• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in England

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You're just mad because I've faced someone in the nets that is a faster bowler then Broad. :laugh:
Off topic- what's the deal with people on forums making a bad joke then following it with a ":laugh:"? If someone said something like this in person, then immediately burst out laughing, there'd be some awkwaaaard silence.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
It depends what make and model speed gun Sky use but for what it's worth, Anderson is bowling the speed he usually does and you'd expect that to be higher if the guns were playing up.

Broad does seem to have put on some extra pace, it was innevitable since he is 6'5" and just starting to fill out. Very tall people generally don't start to fill out til they're early 20's.

A direct comparison of how he looked when he was first in the team and now will show he's added a bit of muscle. I'm sure Otis Gibson has worked with him on maintaining rhythm through an action so that's probably helped.

As for Meaker, he had the ability to bowl really fast (96mph isan official ECB clocking) but it's true he only hit 91.5mph top speed on sky so don't know what that's about.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Off topic- what's the deal with people on forums making a bad joke then following it with a ":laugh:"? If someone said something like this in person, then immediately burst out laughing, there'd be some awkwaaaard silence.
Hardly classify what I just said as a joke, but the laugh icon is mainly used to degrade the guy that you quoted. It's funny because when you use it on guys like King Pietersen or Richard then it usually triggers a reaction. :dry:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hardly classify what I just said as a joke, but the laugh icon is mainly used to degrade the guy that you quoted.
Haha no it's not, it's used to laugh. I'm not sure how a small yellow laughing circle degrades someone miles away, nor why exactly you'd want to degrade them.

Odd.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Haha no it's not, it's used to laugh. I'm not sure how a small yellow laughing circle degrades someone miles away, nor why exactly you'd want to degrade them.

Odd.
Well I'm sure you wouldn't walk around with a big cheesy grin on your face if you were in a serious arguement and a bystander started laughing at you.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
No way in hell has broad hit 93mph, deffo speed gun aberration. Watch the speedos this summer vs australia, if they've got braod at 93, they'll have johnson at 100+, but I'm willing to bet that broad mysteriously drops to 85 when johnson's hitting 94.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
Stuart Meaker : SPIN - The Cricket Magazine - nah, he was actually timed at 92mph.
Thanks for that, mate! Never seen that before and after you mentioned he only clocked 91.5mph on TV recently I was wondering what the hell was going on.

Surrey cricket need to get their **** sorted (check this out from their official site "Player Profile" of Meaks): "After recently being clocked by an ECB Speed Test at 96mph, there are a lot of people getting very excited about the potential of Stuart Meaker. An old fashioned fast bowler of genuine pace and aggression – Meaker, a graduate of the Pemberton Greenish Surrey Academy – made his first team debut in the final LV County Championship game of 2008, taking match figures of 3-86. On top of his quick bowling, the former Cranleigh schoolboy is also a useful lower order batsman, averaging 32.40 for the second XI in 2008. During the winter, Meaker played for Fairfield Liverpool CC in the Sydney Grade League, bowling alongside Australian Test bowler Doug Bollinger and being mentored by former Surrey star Matthew Nicholson".

Could he have been tested again and clocked the same speed? I doubt it so Surrey are telling porkies. He may still get up to 96mph I suppose, I'm looking at him to be a 90mph average speed man.

I don't know what Kevin Shine was saying about the speed guns making 92mph actually clock 95-96mph on TV speed guns cos generally they are accurate to within 0.1mph nowadays (if you spend money which Sky TV probably don't. Lol). Certainly not 4mph! Lol

The "Stalker" guns are probably the most consistently accurate around, I'm not sure which ones Sky use though. Do you know?

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Broad was hitting 90 in ODIs last summer, it's in Tests that he's upped his pace
Well we'll see this summer, never seen him really trouble a batsmen with pace, he's definitely not near Steyn and Johnson's pace, neither him nor anderson are ever spoken about by batsmen or coaches as genuine quicks either, I don't trust those sky speedo's or a second. He's high 80's at best IMO, Anderson maybe touches 90 on occasion, if they were really bowling that quick they'd be a hell of a lot more effective on flat decks. Even Strauss recently said that England don't have a bowler who can blast batsmen out (he was making a reference to Akhtar), which you can do if you bowl 93mph. 90+ is seriously seriously quick, neither broad nor anderson are that.

Last edited:

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Thanks for that, mate! Never seen that before and after you mentioned he only clocked 91.5mph on TV recently I was wondering what the hell was going on.

Surrey cricket need to get their **** sorted (check this out from their official site "Player Profile" of Meaks): "After recently being clocked by an ECB Speed Test at 96mph, there are a lot of people getting very excited about the potential of Stuart Meaker. An old fashioned fast bowler of genuine pace and aggression – Meaker, a graduate of the Pemberton Greenish Surrey Academy – made his first team debut in the final LV County Championship game of 2008, taking match figures of 3-86. On top of his quick bowling, the former Cranleigh schoolboy is also a useful lower order batsman, averaging 32.40 for the second XI in 2008. During the winter, Meaker played for Fairfield Liverpool CC in the Sydney Grade League, bowling alongside Australian Test bowler Doug Bollinger and being mentored by former Surrey star Matthew Nicholson".

Could he have been tested again and clocked the same speed? I doubt it so Surrey are telling porkies. He may still get up to 96mph I suppose, I'm looking at him to be a 90mph average speed man.

I don't know what Kevin Shine was saying about the speed guns making 92mph actually clock 95-96mph on TV speed guns cos generally they are accurate to within 0.1mph nowadays (if you spend money which Sky TV probably don't. Lol). Certainly not 4mph! Lol

The "Stalker" guns are probably the most consistently accurate around, I'm not sure which ones Sky use though. Do you know?
I play for Fairfield-Liverpool in a lower grade and he didn't play along side Bollinger once as Bollinger was on state & international duties. I can't believe Meaks can bowl 90mph, lol.

Fairfield-Liverpool First Grade - Player Profile

Howsie

International Captain
Well we'll see this summer, never seen him really trouble a batsmen with pace, he's definitely not near Steyn and Johnson's pace, neither him nor anderson are ever spoken about by batsmen or coaches as genuine quicks either, I don't trust those sky speedo's or a second. He's high 80's at best IMO, Anderson maybe touches 90 on occasion, if they were really bowling that quick they'd be a hell of a lot more effective on flat decks. Even Strauss recently said that England don't have a bowler who can blast batsmen out (he was making a reference to Akhtar), which you can do if you bowl 93mph. 90+ is seriously seriously quick, neither broad nor anderson are that.
He did bounce Sarwan out on 100.

Woodster

International Captain

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I play for Fairfield-Liverpool in a lower grade and he didn't play along side Bollinger once as Bollinger was on state & international duties. I can't believe Meaks can bowl 90mph, lol.
We have a player that's played a number of seasons at my club from Fairfield-Liverpool. What grade do you play over there ?
When did English club cricket start being referred to as grade? :blink:

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain

Fairfield-Liverpool First Grade - Player Profile
Ah cool. Some inside info.

How fast was he in comparison to others you faced- would you say he is really a "fast-medium" bowler?

Are you a NSW academy player btw? I'm assuming the 91 in your name is the year of birth (?).