• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in England

Flem274*

123/5
ok fair enough haven't seen onions before and you probably no more about him.

I remember when Saj Mahmood debuted against SL he took three wickets and he was the new Glenn McGrath. Then he well...
No he's just incredibly Durham biased.

Btw, Ian Bell wouldn't succeed for us. He can't handle pressure, which is why he got the boot. He'd be Michael Papps in our country.

I'd much rather a long brick wall curved so it deflects the ball straight down. Won't score runs, but it won't get out either.

NZ Guy

U19 Captain
No he's just incredibly Durham biased.

Btw, Ian Bell wouldn't succeed for us. He can't handle pressure, which is why he got the boot. He'd be Michael Papps in our country.

I'd much rather a long brick wall curved so it deflects the ball straight down. Won't score runs, but it won't get out either.
tbh that would probably be the greatest bats...thing the world has ever seen. Imagine Atul Sharma bowling to it, with his 'pace' every ball would be a straight six!

EDIT:My bad

Flem274*

123/5
tbh that would probably be the greatest bats...thing the world has ever seen. Imagine Atul Sharma bowling to it, with his 'pace' every ball would be a straight six!
I think we should put it into production. We could say we found it in Mark Richardsons house. The unfortunate side affect is it might have recordings of his opinions on it, which would have to be removed.

NZ Guy

U19 Captain
I think we should put it into production. We could say we found it in Mark Richardsons house. The unfortunate side affect is it might have recordings of his opinions on it, which would have to be removed.
I seriously hope your not questioning the wisdom of Richardson!

Flem274*

123/5
I seriously hope your not questioning the wisdom of Richardson!
Not all of it, but some. I've been gagged on this topic by exasperated NZers, but you may have heard he wants a certain bowler in the team because he can bowl quickly even though his FC record involves a gigantic average? Yeah silly things he comes out with sometimes, he and Martin Crowe are good at it.

Coney, Boock and Smith ftw.

Flem274*

123/5
Anyway, disappointed the Windies fell awaay so easily. Was hoping they could show some more of what they did in the Carribean.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, inclined to agree. Bell has the heart of a pea.

Sky here just showed highlights of the 2005 Ashes (:wub:) to help fill up the airtime allotted for the 4th day and it was illustrative that amidst all the gritty batting efforts in the 5th test he bagged a pair.

Talented boy, but jeez he wants toughening up. Jury's still out on Ravi, but at least he looks like he thinks he should be in the team.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bell might not be good enough to play for England at the moment, but he's definitely better than Tim McIntosh and basically every other opener New Zealand have tried post-Richardson. He'd definitely get a run for them opening and average 35 odd IMO. That's not great and opening is obviously not his ideal batting position but he'd be a fair bit better than what they have currently.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Very disappointing performance from the West Indies. Showed a lack of application that is certainly worrying for a team supposedly on the rise.

Lost the plot on the morning of day 2. When the game is roughly all square overnight, such a poor effort to show up the next morning and show a total lack of intensity. The bowling was half-hearted, fielders lacked any buzz, and Chris Gayle did what Chris Gayle does best, hands in pocket. The game was lost from that point; momentum of game had switched towards England.

West Indies supporters really should expect more from this side now. If ever there was a moment for this team to stand up, it is now. Chanderpaul won't be around forever.
Everyone was. They were using hand warmers. Not that they were bubbling with energy otherwise mind.

Oh and this is a team that's lost one series out of the 4 they've played since the start of last year's home season. Should have done better but first time for a lot of the guys playing in English conditions against quality bowlers not club cricketers. We'll see the response from this but it was nice to see Ramdin and Nash put something together.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Line is 4 games. Over or under for the number of games Bresnan will play in his Test match career?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I reckon over. He'll play another next week, and then a few more next time Freddie is injured. Unless Samit Patel gets fit.

TheEpic

School Boy/Girl Captain
Almost as bad as the OTT Onions hype after 1 game is the total write-off of Bresnan. He only bowled about 7 overs in the entire game for god sake! And this came at a time when the sun was out and West Indies were enjoying their only decent partnership of the entire match. He bowled tidily as well too, it wasn't as though he was serving up total dross. He certainly bowled better than Broad who was at the other end for a part of Bresnan's spell. AND he got sawn off when he was batting.

Perhaps Bresnan will prove to not be up to this level, but people suggesting he shouldn't play in Chester le Street need their heads examining. That type of kneejerk selection policy is precisely why England have had so many problems over the years.

Plus apparently his favourite food is 'carvery' according to The Observer today. We need more normal Northern lads in the side! :laugh:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
People keep mentioning the "Onions hype", but I've seen precious little either on CW or in any of the various meedja outlets.

There's been due recognition of a decent debut, but praise has come with several caveats (helpful pitch, average batting line up, bowled too many four balls, etc)

Flem274*

123/5
Bell might not be good enough to play for England at the moment, but he's definitely better than Tim McIntosh and basically every other opener New Zealand have tried post-Richardson. He'd definitely get a run for them opening and average 35 odd IMO. That's not great and opening is obviously not his ideal batting position but he'd be a fair bit better than what they have currently.
............stop depressing me.

Anyway, well done to Onions, had nfi he was anywhere near selection and nfi he was much chop, but well done to an excellent debut.

James_W

U19 Vice-Captain
Can imagine Glenn Chapple watching Bresnan's England career with interest and thinking 'if only i was 10 years younger'
Forgot Chapple existed. How he never played for England I will never know. I think he was called up to the ODI side a few years ago and got injured but he should've been given a go much earlier.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Forgot Chapple existed. How he never played for England I will never know. I think he was called up to the ODI side a few years ago and got injured but he should've been given a go much earlier.
He played one game I know, it was against either Ireland or Scotland. And I think it was only a partial game - England batting and their opponents not facing the full 50.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Line is 4 games. Over or under for the number of games Bresnan will play in his Test match career?
Both Bresnan and Onions were picked on very recent form/potential as their career stats indicate that they shouldnt be anywhere near the team

From a technical perspective, Bresnan looked quite solid but it was a worry that he hardly moved a ball on a great surface for bowlers. Should that continue, he'll be the first to go once Freddie is fit or selectors decide they need more batting

I've also got a feeling that this test was merely a honeymoon for Onions and his technical deficiencies will result in a very abbreviated test career - say, 3 - 10 tests

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Everyone was. They were using hand warmers. Not that they were bubbling with energy otherwise mind.

Oh and this is a team that's lost one series out of the 4 they've played since the start of last year's home season. Should have done better but first time for a lot of the guys playing in English conditions against quality bowlers not club cricketers. We'll see the response from this but it was nice to see Ramdin and Nash put something together.
How many players in the first XI have never played in England (including U19 and A tours) before, Nash and Benn?

Gayle, Sarwan, Chanderpaul have toured multiple times and were huge disappointments, as was Jerome Taylor, who has not only toured England with the Windies before but played county cricket as well.