Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Ireland For Test Status?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • With?

35 48.61%
  • Against?

37 51.39%
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland For Test Status?

Ireland For Test Status?

With Ireland struggling to save its players from joining full members & many talented youngsters coming up but don't have anywhere to go later, dominating the Associate world quite consistently, increasing fan base & profile, do u think Ireland deserves a Test Status?

My Openion: Big Yes, cause with their full strength they look as or may be more tougher team than Bangladesh & Zimbabwe. With the funding they get they could imp their facilities & standerd in no time. Talking about getting thrashed? Who won't after playing decades of cricket dosn't West Indies get thrashed by Aus or Aus by SAf? My be couple of years in the biggining but there could be real interesting Tests between Zim, Ire & Ban. With 2 Test teams in the region, things could also pace up in The Netherlands & Scotland. This could also increase hope & fight among other Associates for gaing Test Status! The ICC has to start thinking ASAP before Ireland becomes another missed fish like Kenya!
    Last edited by laksh_01; 12-04-2009 at 01:34 AM.
    Friends, I've started a group for all the WCL fans on facebook. So, who ever is interested pls join... Search "Non-Test Cricket Playing Nations!" in facebook. Thanks...

Cricket Is The Best Sport On Earth, It Deserves More Respect, More Partispating Nations & More Fans. Lets Do Our Best To Spread The Game, Friends.

<<<<<LAKSH>>>>>

Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    I agree woth everything you have said, good points and I say yes.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson, MJ Santner and IS Sodhi, TL Seifert and ZN Gibson

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    I don't think BD and the current Zim team should be the standards by which we judge new test nations. Ireland has a tiny population so it doesn't have much potential for growth. If Ireland becomes a test team, teams like Australia and India will be forced to be play tests against them which is a waste of time which will mean fewers tests between strong teams.

Another possibility which I would like is for the current minnows to be combined into a ROW team which would play official test matches. ROW would include players from Ireland, Netherlands etc. as well as BD and Zim. It would be a pretty competitive team and would help promote cricket around the world without producing farcically one-sided games.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Realistically, no. They're not good enough to deserve test status.

If Bangladesh have it though, i see no reason why Ireland shouldn't. They couldn't exactly possibly do any worse.

International Debutant Evermind's Avatar
    Not only should Ireland not get test status but Zimbabwe and Bangladesh should be stripped of theirs.

These countries should start beating the top 8 CONSISTENTLY in ODIs before they're considered for test status. None of them have shown the slightest potential to challenge the top 8.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Evermind View Post
    Not only should Ireland not get test status but Zimbabwe and Bangladesh should be stripped of theirs.

These countries should start beating the top 8 CONSISTENTLY in ODIs before they're considered for test status. None of them have shown the slightest potential to challenge the top 8.
    Agreed.

They should form a 4 day test league below the test level. Should consist of teams such as Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Ireland, Scotland, maybe even Afghanistan soon. They should also be encouraged to play as many games against first class sides in the test nations as possible. I mean have Bangladesh won a test match yet? They haven't really progressed much since getting test status and are nowhere near the proper test sides. Unfortunately the BCCI needs their vote at the ICC so Bangladesh are probably here to stay...

Quote Originally Posted by Evermind View Post

I agree wholly. Haven't we watered down the standard of ODI and Test cricket enough already (especially ODI cricket)?

I'd like the ECB to create an FC entity in Ireland and let them play in the county championship first. Aside from county members would anyone honestly miss one of the east midlands Kolpak counties?

Think our continued poaching of Ireland's best players something of a disgrace too, tbh.

EDIT: Don't know what to vote. I'm "with" Ireland, but don't think they're ready as of now.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

I do not think the ICC's policy of handing test teams to one nation at atime and then berating them for being out of their depth early makes any sense at all.

i abstain from the poll.
    LEARN SOMETHING NEW ABOUT AFRICA TODAY

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Anyway Trump is starting World War III to stop Liverpool winning the league.

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Its all well and good saying minnows should beat top 8 teams consistently, but when do they ever play them?

If England gave back their Irish players they'd have a half test class team, but they'd have half a team which isn't test class
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Why not just merge them into the ECB?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Why not just merge them into the ECB?
    Because Ireland is awhole different counrty, and it would be spitting on the graves of those who died to make it so.

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Ireland do not deserve test status. To be included as the next test nation would only further destroy our wonderful game.

Ireland have indeed moved in a positive direction over the previous 5 to 6 years. A fantastic 2008 World Cup, dominating all levels of Associate nations. They have definitely been one of the good news stories to come out of cricket in recent times.

But let's place things into perspective for Ireland. They have limited scope for improvement, let alone becoming anything beyond a minnow test nation.
    - Ireland has only begun to dominate Associate level this decade, where have they been the previous 30 years?
    - The young cricketers currently being produced are no more than county average standard.
    - World Cup success was built largely on the performances of cricketers who could not cut it in their native country (Bray, Botha)
    - Is their really a passionate level of following for Irish cricket? At least in Bangladesh every kid aspires to someday play for the national side.

Then to look at the big picture. Will an extra test nation add anything to the current structure we have in place? As an Australian fan I would be disappointed that the next South African series is postponed an extra year to allow for Ireland to tour.

What is with the obsession to expand the game? Test cricket is filled with dull fixtures and meaningless average inflating series. Keep the current system we have in place, I hope Ireland finds its place dominating Associate nations, Bangladesh can join them too.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    If England gave back their Irish players they'd have a half test class team, but they'd have half a team which isn't test class
    A bit like us then.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Its all well and good saying minnows should beat top 8 teams consistently, but when do they ever play them?

There aren't any Irish players in the England side IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information