• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ireland For Test Status?

Ireland For Test Status?

• Total voters

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
With Ireland struggling to save its players from joining full members & many talented youngsters coming up but don't have anywhere to go later, dominating the Associate world quite consistently, increasing fan base & profile, do u think Ireland deserves a Test Status?

My Openion: Big Yes, cause with their full strength they look as or may be more tougher team than Bangladesh & Zimbabwe. With the funding they get they could imp their facilities & standerd in no time. Talking about getting thrashed? Who won't after playing decades of cricket dosn't West Indies get thrashed by Aus or Aus by SAf? My be couple of years in the biggining but there could be real interesting Tests between Zim, Ire & Ban. With 2 Test teams in the region, things could also pace up in The Netherlands & Scotland. This could also increase hope & fight among other Associates for gaing Test Status! The ICC has to start thinking ASAP before Ireland becomes another missed fish like Kenya!:@

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
I don't think BD and the current Zim team should be the standards by which we judge new test nations. Ireland has a tiny population so it doesn't have much potential for growth. If Ireland becomes a test team, teams like Australia and India will be forced to be play tests against them which is a waste of time which will mean fewers tests between strong teams.

Another possibility which I would like is for the current minnows to be combined into a ROW team which would play official test matches. ROW would include players from Ireland, Netherlands etc. as well as BD and Zim. It would be a pretty competitive team and would help promote cricket around the world without producing farcically one-sided games.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Realistically, no. They're not good enough to deserve test status.

If Bangladesh have it though, i see no reason why Ireland shouldn't. They couldn't exactly possibly do any worse.

Evermind

International Debutant
Not only should Ireland not get test status but Zimbabwe and Bangladesh should be stripped of theirs.

These countries should start beating the top 8 CONSISTENTLY in ODIs before they're considered for test status. None of them have shown the slightest potential to challenge the top 8.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Not only should Ireland not get test status but Zimbabwe and Bangladesh should be stripped of theirs.

These countries should start beating the top 8 CONSISTENTLY in ODIs before they're considered for test status. None of them have shown the slightest potential to challenge the top 8.
Agreed.

They should form a 4 day test league below the test level. Should consist of teams such as Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Ireland, Scotland, maybe even Afghanistan soon. They should also be encouraged to play as many games against first class sides in the test nations as possible. I mean have Bangladesh won a test match yet? They haven't really progressed much since getting test status and are nowhere near the proper test sides. Unfortunately the BCCI needs their vote at the ICC so Bangladesh are probably here to stay...

DaRick

State Vice-Captain

I agree wholly. Haven't we watered down the standard of ODI and Test cricket enough already (especially ODI cricket)?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd like the ECB to create an FC entity in Ireland and let them play in the county championship first. Aside from county members would anyone honestly miss one of the east midlands Kolpak counties?

Think our continued poaching of Ireland's best players something of a disgrace too, tbh.

EDIT: Don't know what to vote. I'm "with" Ireland, but don't think they're ready as of now.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I do not think the ICC's policy of handing test teams to one nation at atime and then berating them for being out of their depth early makes any sense at all.

i abstain from the poll.

Flem274*

123/5
Its all well and good saying minnows should beat top 8 teams consistently, but when do they ever play them?

If England gave back their Irish players they'd have a half test class team, but they'd have half a team which isn't test class

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Ireland do not deserve test status. To be included as the next test nation would only further destroy our wonderful game.

Ireland have indeed moved in a positive direction over the previous 5 to 6 years. A fantastic 2008 World Cup, dominating all levels of Associate nations. They have definitely been one of the good news stories to come out of cricket in recent times.

But let's place things into perspective for Ireland. They have limited scope for improvement, let alone becoming anything beyond a minnow test nation.
- Ireland has only begun to dominate Associate level this decade, where have they been the previous 30 years?
- The young cricketers currently being produced are no more than county average standard.
- World Cup success was built largely on the performances of cricketers who could not cut it in their native country (Bray, Botha)
- Is their really a passionate level of following for Irish cricket? At least in Bangladesh every kid aspires to someday play for the national side.

Then to look at the big picture. Will an extra test nation add anything to the current structure we have in place? As an Australian fan I would be disappointed that the next South African series is postponed an extra year to allow for Ireland to tour.

What is with the obsession to expand the game? Test cricket is filled with dull fixtures and meaningless average inflating series. Keep the current system we have in place, I hope Ireland finds its place dominating Associate nations, Bangladesh can join them too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Its all well and good saying minnows should beat top 8 teams consistently, but when do they ever play them?

If England gave back their Irish players they'd have a half test class team, but they'd have half a team which isn't test class
There aren't any Irish players in the England side IIRC

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why not just merge them into the ECB?
Because Ireland is awhole different counrty, and it would be spitting on the graves of those who died to make it so.
Jamaica and Barbados are whole different countries too, doesn't stop them playing together. You can have a united cricket team from two (or more) different countries, it's absolutely no insult to those who fought for Ireland's political independence.

What would be most ideal is if England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland (ROI and NI) played cricket together under one banner. And indeed this happened for most of cricket history, until recently when ICC decided they wanted to try to create the illusion of expansion by having "new" members like Ireland and Scotland.

Sadly, our esteemed Irish posters on here seem to think this is unlikely to impossible, as many Irishmen would not be as interested in playing cricket alongside Englishmen as they would for a team drawn purely from Irish and representing exclusively the banner of Ireland.

Either way, Ireland should not be a Test-playing team, same way Kenya should never have been, same way Bangladesh should never have been and still shouldn't.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Jamaica and Barbados are whole different countries too, doesn't stop them playing together. You can have a united cricket team from two (or more) different countries, it's absolutely no insult to those who fought for Ireland's political independence.
true but bothe have a history of getting indipendence from the Uk and and have that coomn bond with one another whereas Ireland is a former british colony, would be silly to suggest that they walk back for the sake of a few extra 5 day FC matches

What would be most ideal is if England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland (ROI and NI) played cricket together under one banner. And indeed this happened for most of cricket history, until recently when ICC decided they wanted to try to create the illusion of expansion by having "new" members like Ireland and Scotland.
Makes sense for Wales and Scotland, and Northern Ireland as then we could have a cricket team for the United Kingddom, but as I earlier stated, Ireland are not in the UK and would not qualify anyway ajnd thus should not be arm twisted to join in. Maybe we could extend it to Football meaning it would end the UK's having more teams at the WC than the whole of Africa, or rugby which would effectively turn the 6 Nations into the 4 nations e. UK, Ireland (minus NorthernIireland), France, Italy

Sadly, our esteemed Irish posters on here seem to think this is unlikely to impossible, as many Irishmen would not be as interested in playing cricket alongside Englishmen as they would for a team drawn purely from Irish and representing exclusively the banner of Ireland.
Try reversing the subject and object of that sentence in bold and see if you would stand for it

Either way, Ireland should not be a Test-playing team, same way Kenya should never have been, same way Bangladesh should never have been and still shouldn't.
true but nobodyb is remedying the situation, they just stand back and watch Bangladesh, on the one hand meander from defeat to defeat to far better prepared sides, and allow the likes of Kenya, Ireland etc to meander around on a system that miliotates against them developing beyond a certain point.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
true but bothe have a history of getting indipendence from the Uk and and have that coomn bond with one another whereas Ireland is a former british colony, would be silly to suggest that they walk back for the sake of a few extra 5 day FC matches
No-one is suggesting they walk back. You're getting too involved in the political side. Playing cricket with someone does not mean you're forging a national identity with them. Playing cricket should, ideally, be completely independent of nationalistic identity.
Makes sense for Wales and Scotland, and Northern Ireland as then we could have a cricket team for the United Kingddom, but as I earlier stated, Ireland are not in the UK and would not qualify anyway ajnd thus should not be arm twisted to join in.
I'm not suggesting anyone arm-twist anyone, I'm suggesting... well I'm not actually suggesting anything at all, because I know it's unworkable... but I'm saying the ideal thing would be a reciprocal arrangement whereby both parties agree to work together as equals. I don't care whether ROI are part of the UK or not - I'm not suggesting a cricket team based on national lines, I'm suggesting one based on geographic lines, same way West Indies are. The British (and Irish) Isles would be the ideal outcome, not the UK, not England (or England-and-Wales).
Maybe we could extend it to Football meaning it would end the UK's having more teams at the WC than the whole of Africa, or rugby which would effectively turn the 6 Nations into the 4 nations e. UK, Ireland (minus NorthernIireland), France, Italy
Cricket is not other sports. It's pointless making analogies with them, especially in this case.
Try reversing the subject and object of that sentence in bold and see if you would stand for it
I'm British, I'm European, and I'm inclusivist. I'm not a good person to ask about nationalistic "pride", I see it as a cancer which drags down... well, quite a lot really.

If Englishmen and Irishmen (and Scotsmen, and Welshmen - and remember, I'm Welsh myself) playing cricket alongside each other is the best formula for success for all, then that's the solution I'd implement. And I'd not let nationalism get in the way.

Sadly, not all share my POV.
true but nobodyb is remedying the situation, they just stand back and watch Bangladesh, on the one hand meander from defeat to defeat to far better prepared sides, and allow the likes of Kenya, Ireland etc to meander around on a system that miliotates against them developing beyond a certain point.
ICC are very poor at making good decisions for cricket, we know this. The biggest reason for the retention of Bangladesh (and Zimbabwe) is that the BCCI want their vote. This is known beyond all doubt. And to most people at the BCCI, the ability to control the ICC board is more important than the integrity of international cricket.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
There aren't any Irish players in the England side IIRC
True, but by pledging their troth to England guys like Joyce & Morgan make themesleves unavailable once they apppear for us in a test or limited overs game.

I really don't think that would be the case. Joyce, Morgan & Niall O'Brien seem pretty keen on playing for England. Equally there's never been a problem when Irishman line up alongside Englishmen (& Scots and Welshmen) for the British & Irish Lions.

Makes sense for Wales and Scotland, and Northern Ireland as then we could have a cricket team for the United Kingddom, but as I earlier stated, Ireland are not in the UK and would not qualify anyway ajnd thus should not be arm twisted to join in. Maybe we could extend it to Football meaning it would end the UK's having more teams at the WC than the whole of Africa, or rugby which would effectively turn the 6 Nations into the 4 nations e. UK, Ireland (minus NorthernIireland), France, Italy
I don't necessarily think it'd be a huge issue for players from the Republic to play with British players. Happens unproblematically with the British & Irish Lions, as I alluded to above.

Not that I think it should happen, because the precedent in team sports like football and union is for the home nations to play separately. If Ireland want to play as Ireland good luck to them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really don't think that would be the case. Joyce, Morgan & Niall O'Brien seem pretty keen on playing for England. Equally there's never been a problem when Irishman line up alongside Englishmen (& Scots and Welshmen) for the British & Irish Lions.
That thought has crossed my mind, but I don't like to argue with those on the ground in NI and ROI who are more familiar with mass attitudes than I am.