• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Tendulkar get 100 international hundreds?

Dissector

International Debutant
5 years back it looked highly likely. A year and a half back it looked highly unlikely. Right now it's looking possible but difficult. It would be an awesome achievement and given the uncertain future of test cricket he would perhaps be the only one to achieve it.

As of now Tendulkar has 42 test hundreds and 43 ODI hundreds so he needs 15 more. It would also be nice if could manage 50 in both forms of the game.

Tendulkar has two perhaps three years of play left in him. He is in great form and appears quite fit. So it's perfectly possible if remains injury-free and has a decent conversion rate of 50's into 100's; something that has been a bit of problem of late. I think the World Cup helps; it gives him a huge incentive to keep playing ODI's which he might have otherwise been tempted to retire from. He might also be able to take advantage of a few minnow games as well.

Does anyone know what India's calendar till the end of 2011 looks like? How many tests and roughly how many ODI's. That would give us a basis to calculate his chances.

martin88

Banned
5 years back it looked highly likely. A year and a half back it looked highly unlikely. Right now it's looking possible but difficult. It would be an awesome achievement and given the uncertain future of test cricket he would perhaps be the only one to achieve it.

As of now Tendulkar has 42 test hundreds and 43 ODI hundreds so he needs 15 more. It would also be nice if could manage 50 in both forms of the game.

Tendulkar has two perhaps three years of play left in him. He is in great form and appears quite fit. So it's perfectly possible if remains injury-free and has a decent conversion rate of 50's into 100's; something that has been a bit of problem of late. I think the World Cup helps; it gives him a huge incentive to keep playing ODI's which he might have otherwise been tempted to retire from. He might also be able to take advantage of a few minnow games as well.

Does anyone know what India's calendar till the end of 2011 looks like? How many tests and roughly how many ODI's. That would give us a basis to calculate his chances.
ODIs perhaps, Tests no chance. Might end up in the nervous nineties overall. Like the average of another master, Sir Don.

Dissector

International Debutant
Tendulkar has hit 6 hundreds in the last one and a half years of test cricket. He is perfectly capable of hitting 8 hundreds in two years of heavy test cricket so even factoring the next six months without tests it is possible. Difficult but possible.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Possible? Yea. WIll it happen? No. If he plays one more year post WC 2011, its more likely but I don't think he will. Unless he is really aiming for that record.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I don't think he's retiring in 2011 simply because the WC happens to be held that year. If he thinks he has it in him to contribute good runs, he'll carry on regardless.

Dissector

International Debutant
I think there is quite a good chance that Tendulkar will continue playing tests for a year or so after the world cup. Isn't there a tour to Australia in 2011? That would be a huge incentive. And the record will be an incentive in itself. If he has,say 47 hundreds after the WC you can bet he will tempted to continue for a couple of test series and get to 50.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't think he's retiring in 2011 simply because the WC happens to be held that year. If he thinks he has it in him to contribute good runs, he'll carry on regardless.
Maybe, but playing a WC in the subcontinent and retiring at home is a big deal. He has mentioned in the past how much he is looking forward to that. Obviously it's form dependent, but his elbow isn't in pristine shape and he'll be 37 around that time.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
TBH I think he could quite easily play till 40, in which case not getting 100 tons would be a dissapointment. However I think Tendulkar envisages lifting the world cup in Mumbai to be the perfect end (the WC finals are in Mumbai) to his career. It will be very interesting if India don't make it that far what will happen. I hope he does a Jack Hobbs and just keeps on playing. India don't play much test cricket over the next year though do they? In fact I have no idea when India's next test is.

Evermind

International Debutant
For the Indian fans here:

WC 2011 win

or

Test series in Australia win? Which would you choose?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Test series win in Australia would be nice, but I'll take a WC win over that, especially since its at home.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Test series in Australia without a doubt, should have had it last time...Sydney...Symonds...Bucknor....argggh....

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
In 2007 he had 20 consecutive ODI innings of
  1. 99
  2. 93
  3. 8
  4. 17
  5. 99
  6. 8
  7. 55
  8. 71
  9. 94
  10. 30
  11. 0
  12. 16
  13. 43
  14. 79
  15. 47
  16. 72
  17. 21
  18. 4
  19. 99
  20. 29
  21. 97

in a matter of just fiur and a half months !! Six 90's and another three scores above 70 in 20 innings. He missed a fantastic opportunity to go into the 90's (of centuries) there. He has had another score in the 90's in Odi's since then (in Australia last year). He may find it difficult since he clearly has it in his mind. He had 8 90's in his first 385 odi games and has had 7 in his last 40 !

Dissector

International Debutant
Yes he really missed out on ODI hundreds in 2007 and he had three 80+ test scores that year as well. He will probably be disappointed that he couldn't get a second test hundred against NZ after getting three good starts. But looking at the last couple of years there are reasonable grounds for hope. From Jan 2007 to today is roughly the amount of time he will likely have left. In that period he scored 8 test hundreds which is exactly what he needs. He only scored 3 ODI hundreds but if he converted just 4 of his 7 90's he would have gotten 7 which is what he needs to get. So based on current form it's entirely reasonable to think he could do it.
Correction: he has scored only 7 test hundreds since 2007; still the general point remains.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
True, but I don't think India play that many Tests over the next two years. Certainly not as many as they did over the past two.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
3 Tests vs. SL in November 09, then 3 Tests vs. SA in February 2010 - so only six Tests in the next 12 months. After that, NZ visits in November, followed by a visit to South Africa in December. Tnen it's the World Cup in February 2011. So as of right now, he only has 12 Tests between now and the World Cup.

There are tours to/from Zimbabwe during that time, but no doubt they will be replaced by some random ODI engagements.

Dissector

International Debutant
12 tests is almost certainly not going to be enough so it depends on whether he wants to continue playing tests after the WC. Do you know what the schedule is after the WC. IIRC the Australia tour is in 2011/12 so that could be an incentive for him to continue. I wonder if there is any possibility of a Pakistan series at a neutral venue before the WC. That could be good for a couple of hundreds.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Last time he was in Australia he sort of hinted that this may not be his last trip, he seemed surprised at the ovations he was getting everywhere he went and said they all thought it was his last tour.