• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in England

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Have to admit that seems strange, anyone would be unfortunate to get left out for the next test. Bell has just given a demonstration of his failings in last few innings, getting out in the twenties or thirties after looking good and Sidebottom hasn't looked 100% in his games so far.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bell. Ha, Jeez. Positive move with eye on the future, that.

Can see him in for Brezza too; fat lad was basically a passenger apart from that catch.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Bell recalled for the 2nd test.
Spineless idiots those English selectors. Absolutely pathetic that. I think I might be physically sick, he's done nothing, I mean absolutely nothing to show that he's improved, I hope Johnson ends his already far too long international career this summer. Bopara must seething considering how many runs he's had to hit to get a place.

Fair enough recalling sidebottom, but I'm not sure he's fit though, seems a bit unnecessary putting him through a test match at this stage.

jondavluc

State Regular
This Selection has got me thinking about three things

1. When did I stop laughing at the name Sidebottom like a little school girl
2. Ian bell look like a toad
3.It seems a little odd to bring back Sidebottem and bell now.Sidebottom has only just gotten into the swing of things he selection is too early yet.Ian bell has got some runs early on in the english season and selectors didn't pick him because they wanted to see more "form" . Yet hasn't got many since then and got picked in the squad.8-)I may of disagreed with the selectors for dropping him but **** if they think he should be dropped show some ****ing conviction.Make him work for his spot.

The English selectors are baffling they really are.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Trying to work out which selection is worse, Bell or Sidebottom. It's a tough one.

I mean Bell, who clearly has mental issues which until they're corrected make him useless as a Test batsman. He's shown nothing to suggest those issues are gone. Flat track bully and then disappears after an attractive cameos (if you're lucky) when it matters. I expect England want the option of more batting on what will generally be a pitch at Durham which has a bit in it for bowlers (but will still be fine for batsmen) - however picking a flat track bully isn't much use and it sends all the wrong messages selecting Bell anyway.

Sidebottom who clearly hasn't been fit and has repeatedly been picked too early has been called up with little country cricket behind when you have 4 seamers who certainly should not be dropped in favour of another seamer in the middle of a two Test series.

At least donkey Panesar was left out, but I'm sure that'll only be temporary.

Two steps forward, three hundred steps back.

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Indeed.. I was feeling quite enthused after the actual selection for Lord's, the style of play and the interviews I've seen with Andy Flower.. but the re-inclusion of Bell in the squad just seems totally at odds with the messages we've been getting about him having to 'toughen up in county cricket'

I'm sure that the selection would have been a 'committee decision' with Flower being outvoted and if he actually plays on Thursday, I'll be surprised.

With regards to Sidebottom, they should have left him to find form form and fitness with Nottinghamshire. Bringing him back this quick, particularly with his recent track record of getting injured when recalled too soon, just doesn't seem logical....

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Trying to work out which selection is worse, Bell or Sidebottom. It's a tough one.

I mean Bell, who clearly has mental issues which until they're corrected make him useless as a Test batsman. He's shown nothing to suggest those issues are gone. Flat track bully and then disappears after an attractive cameos (if you're lucky) when it matters. I expect England want the option of more batting on what will generally be a pitch at Durham which has a bit in it for bowlers (but will still be fine for batsmen) - however picking a flat track bully isn't much use and it sends all the wrong messages selecting Bell anyway.

Sidebottom who clearly hasn't been fit and has repeatedly been picked too early has been called up with little country cricket behind when you have 4 seamers who certainly should not be dropped in favour of another seamer in the middle of a two Test series.

At least donkey Panesar was left out, but I'm sure that'll only be temporary.

Two steps forward, three hundred steps back.
Bell, marginally, IMHO. Means he's the next in line when he's not really done anything to justify it. Sid can at least cut it if his back allows him, although that is the mother of all "ifs", admittedly.

Surely, even if a reserve batman and seamer were necessary for the squad, it sends out the wrong message to revert to the tried and failed/crippled? Only runs Bell has scored has been on the Taunton motorway. Surely a new face like Trott or Hildreth would sow more positive intent? Ditto Woakes or, I dunno, Joseph for Sid. It was the newbie who did the damage in the first test, after all.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Admittedly it would probably be Patel as next in line if he was judged to be fit enough though.
Yeah, right enough and I've no problem with him not being selected given he's now had his card marked twice about his pie retention/fitness issues and (apparently) not had enough about him to raise his game, I just think Bell getting the nod is so safe and predictable. If he was cutting a swathe thru the CC then fair dos, but he's not.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, right enough and I've no problem with him not being selected given he's now had his card marked twice about his pie retention/fitness issues and (apparently) not had enough about him to raise his game, I just think Bell getting the nod is so safe and predictable. If he was cutting a swathe thru the CC then fair dos, but he's not.
He should have to score tough runs before being allowed anywhere near the Test side. England don't need another Ramprakash.

He will inevitably fill his boots against rubbish. That's what he does.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sidebottom's horribly unfit. Looked like a broken down mule when i saw him last week. Should be nowhere near the England team at the moment, and i don't believe he's going to get much better sadly.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
How many players in the first XI have never played in England (including U19 and A tours) before, Nash and Benn?

Gayle, Sarwan, Chanderpaul have toured multiple times and were huge disappointments, as was Jerome Taylor, who has not only toured England with the Windies before but played county cricket as well.
Smith has but the others have only played league cricket and that's not the same quality as county cricket. Have heard from numerous people who're from the Caribbean that it's more difficult now than later in the season when the WI usually tour England. Makes a lot of difference. Is just personal opinion of a few though so don't know how true or not it is.