• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do u You think after the controversial Decision given to Tendulkar the umpire panel should be looked

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Do u You think after the controversial Decision given to Tendulkar the umpire panel should be looked

Tendulkar got out to a very bad decision and The sri lankan umpire is in the umpiring panel

Now that when an umpire is put into the umpiring panel that usually means that hes pretty good ,

Do you think the umpiring panel should be rethought ?

Do u you think that the umpiring panel should be composed of a top umpire representating all countries ?

Do u think that for most decisions a 3rd umpire should be called out to?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What was the decision?

Was it any worse than the England LBW's to balls pitching 6 inches outside leg stump or Flintoff's caught behind that he missed by 6 inches or the not out against Harris that squared the series or, going slightly further back, the Hussain classic double last year, out LBW after hitting in one innings and caught after missing it i the other?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was it any worse than the England LBW's to balls pitching 6 inches outside leg stump or Flintoff's caught behind that he missed by 6 inches or the not out against Harris that squared the series or, going slightly further back, the Hussain classic double last year, out LBW after hitting in one innings and caught after missing it i the other?
Ah come off it, mate! Don't you know that if a decision goes against Lord Sachin, it was OBVIOUSLY a bad decision yet against everyone else it's just 'the way the game goes'?

Funnily enough, the only guy who doesn't complain about the harsh decisons he DOES get is the man himself. I have a tremendous respect for Sachin because he seems to see that sometimes you get the decisions for you, sometimes not but either way, that's the way it works for all others.

Well I respect him for that aside from his rather obvious batting talent! :D

EVERYONE has a bum decision go against them from time to time. I mean you could go back to when the game first began and find millions of wrong decisis. It really IS just the way the game goes. It happens to all teams, even Australia.

First Test in India in 1998 there were some atrocious decisions; Greg Blewett's run of bad decisions against him in England in 1997; bad decisions in Sri Lanka in Australia's series loss a couple of years back.

It happens to everyone and it doesn't matter how good you are, it WILL happen. Maybe Sachin supporters could learn a little from the good grace he himself shows in the face of bad decisions.

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
It all evens out.

Some Australian's in this latest series got some shockers, but Langer got very lucky.

A missed edge here and there or a imaginary edge should not have a huge bearing on the game. A truely great team wins easily even if the umpiring has been against them.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Well I heard once that when Debbie Hockley got a shocker her team mates were telling her how bad it was and all, and she just said that it was her fault for missing the ball!

But it is pretty shocking, do they get eye tests?
Another few points
1. Billy Bowden should be on the panel
2. Billy Bowden should be on the panel
3. Billy Bowden should be on the panel

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Yea i always wondered why didnt billy get a chance !

what about the 3rd umpire decision on the last day , that was pretty shocking

yea i knw we shouldnt be crying just for now but for all the other mediocre decisions given against all good players

Kimbo

International Debutant
I know they had to pick the best umps but here in NZ nobody was picked, which is pretty sad for umpires here. How can you ever get a chance, it seems that the panel strips anyone a chance to really prove themselves.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
im sure N.Z havent done anything wrong so far ...

so im still wondering how come each country didnt get a chance

even zim has an ump!!

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
I'm sure you all know who I think should be on the Panel. I'm still shaking my head in disbeilef that Harper got in instead of Taufel.

The only reason I can come up with is that at age 31, the ICC thought that Taufel was too young and gave it to Harper by default as there are a few countries that didn't want Darryl Hair there! There is no way known that Darryl Harper is Austraila's best ump!!

What do you guys think??

[Edited on 6/13/02 by Eyes_Only]

Umpire Money

State Vice-Captain
Im an umpire

everyone is human. We all make mistakes
Just give them the benefit of the doubt.
If a third umpire is called for just about every decision why are we paying the umpires in the middle for.
Some sort of human judgement needs to be kept in the game.

Hey thats me being serious

This is me silly
hwahhha
8D 8D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Also, if umpires/referees got everything right, I think sport would lose an enormous amount of its appeal and idiosyncracies. How many of history's great sporting moments have been contentious or wrong decisions?

Let's start with 1966 for one...

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Im an umpire

everyone is human. We all make mistakes
Just give them the benefit of the doubt.
If a third umpire is called for just about every decision why are we paying the umpires in the middle for.
Some sort of human judgement needs to be kept in the game.

Hey thats me being serious

This is me silly
hwahhha
8D 8D
I agree with that as I am an umpire too and if the third umpire is called on too often, it does undermine your confedence in being able to make your own decisions based on what you see yourself!!

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
It doesn't matter who is on this umpiring panel. Not everyone
is going to be happy with it. You also would have to be very lucky
if you were a cricketer who wasn't given out to a bad call in your
life. Think about how hard it is to judge anything with a ball 150+ km/h.
It would be aweful if we had to go to the 3rd umpire every time.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
It doesn't matter who is on this umpiring panel. Not everyone
is going to be happy with it. You also would have to be very lucky
if you were a cricketer who wasn't given out to a bad call in your
life. Think about how hard it is to judge anything with a ball 150+ km/h.
It would be aweful if we had to go to the 3rd umpire every time.
Not only that, I think too much time is already wasted when the Third Umpire is called on. If the Umpires use it all the time, think of the time that it will take!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Also, if umpires/referees got everything right, I think sport would lose an enormous amount of its appeal and idiosyncracies. How many of history's great sporting moments have been contentious or wrong decisions?

Let's start with 1966 for one...
Indeed - it's recently been proven that the West German 2nd Goal was offside...

Everyone moans about the umpires / referees / assistant referees, but it's amazing how many close decisions they get spot on, and it takes several replays to show they were right.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Asoka de Silva shouldn't be on the élite panel
I thought that I would resurrect this one. I wasn't that impressed with de Silva when I first saw him, but this summer at Headingley and The Oval he has impressed me no end.

Credit where credit's due?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Five months on, I'm prepared to retract that statement and say that he is totally worthy of a place amongst the élite.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well said, Neil.

I must confess to a little mischief-making there because I have just been reviewing some of the posts which were around before I was (on CricketWeb).

Because you are such a good sport (IMO) I knew that you would retract. Gonna dig the dirt on Marc next. :D