• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in England

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
April 2009
Tue 21 - Thu 23
11:00 local, 10:00 GMT Leicestershire v West Indians
Grace Road, Leicester
Sat 25 - Mon 27
11:00 local, 10:00 GMT Essex v West Indians
County Ground, Chelmsford
Thu 30 - Sun 3
11:00 local, 10:00 GMT England Lions v West Indians
County Ground, Derby

May 2009
Wed 6 - Sun 10
11:00 local, 10:00 GMT 1st Test - England v West Indies
Lord's, London
Thu 14 - Mon 18
11:00 local, 10:00 GMT 2nd Test - England v West Indies
Riverside Ground, Chester-le-Street
Thu 21
10:45 local, 09:45 GMT 1st ODI - England v West Indies
Headingley, Leeds
Sun 24
10:45 local, 09:45 GMT 2nd ODI - England v West Indies
County Ground, Bristol
Tue 26
10:45 local, 09:45 GMT 3rd ODI - England v West Indies
Edgbaston, Birmingham

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I know Hinds looked pretty dire in the home series, but he'd add more options to a squad than Dave Bernard, surely - particularly when Sammy is already there.

I'm also surprised Bravo isn't there. I know he hasn't had a lot of cricket since he returned from that long injury, but I think you can afford to carry someone a little bit underdone when it's a 17-man squad, and he looked like he was getting back into decent stride in the ODIs. Has he picked up another injury or something?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Will a mod move the relevant posts from the England in WI thread in here?
The problem with that is, the top post of this thread was actually made after those posts, so the earliest one made would actually become the start of the thread. I'll see what I can do though.

roseboy64

Yeah figured that might be aproblem. And about Bravo, AFAIK he's feeling some soreness with the ankle and he's being rested in the longer form.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Best WI XI then:

Gayle
Richards
Sarwan
Simmonds
Chanderpaul
Nash
Ramdin
Taylor
Edwards
Pascal
Richardson

Rampaul should have been taken.

Craig

World Traveller
How good is Ramdin's captaincy? Or is the best of the rest outside of Gayle?

I know it is a short series (no T20! :mellow:), but it is good to see the West Indians will have some proper practice matches.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pascal ahead of Rampaul?
Classic pace ahead of performance.
Simmons should get a run in the team now that he's debuted, but I think Deonarine is presently a better batsman by a fair way.

And Dave Bernard? He barely looked club standard when he was picked years ago. His performances for Jamaica since hardly suggested he's turned the many corners to become Test class.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How good is Ramdin's captaincy? Or is the best of the rest outside of Gayle?
Captained throughout age level, West Indies Under-19 and led the team very impressively in the T20 fixture v England. Quite competent, I'd say.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It was two years ago that they came. They are only playing this series because Zim got called off and then SL cancelled

Craig

World Traveller
Pascal ahead of Rampaul?
Simmons should get a run in the team now that he's debuted, but I think Deonarine is presently a better batsman by a fair way.

And Dave Bernard? He barely looked club standard when he was picked years ago. His performances for Jamaica since hardly suggested he's turned the many corners to become Test class.
Not having a go at you, but I vaguely remember myself for calling out Bernard's selection, and you pulled me up on it, suggesting that he was identified as being talented and was picked on that, implying I was wrong, but here you are suggesting Bernard should be nowhere near the team. That I'm not doubting you, you follow it more then what I do.

Craig

World Traveller
It was two years ago that they came. They are only playing this series because Zim got called off and then SL cancelled
In my mind I was thinking they had last toured in 2006, but then I remembered it was 2007. Either that or the years are blending into one.

roseboy64

Can't really back the decision to include Bernard. They probably feel his style of bowling will be helped in English conditions though, plus his batting. Maybe a replacement for Bravo.

roseboy64

Pascal ahead of Rampaul?
QUOTE]

Not sure Pascal will be likely to play any Tests. Deonarine could force his way in ahead of Simmons based on how they go in the warmups. Smith v Richards as well. A four pronged pace attack of Edwards, Taylor, Richardson/Baker and one of Bernard/Sammy is what I expect.