Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you play Cricket with one eye?

Cricket Spectator

Can you play Cricket with one eye?

is it possible to play cricket with one eye,
    is anyone here aware of such individuals whom have played cricket with one eye. just want to how the adapted to play cricket in such circumstances

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Ian Healy managed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

School Boy/Girl Captain kingdamo's Avatar
    It wouldn't take as long to get their 'eye' in?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Ollie Milburn couldn't. But it would depend on what level you aspire to, eye imagine.

If you're looking at top level stuff, then I doubt you could do it, but I'd see no reason why you couldn't play at a lower level. I'd recommend focusing on your dreams, and having a go at it.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

The Nawab of Pataudi junior.
    Also, less successfully, Colin Milburn

Cricket Spectator
    lol no it doesnt take that long to get my eye in, esp when the half the ground dont seem to exist either
    yea I suppose so, I have no problem in bowling, but quite few problems batting,
    I was jus wondering is there special excercise one can do to improve the preception

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I imagine depth perception might be a problem with batting. I'd recommend you ask your optician if he knows anything about it.

To answer your initial question seriously, you'd be foolish to let something like that stop you if you like playing cricket.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightSurfer View Post
    lol no it doesnt take that long to get my eye in, esp when the half the ground dont seem to exist either
    yea I suppose so, I have no problem in bowling, but quite few problems batting,
    I was jus wondering is there special excercise one can do to improve the preception
    Not sure about whether there are exercises available. maybe your opthamologist might be able to help with that.

Seriously mate, if you want to try it, have a go at it. Reckon you'll be fine.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ollie Milburn couldn't. But it would depend on what level you aspire to, eye imagine.

If you're looking at top level stuff, then I doubt you could do it, but I'd see no reason why you couldn't play at a lower level. I'd recommend focusing on your dreams, and having a go at it.
    I see you're a pupil of fine puns Mr Burge - and what a shame it has been such a long time since we saw the things lashing down on CW. Do eye spy some more on the brow of the hill? Don't mind if I lens you a hand TBH.

(And BTW David Fulton played on with no little success after having the sight in his right eye permanently damaged. Though he tended to become something of an all-or-nothing merchant thereafter, hinting that maybe he struggled to, well... get his eye in, even though he was the same fine player after he had done so)
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Am good mates with a bloke from my local club, who lost his eye in a car accident. He was an reasonably right hand batsman, and lost his left eye. Supposedly that had a far greater effect that those who lose their "back" eye when facing the bowler. He still was a reasonable bowler, but was a pretty big liability with the bat, against balls with any speed at all. Slog the odd couple, and that was about it.

School Boy/Girl Captain Joe Ninety's Avatar
    You could also ask some of your peers about it too. But seriously I'd imagine that fielding, especially catching, would be intensely hard.
    Last edited by Joe Ninety; 15-04-2009 at 11:17 PM.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    I know someone who played club cricket who had all but lost the sight in one eye. He was playing at quite a bit lower level than he had been, but he seemed to be enjoying it and he was holding his own fine.

Pinball Champion!
    I know Peter Roebuck has woken up with a red eye on a few occasions and he played to quite a high standard

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    It is very tough.

When I was playing grade cricket, Pataudi was the Indian captain so naturally we wondered how difficult it must have been for him. So we decided one day to try it out at the nets. Five of us came early to the nets and put a patch on the right eye and tried to bat. It was not easy. The easiest was playing the faster bowlers who we played everyday and when they bowled half volleys and we could guess (rather than make out) when the ball was arriving. But to spinners and medium pacers, good length deliveries and balls which were slower or faster than we guessed, it was not possible to guess how far the ball was. You almost always ended up playing too early or too late.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Eye did my final year project using a stereovision camera for measuring distance and therefore size/area. Bit of background: There are taken two images are they are then placed onto one another. Closer objects will have a larger disparity between their relative positions in the images, so using geometry and info on the lens we calculate distance. Points at infinity disparity = 0 (distant background dependent on our ability to differentiate between pixels).

So I assume it's similar for the human eyes when batting, your at a disadvantage because using one eye you have to analyse the scene using memory and previous experience of the bowler (which is likely to fail you occasionally) to judge how far away the ball is and it's velocity. Subtle changes of pace would thus throw your timing out, as SJS's experience perhaps suggests.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information