also some great bowlers on display in the 1954/55 Ashes

Tyson
Statham
Bedser
Wardle
Appleyard
Bailey

Lindwall
Davidson
Miller
Johnston (x2)
Benaud
As much as I would have preferred two Bill Johnstons to one Bill Johnston and one Ian Johnson, it sadly wasn't the case... :p