Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breakthrough Player of the 2009 English County Season

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Think he played aganist him.
    Oh of course, U19 cricket - silly me.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Thought I would bring this thread up as the season is now coming to and end, reading back through it is interesting to see that there was no mention of James Taylor who must be counted as the most significant player to come breakthrough in a big way this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Will be looking at a number of players for Hampshire this year, Dawson is an obvious one but I think we could see some good stuff from Hamza Riazuddin, especially in the one day game. He seems to be very economical and can bat as well.

Then there is the players who might finally do something worth while, chief amoung these are Lumb and Ervine, both look really good when they are playing well but are more infuriating than Ian Bell. Am waiting for one of them to actually have a good season but it's probably not going to happen.
    Difficult season for Dawson, especially with the ball and he seems to be becomimg more and more a batsman who bowls a bit, Riazuddin had a decent Twenty20 campaign and him captaining the England under 19's was encouraging. This season also saw the emergence of Vince who I am very hopefull for despite struggiling in the championship a bit of late.

As for Ervine and Lumb both put in better performances, 3 centuries represents Ervine's best season yet and Lumb has been excellent again in limited overs but once again frustrating in the championship, his stats being saved by the one massive score.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by SM* View Post
    Jeetan Patel.

Excellent off-spinner, gets massive drift, and is a capeable tail ender.

Shrewd signing for Warwickshire
    Athlai multi surely?
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Quote Originally Posted by King Pietersen View Post
    Surrey have a good young bowling attack, that could shine this season. Jordan, Dernbach and Stuart Meaker are all pacey and wicket takers. Meaker's been timed at 95mph at the England National Academy and had a decent start to his FC career, outbowling Shoaib in a CC game. If Meaker does bowl at over 90 clicks you know he won't be given time to settle into FC cricket and work his game out, he'll be straight on that plane to South Africa.
    Oh dear.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    1. Matt Machan
    Still never heard of him.
    2. Ben Brown
    Was he ever likely to play much? Is Hodd more accident-prone normally than he was this year?
    3. Rory Hamilton-Brown
    Done the few little bits he's been given OK-ish.
    Stuart Meaker
    Sod-all of note from him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Daniel Redfern
    Very poor year for him.
    I wonder if Stuart Broad will ever make his county breakthrough too TBH.
    Still waiting, but at least he made a Test breakthrough at The Oval instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Id like to see Finn progress.
    Still the same old wayward Finn.
    I have my fingers crossed that Mark Lawson can produce at Derby out of the shadow of Rashid.
    Nope, and surely Lawson must give-up the ghost before long, never rated him one iyota.
    Im interested to see if Jonathan Bairstow will get any FC opportunities.
    Yup, and not merely take them but be Yorkshire's best batsman. With the other wicketkeeper Brophy second...
    Quote Originally Posted by oitoitoi View Post
    If Sam Northeast get's some chances he struck me as a good young player.
    Yup, has had a few - but I never thought he was an opener. If that's a change rather than him being shoved into the only hole available with Denly regularly elsewhere it's a recent one; if he's always been an opener I'm inobservant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Will be looking at a number of players for Hampshire this year, Dawson is an obvious one but I think we could see some good stuff from Hamza Riazuddin, especially in the one day game. He seems to be very economical and can bat as well.
    Hasn't really played much has he? David Griffiths and David Balcombe both on the field instead, for some very strange reason. Think some kid called Tom Parsons played ahead of him once too, though maybe wrong - they may have both featured in said game.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    One i'd like to see finally make the breakthrough is a name thats been around for many a year now. Kyle Hogg.
    Yup, seems he might finally have hit some sort of first-team place. Never going to tear-up trees, not in the longer game, but has had a good solid year.
    Quote Originally Posted by brockley View Post
    Sam robson
    Obviously that post was only made because Robson is Australian, but he's done pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post
    Outside of Lancs, apart from those already mentions, the players i'm looking out for are Joshua Cobb(Leicestershire) and Jaik Mickelborough(essex). Will also be interesting to see how Jonathan Clare backs up from last season.
    Cobb and Mickleburgh both had hugely disappointing years after being given a decent chance to back-up their hugely promising bit-part first seasons. Clare been diabolical, as I was expecting TBH.
    Quote Originally Posted by oitoitoi View Post
    Anyone heard of a bloke called Paul Muchall (Gordon's younger brother)?
    Nope, and still haven't TBH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo View Post
    I'm hoping Northeast gets a few chances, would like to see Godleman have a big year as well. Liam Dawson was another who impressed me last year.
    Dawson's done not-much; Godleman's done so badly he's been released; Northeast as above has had a few chances but as an opener.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    First dibs on Chris Woakes before the bandwagon takes him. Quality nut to pin Langer today with the second new ball: 22-4-80-3 is a top return on the M5 at Taunton, too.
    Woakes had a mostly shocking 2nd year, though a couple of decent performances picked things up at the end.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Haha, "Matt Machan" probably the worst call of the entire thread. I think Hamilton-Brown's had a bit of a breakthrough year - hasn't been stunningly consistent but has showed he has the potential to maybe make the step up in a few years' time. Next year will be a key season from him.

Godleman's demise is a bit puzzling. He really did look the part in the (admittedly short) footage I've seen of him. I hope he can find another county. Any of the Division 2 dregs would do well to pick him up IMO.

Northeast hasn't had many chances but has produced some solid scores when he has. More importantly for us he showed his class by looking a cut above anything else England or Bangladesh could improve at his age group.

No mention of James Taylor here either.

Taylor's pretty much done this season what Cobb was hoped to do.

Both still have oodles of time ahead though. As does Godleman. It's a bit of a shame he's been forced-out of his own county by all the South Africans and Australians.

@ Rich: Woakes started the season not too badly did he not?

edit: to any hardcore followers of County Cricket, where does Taylor bat for Leicestershire in OD cricket?
    Last edited by Furball; 24-09-2009 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo View Post
    Haha, "Matt Machan" probably the worst call of the entire thread.
    Cheers for that, JJ

But you're right, the only explanation I can offer is that Machan failed to capitalise on the massive confidence boost that me tipping him must surely have given him. He's still highly regarded at Sussex btw, so watch this space

Sussex's breakthrough player turned out to be Chris Nash, with a County Championship season of 1,228 runs @ 58.47

As an opener too.
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    @ Rich: Woakes started the season not too badly did he not?
    Nah, took a massive haul for England A (cleaning-out WI's top-order before Plunkett got gifted the tailenders) very early but didn't do a thing for Warks until about August - averaged in the 50s or so. Like every other bowler at the county, I should add, including Boyd Rankin, who's taken a small turn for the better at the same time as Woakes.

Most of Warks' bowlers are absolutely diabolical (Carter, Anyon, Miller etc.) but despite that they had Steffan Piolet who took 10-43 - against students, yes, but even so that's quite some performance - in the season's opener but never played again! Mirrors their last season where they just kept picking these utter rubbish bowlers and they kept getting nothing figures.

Piolet - Sussex reject and unfit to lace Machan's boots, ftr

I see. Begs the question of why Warks haven't signed him instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I see. Begs the question of why Warks haven't signed him instead.
    They obviously lack my infallible powers of foresight and judgment

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Cheers for that, JJ

But you're right, the only explanation I can offer is that Machan failed to capitalise on the massive confidence boost that me tipping him must surely have given him. He's still highly regarded at Sussex btw, so watch this space
    I'll take your word for it . Sorry to be cruel about Machan, but I thought his name had to go in inverted commas... he was the only player in this thread that I've still never heard of.

Piolet looked distinctively average for Warks in OD cricket. And that's compared to the rest of the Warks attack.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information